[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, I'm Australian and want to get a virtual reality headset
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: smartphone.jpg (35 KB, 512x383) Image search: [Google]
smartphone.jpg
35 KB, 512x383
Hey, I'm Australian and want to get a virtual reality headset to basically play Elite: Dangerous and use virtual desktop.

I have a R9 280 but I was thinking of getting a RX 480 to use with a preowned DK2.

Or should I get an older HDK direct from Razer? They are about $479 AUD here compared to around 350 - 400 for a DK2.

I'd like to get the most future proof option, do you think the DK2 will last?

pls help, you decide my fate /g/
>>
>>55188222
First off, pretty sure Elite Dangerous (and most VR games in general) are compatible mostly/only with Vive or Oculus. OSVR HDK is nice, but you'll always have the short end of the compatibility stick.

Secondly, boththe HDK and DK2 are developer kits that are already obsoleted and not intended for long term use/support. There is no "future proofing" with them because they have no future.

VR headsets are NOT just monitors. The SDKs/runtimes/drivers for them are being updated and the tech itself is changing. If you get one, you'll really only be able to play games and tech demos built in 2015. Anything built for the CV1 (which is anything built in 2016 or later) won't run on the DK2 OR HDK.

Sorry to say but your only real option here is to buy a consumer/retail CV1 or Vive. At least these have widespread support, and the companies have commitments to support them for the foreseeable future.

Do not, I repeat, do not buy and HDK or DK2. They are already mostly useless now, and there's no plans/guarantee for games (like Elite Dangerous) to continue to support them in the future.

OSVR is nice, but don't shoot yourself in the foot getting one. Vive or CV1. There is no other viable option at this moment, especially for future use/support.
>>
>>55188608
Oh and I played Elite Dangerous on both the DK2 and CV1 with a 280x. I can't use high settings without frame rate issues, but at lower settings (which still look great in the headsets) it runs OK. Asynchronous Timewarp helps a lot too.

Can't comment on how well the 280x handles planetary landings as I didn't buy Horizons, but from what I hear it's more demanding.

So likely your 280 will work "ok" but not great.
>>
>>55188608
but money
;_:

You raise some really good points, thanks for your insight. I might hold off for now.
>>
>>55188222
You probably need more GPU oomph, and be careful about the API stuff: I'm not sure if the final Rift is supported at the moment, because Oculus changed the API terms on FD (e.g. has to be via the Oculus store, wtf).

Try the Vive. It's technically superior and backed by Valve and I've heard it works.

You might also consider head tracking solutions like TrackIR in the interim.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.