[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it even possible to write not over-engineered software with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: filter_pattern_uml_diagram.jpg (28 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
filter_pattern_uml_diagram.jpg
28 KB, 560x420
Is it even possible to write not over-engineered software with Java? Why have I never seen a not over-engineered Java program?
>>
>>55203437
Are you retarded? You could write Java in a procedural style if you wanted, but then why are you using Java?
>>
>>55203437
What do you call over engineering?
>>
>>55204480
Some things just need a single function instead of a whole class, and not everything needs an interface.
But OOP abusers(I know a couple irl) who implement interfaces for everything even though they won't need more than a single implementation.
The "but what if I need another type of implementation in the future"? The answer is you probably don't if you don't know already.
>>
>>55204554
Interfaces are great, the real problem is the overuse of GoF patterns
>>
>>55204554
>The answer is you probably don't if you don't know already.
wat
>>
>>55204582
All developers should have to pay $10 each time to use a pattern
>>
>>55206028

>muh sekrit procedural spaghetti code, fuck everyone else who has to maintain it.

calm down kid.
>>
The syntax of the language, the convention to use extremely long variable names and the general form of the class libraries (despite being praised at the time, in actual fact mostly horrid - check out the insides of the crypto or string functions) informed the way people used it.

Also take into account its overhead, particularly in its former years, was huge (I saw 15 seconds to JRE executing first bytecode on some clients). When you have that much overhead, you get used to it, and the enterprisey garbage software stacks built on top by a generation of programmers who learned Java first at college/uni but didn't know how to restrain themselves yet, leveraged that complacency and OOP gone wild into ShitFactoryFactory monstrosities. And now Oracle. And Android.

Really, fuck Java.
>>
>>55207156
Linux kernel is spaghetti code now?
>>
>>55210888

we are talking about java you dumb fuck
>>
>>55204554
> I have never programmed anything remotely complex so the idea of UML diagrams scares me

You tremendous assface, you'd die if you'd try to write some huge ass program, like some banking-database shit.
Not to mention that somebody has to understand the code they inherit from you, after you die from over-masturbation.
And your edgy pure C code that only you understand and took 17 years to write but it's FEST AND OPTIMUZT could suck a ballsack of even a poorly-written Java made with OOP in mind.

And I hate Java.
>>
>>55211003
>sekrit procedural code
>>
>>55211026
this, fucking NEET C fags
>>
>>55210888
it is
>>
>>55211026
ayy lmao
>>
Electromechanical engineer here, the only programming course i've had was Java. Have I been out-memed by my own university, or is it a worthwhile language? I've been told C is better for robotics because of memory management but i'm just wondering if it is worth the effort of continuing to practice Java or not.
>>
>>55212463

Stick with C. If you want to work in embedded you'll be laughed at if you try to use Java.

I'm a computer engineer but I work for an automotive company programming their embedded board. There are somethings that would be too tedious to do in Java, hence it's not worth it.

Timing is everything.
>>
>>55212463
Java is pretty standard for universities.
Nicer if you just want to implement some algorithm without worrying too much about implementation details, plus stuff like BigInts and Collections already in the standard library.
>>
>>55203437

No, not really.
Don't get me wrong, Java is OK.

But even Java Senior Devellopers get wet when they try out a better langauge like Scala.

Not because Scala is so good, just because Java has a lot of design decisions that are pretty old and only get carried on because "muh backwards compatibility".

Refactoring n Java is also a pain in the arse.

Nah, it's OK that Java is widespread, but there are a lot of nicer languages out there.
>>
>>55203437
Holy fuck your grammar is atrocious.
>>
>>55213352
No. you'res are
>>
whats the difference between all the oop languages? i feel i like i could do everything in c#.
>>
>>55213598
Java has a huge and well organized standard library and is fairly consistent, but it has no actual memory management and writing it is fucking tedious

C++ is incredibly powerful and offers a lot of control, but it's a cluster fuck of design choices and is easy to write badly

C# is a better Java afaik, but I've never written any so I can't chime in on that
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.