[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a reason they stopped making the 780 ti ages ago but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: NV_GeForce_GTX_780Ti_KV_FINAL_LR.jpg (391 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
NV_GeForce_GTX_780Ti_KV_FINAL_LR.jpg
391 KB, 2000x1333
Is there a reason they stopped making the 780 ti ages ago but the 750 ti is still around?
>>
>>55181232
>manufacturing cards with gimped drivers
>>
>>55181232
speaking of the 780 ti.
How much faster is the 1070 than a 780ti?
>>
>>55181315

Probably about 50 to 60% I guess.
>>
>>55181232
The 750ti is Maxwell, which is a current architecture. The 780ti was Kepler, which is depreciated architecture.

What often happens is that manufacturers will bin chips based on speed and/or defects. The poor performing chips become 750ti, the good performing chips become 970 or 980 chips. Manufactures use techniques to burn bridges to broken areas of the chip, or areas that marketing doesn't want accessible at a low price point.
>>
the 750ti was much more popular when the 900's came out because they were much cheaper and offered pretty good performance, while the 780ti was still pretty expensive and while it had better performance, anyone not buying a 900 series card when they came out was already in the 750ti budget zone

and further with that, the 750ti was the greatest time for GPU manufacturers, all 750ti's were top tier designs
>>
>>55181232
The 750 Ti is a Maxwell card, rather than Kepler like the rest of the 700 range. It is EoL now though.

>>55181315
It's about 100% faster than a 780 overclock vs overclock, so probably ~70-80% over a 780 Ti.
>>
>>55181361
The 750ti was a great chip. I jumped from a 460 to it, doubling performance and halving power consumption, for a little over a hundred bucks.
>>
>>55181361
Can confirm. I got a 2gb Zotac one for 110 over two years ago. Little guy can still handle any new game on the market at lower settings, and it never gets hot and only pulls about 50 watts under load.
>>
All the new cards coming out look impressive but I'm on a reference model 780 ti since they came out and I haven't encountered anything it can't handle. The card just gets hot if I don't bump up the fan profile.

When would you say I should look at upgrading?
>>
>>55181422
Yep. That chip was once-in-a-decade level of awesome. Nvidia hid it in the previous generation so it wouldn't eat 9xx series sales.
>>
>>55181433
I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a 970 and it doesn't choke on any of my games. I might get a 1070 for my rift, but even then, the only game the 970 isn't rift-worthy for is elite dangerous.

Keep an eye on AMD if you're really set on upgrading. The AMD 480 might give the modest performance increase you're looking for, without costing more than $200. The thing I'd be concerned about with AMD is heat, noise and power consumption. Some people don't care about that stuff though.
>>
>>55181434
Lol too true. It's funny when a company makes a budget product so great that their flagship models are rendered obsolete. Oh well. Hopefully we get a 1050ti at around the same price point.
>>
I could have sworn the 1080 was gonna be sold for like $600 back when it was just a rumour whispered in hushed tones
>>
>>55181434
Actually they really didn't. It's just an early Maxwell design that was released before the actual GTX 900 series and if it was a GTX 9xx it'd probably be something like a GTX 945.
It's slightly out performed by GTX 950. It also has an outdated feature set because it was a first generation Maxwell.

They make GTX 750s with cut down 960 chips these days BTW. Don't think they did the same to GTX 750 Ti though.
>>
>>55181315
>How much faster is the 1070 than a 780ti?
gayming-wise, probably a good 50%

But workstation-wise (adobe, iray, etc), it's actually slower.
>>
>>55182741
is that why the kepler titan still holds value?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.