[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I start in learning to program, with the intent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: UnityLogoInv.jpg (18 KB, 550x287) Image search: [Google]
UnityLogoInv.jpg
18 KB, 550x287
Where should I start in learning to program, with the intent on game development? I'm pretty much starting from 0, and I am unsure whether I should first learn C++/C#/ or Java, or if I should just dive right in and try to work with Unity or something similar. This is as a hobby, but I would at least like to be able to make something. I know there are fucktons of video tutorials and all that, but I just can't really figure out where is best to start.
>>
>>55184389
Use C++, bind it to OpenGL, and make your own engine.

Or at the very least, find a less bloated engine than that one.
>>
>>55184416
I feel like trying to make my own engine from would be a lot to tackle coming from nothing as a hobbyist.

What engine would you suggest instead? Unreal?
>>
Whatever you're doing

Just start. Do something. Once you learn to program learning another language isn't as hard as learning to program at all.
>>
>>55184416
Unity is great, specially for noobs like OP. I don't think making an engine is a good idea for beginners.

>>55185662
This.
>>
>>55184389
The game dev general on /vg/ might be a better place to ask. Good luck though.
>>
>>55185707
Depends, I created simple 2D side scroller engine in C++ with SFML in less than a day
>>
>>55184416
>make your own engine
Don't.
I'm not sure which engines are bloated or not, but if you want 3D games I recommend staying with unity or switching to unreal engine. They're both great and the only major difference is that unity uses c#/javascript while unreal uses c++.
C++ is the easiest programming language to learn, although I prefer c# over it. There are plenty of sites/books/apps where you can learn either of those.
The devs of unreal have made a lot of videos to introduce new developers so that would be an excellent place to start. And if you're going to try and make a career out of games (however small it is), unreal is a better choice since it's completely free.
>>
>>55184389
try all three languages and choose the one that you like the most. sdl for c++, monogame for c#, and libgdx for java seem to be good libraries for building a video game. if you're new to programming then expect to spend a long time learning...
>>
>>55184389
doesn't matter
it'll take at least a couple years of 20+ hours a week before you can do anything
you'll quit before then.

might as well give up now, save yourself the time, and pick another hobby
>>
If Unity is your engine of choice, you could get started on C# as that's what you're going to use with Unity (other choices are UnityScript and Boo).

Start off with something simple, don't be too ambitious. Give yourself little projects.

>>55186112
>you'll quit before then.
Wrong attitude. Even if you come out of it having done nothing meaningful, it's still more useful than masturbating to hentai all day.
Just grasping basic concepts of programming would be something. So don't get discouraged, OP.
>>
check out alex okita's unity book. go through the entire book. you'll make it.
>>
>>55184416
Definitely don't do this. There is no need to reinvent the wheel and make your life more complicated, unless you want to for fun of course.
>>
OP here

Thanks for all the feedback. I've downloaded both Unreal and Unity so I will be toying with them both a little so see how they feel. I think I will also check out monogame as >>55186085 suggested.

>>55186409
I'll definitely add this to my buy list if I decide to go with Unity/C#. I like having a real book to read on my long train rides instead of staring at my screen.

And thanks >>55186112 for the vote of confidence, but I think I will go with the advice from >>55185662 on this one.
>>
>>55186754
If it takes you more than 3 days to call it quits I'd be extremely surprised.
good luck
>>
Not OP. Anyone can recommend any books/tutorials/etc. for C++? Been working with it for about half a year now but I still need to learn. Preferably something free or something I can torrent.
>>
>>55186825
you might be ready to start learning by solving problems
try hackerrank.com
try some easy challenges first
then do some harder ones

they get to a point where you wont be able to solve them (in time) without using good algos and data structures
and once you can do those, you're set
>>
>>55186879
Thanks
>>
I suggest starting with C++ and SFML. Write your own (simple) game engine, you'll probably learn more that way than by using ready bricks to build a game. You'll probably abandon your first project, but it won't be wasted time.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.