[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stuff on old tech that you wish was on new tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: acer_5520_from_left.jpg (48 KB, 1024x784) Image search: [Google]
acer_5520_from_left.jpg
48 KB, 1024x784
the volume scroll wheel on this laptop. im using it right now and its awesome and accesible realy easily
>>
Acer gemstone series was my first laptop.
I still have mine, but the internals have rusted to hell, and I'm pretty sure the display turned a deep piss yellow.

It also overheated when you closed the lid and would literally cook the keyboard membrane together and render it inoperable.
I had to send it in for warranty twice.
I still miss it.
>>
Being able to skip ahead of copyright shit and trailers on VHS.

Being able to fast-forward smoothly on VHS.

Being able to just pop in a tape and continue right where I left off on VHS.
>>
i love the little "thinklight" on older thinkpads that lights up the keyboard from the screen

i also miss easily acessible internals, i tried to replace the HDD in my moms dell from a year or so ago and it required removing the keyboard, entire back cover of the laptop, some tiny little screws that required a special size microdrive to get out of area where the disk drive was, and the issue of plugging in those annoying little ribbon cables

just to get to the hard drive, unplug it (which was a bitch on its own) and put a new one in

with my t42 i take out one screw and the entire thing comes out in a little bay
>>
File: t43.jpg (221 KB, 516x548) Image search: [Google]
t43.jpg
221 KB, 516x548
>>55179686
Laptops with almost zero bezel, just a nice square display that filled the entire lid.

I also miss how video game consoles used to be plug and play.
Now modern games requires 20GB of day-one patches just to play single player and almost no games feature local splitscreen anymore.
Why do game consoles exist anymore if they have all of PC gaming's problems now?
>>
>>55179758
the ribbon cables really suck, i destroyed my other laptop from rage when i couldnt plug them in properly
>>
>>55179823
Thinkpads without memepads.
>>
>>55179823
Laptops with usable keyboards.
>>
>>55179718
I had an acer just like pic related except it was a celery version. Mine developed a faulty temperature sensor, which would cause the fan to kick in to late and the computer would shut down to prevent burning the CPU. Also, I had password on POST, for some reason it quit accepting the password, so it was rendered unusable.
>>
>>55179686
Yes, I fucking miss that wheel. 7720G fag here.
>>
>>55179686
Proper status indicators that just tell me straight up about simple things like whether the fuck my battery is charging or not without having to open the damn thing, boot it or log in, and check what the OS reports

Expansion that isn't a total afterthought

Design that doesn't look like shit
>>
>55179686
4:3 displays, and the kinds of keyboards found on 90s ThinkPads.

I see so much praise for the keyboards on mid 2000s ThinkPads, but while they were good for the time, they were still a huge downgrade from the keyboards used back in the 90s.
>>
4:3 displays
>>
>>55179686
>acorn
yea nah fuck that
>>
Goddamn wooden features.

I want wooden inlays on all my tech, ever, please.

Honestly I get that it isn't cost effective compared to plastic but I'd pay that bit extra for that quality look. It's cheaper than brushed metal and looks nicer desu senpai.
>>
File: nope.gif (1 MB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
1 MB, 500x490
>>55179686
I just miss the simplicity back when things just werked. Any decent tech these days is filled with the most retarded features that only serve to drive up the price. Wireless charging, fancy speakers, dual sim slots, health apps, curved glass, etc. It's all bullshit. I want something like the iPhone 4 and an old 2006 intel macbook again. I'm also super pissed that Apple moved the root directory in iOS 9 so the jailbreaks are now useless. I want to go back to 2009.
>>
>>55179686
I had an Acer Aspire 5315 that looked similar. It came with Vista installed but I downgraded it to XP. I used it all the time years back, but I can't remember what happened to it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132 KB, 1024x964) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132 KB, 1024x964
>>55181338
>>
16:10 displays and no numpads on laptops
Touchpad buttons
Laptops with upgrade-able components
Laptops which don't look like half-assed applel copies
>>
File: readout.jpg (46 KB, 600x254) Image search: [Google]
readout.jpg
46 KB, 600x254
>>55179686
The OLED screens that ASUS used to have on their gaming laptops.

I'd use them for displaying information like temps, FPS, and resource usage.

It was so cool
>>
File: AIDS cables.jpg (142 KB, 1614x1064) Image search: [Google]
AIDS cables.jpg
142 KB, 1614x1064
>>55179830
on my X220T there's a ZIF cable for the touchpad that I just leave unplugged since the touchpad is shit anyway
>>
>>55181534
I believe there is an option in the BIOS to turn that shit off, but I see what you're getting at.

It's sad I can't do the same on X220 without losing fingerprint scanner capability.
>>
>>55181566
I'd like to use the fingerperint scanner on mine, but it didn't come with one, and it looks like I'd have to get a entirely new display for it.
It's amusing to hand it to a normie and have them be confused by the touchpad not working
>>
>>55181489
you're in luck, apple is copying this soon
>>
>>55181616
There exists a 90s Thinkpad commercial where they show the trackpoint as one of the main selling points of the Thinkpad, but don't mention what it even is - Like it's just assumed that anyone watching that commercial would know what a trackpoint is and why it improves usability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6---yUoQBQc

In the short time of only 15 years, it seems that almost nobody knows what a trackpoint is anymore, outside of older folk who happened to use one back in those days.
>>
Holy shit the memories.

I miss the comfort of my 5920.
>>
>>55181659
Sort of. Asus's is in addition to a keyboard, Apple's is replacing a row of keys in the keyboard.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.