[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scala language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: screen.png (22 KB, 190x85) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
22 KB, 190x85
Is Scala a language really worth learning or is it just a meme?
>>
It seems like it's becoming big and they have plans to build compilers to move it away from the JVM and to native binaries.

It's going to be interesting.
>>
>>55210652
what does that mean in codecademy programmer terms
>>
>>55210687
it means stick to php and wordpress, now suck my cock millennial trash.
>>
>>55210491
It's a meme

It compiles into java bytecode, so any benefit you may have gained from its vaguely functional nature is lost anyway. May as well learn a proper functional language that isn't bogged down by JVM.
>>
Oh Scala? Cool.

I keep meaning to learn Clojure.
>>
>>55210687
You can get jobs in the raddest monkey-slavesheds you can imagine with Scala.
>>
>>55210491
>jvm hosted languages

deprecated
>>
>>55210788
>It compiles into java bytecode, so any benefit you may have gained from its vaguely functional nature is lost anyway

You're mixing things up big time.
The main advantage you gain from functional programming is simpler programs that are easier to check and easier to re-use. Having code compile to JVM bytecode retains that advantage.
The big advantage of Java is not the language (everyone knows it's sub-par), it's the ecosystem and the JVM. Scala and Java are interoperable, so you retain those advantages while using a better language.
>>
>>55211816
Not really. The JVM does not support anonymous functions at all. They are implemented with huge hacks. You should see the call stacks, jesus christ.
>>
>>55211965
I have seen the call stacks. They're huge, but so what? It's all automatically generated and as long as that works out and the compiler is working correctly, I don't have a problem with it.
I ran into an issue where the compiler does, in fact not work correctly and enters an endless loop that stole a lot of my time yesterday until i even noticed what was up, so the language is very far from perfect. But the code -> bytecode compilation is the least of its issues, modern computers are fast enough and have enough memory to take a few more items on the call stack.
>>
>>55213344
>so what?
>compiler is working correctly
>endless loop
well, gee, what could be the problem there? surely not the 1 mile long call stack, amirite?
>until i even noticed
yeah, it's easy to confuse endless loops with actual compilation when it comes to scala
>compilation is the least of its issues
>modern computers are fast enough
except when the compiler gets stuck in an endless loop, right?
you're a fucking joke, just like the language
>>
>>55213436
Nah I needed so long to notice because I switched to another IDE and assumed it was an error with the IDE, not the compiler itself. Most of the time I wasted was with restarting the IDE before i got the idea of actually trying to run sbt, at which point i got enough information to work around it in five minutes (after seing the actual error message repeated infinitely).

FYI, this is the first time I've ran into a problem like this, it's got something to do with the list of subclasses of sealed traits being populated too late for use with some macros. The call stack has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>55210788

>says JVM is slow
>memes from 1995
>claims Scala is a meme
>>
>>55210491
Kotlin
>>
>>55210491
I tried it recently for a spark/cassandra/dse related thing, it seemed pretty nice but all I did was modify some code that was already written
>>
Over complicated, never meant to be more than an exhibit of things that are possible on the JVM.
>>
>>55210788
>It compiles into java bytecode, so any benefit you may have gained from its vaguely functional nature is lost anyway.

They told me /g/ was full of trolls. I wasn't prepared for this
>>
I like it. It's everything and the kitchen sink though.
>>
>>55210491
it makes me not want to kill myself when doing android development

apart from the fact that the scala plugins are never compatable with the latest gradle releases
>tfw no gradle 2
>>
>>55211816
You can't have tail calls because of JVM. That's retarded for a functional language.
>>
I'd rather learn GoLang
>>
It looks good in your resume
>>
>>55218379
Tail recursive calls are optimized to loops by the compiler. How do functional languages usually handle tail recursive calls and what makes how they handle them better than what scala does?
>>
it's good if you work alone or in a small team
>>
>>55210491
scala is good for enterprise micro-managed codemonkeys who are looking for even more bloat than java. that's about it.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.