[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of switching careers from a completely unrelated,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: matrix_code.jpg (951 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
matrix_code.jpg
951 KB, 1680x1050
I'm thinking of switching careers from a completely unrelated, to writing code.

How hard is it? Where should i start, what should i learn, where are the big bucks?

I'm thinking either learning to code for websites or android apps.

I'm almost 30.
>>
>>55213576
>How hard is it?
A minute to learn, a lifetime to master

>what should i learn
Web dev is generally less hassle than Android apps for getting started.

>Where should i start
Any Ruby on Rails or Django tutorial.

>where are the big bucks
Tech giants, like Google and Facebook
>>
>>55213576
>I'm almost 30

You're already fucked.
>>
>>55213901
http://anewdomain.net/2014/12/11/dont-hire-anyone-30-ageism-silicon-valley/

http://www.businessinsider.com/stressful-lives-of-older-tech-workers-2015-11

http://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/team-building-and-staffing/are-you-too-old-for-it/d/d-id/1006268

just wanted to post link to let you know how fucked you are
>>
That's funny, I'm thinking of switching careers from writing code to ANYTHING ELSE
>>
>>55213901
>>55213916
Don't listen to them. I'm 32, been full time web dev for 2.5 years, all service industry before that. It's harder, but you can do it.
>>
>>55213576
one of my coworkers is a little under 30, started like 2 years ago, and will be a senior dev at my company soon probably. he works his ass off tho
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYF-R9IsPyM

Please watch this video.

You will not succeed in programming or any other field in Computing if you view it as only a career.
>>
>>55213992
What this guy said.

I'm this poster: >>55213966

And I grew up programming in the 90s, loved it, geeked out when I first wrote my first AOL punter in VB, just made bad choices on the middle of my life. I love programming and have a passion for it, so getting into it without a degree was natural because I already loved tech and could talk shop with professionals with degrees, no problem.

If you love it and are decent at it, you'll make it. If it's for money pinky, there's very little chance.
>>
>>55213576
wow you sure sound like you did a lot of research and got everything figured out, you horrendous retard.
>>
>>55213966
>web dev
lmao
>>
>>55213992
Thanks for linking this video, this guy is awesome. Sums up a lot of ideas I've been having lately about finding a career you like.
>>
>>55214119
Well I'm doing way better than before, restaurant management blew ass. Sure, I'm not some algorithm expert, but I've already beat out a bunch of CS degreed morons and will clear $100k easily this year. I'm constantly turning down job offers and shit; I'm happy add a clam on crack. Yeah, it's web dev, but doing it right matters just as much as serious software engineering to employers.
>>
>>55213887
google wont hire me after they check my search history.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.