[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you used the Kangaroo Plus or the somewhat similar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 83-722-001-17-640x480.jpg (14 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
83-722-001-17-640x480.jpg
14 KB, 640x480
Have any of you used the Kangaroo Plus or the somewhat similar Intel ComputeSticks etc.?

I want to use one to run Plex, Kodi, and SickRage and keep it plugged in behind my TV 24/7. Surely this thing has enough power to do just that right?

I'm tired of having my desktop running all the time. It consumes too much power and is probably shortening the hardwares lifespan.

Any user experiences would be appreciated.
>>
>>55215553

I should mention that I would of course being added an external harddrive to actually hold everything. The 64gb onboard wouldn't last very long.
>>
>>55215553
I was looking at these the other day. I read they get warm.
>>
>>55215654

I've heard the same thing. I've got a few USB fans that I install in helmets for 501st troops that I figured I'd plug into it and have blowing on it to help keep it cool.
>>
I don't have the plus but I use mine for steam streaming and sometimes for media it's a great little device it seems to get the job done
>>
>>55215689
It doesn't get hot enough to do any damage and stays cool on battery power too
>>
>>55215717
>>55215689

If you can use it for that then I should be fine running those other things on it. I've found a few other reviews online with some more searching that seem to say it should be fine for those uses too.
>>
>>55215553
>buy Amazon FireTV for half the cost
>actually have a decent warranty and customer service
>does all of the same shit with far less work

HTPCs are dead and thank fuck I have one less computer to bug me. I have enough shit on my plant.
>>
>>55216159
I use a fireTV, it used to be okay with firestarter before they banned/broke it, and the specs are good. But the entire interface is ads for amazon services and you have to go through 2 or 3 tiers of menus just to access your third party apps. Plus you have to side load shit like kodi in order to install it. Its pretty disgusting desu senpai.
>>
>>55216270
What? Shit like Kodi is right there in the home menu. Plus, it's easy to find the instructions for how to auto-launch applications on boot.

But oh darn you have to spend a whole 2 minutes side loading an application a single fucking time. That's totally not worth it! Might as well maintain an entire fucking desktop operating system instead. That's much easier!
>>
>>55216159
>>55216360

Please tell me how I'm going to run Plex Media Server and SickRage on any Amazon Fire device.

Oh wait, I can't? Then you're entire argument is ruined by the shit that was in the OP.
>>
>>55217313
But you can. I have plex and kodi on my fire TV stick even. You can install apps through adb wifi without rooting.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.