[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to run raspbian in a virtual machine? It would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: raspbian-logo.png (215 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
raspbian-logo.png
215 KB, 777x656
Is there a way to run raspbian in a virtual machine? It would be awesome if I could boot the image and set it all up before I copy it to an sd card.
>>
Can you explain the reasoning behind wanting to do this?
>>
>>55178186
Two reasons

First, the pi is the slowest device I own, and for the project I'm working on it would be nice to iterate quickly.

Second, after I have the image i want, I can wipe the SD card and replace it at will
>>
yeah, but you have to use a different kernel, which is possible with QEMU. not sure how well your set up programs work when you run it with the pi kernel, rest assured that probably all packages that use specific x86 code will break once the real arm kernel is used.

just plug the fucker in, ssh into it and set everything up. not worth the hassle
>>
>>55178336
I'd like to set it up once and be able to reproduce it. Is it worth learning ansible or something, or should i just set it up manually and dd the card when I'm done?
>>
>>55178173
install gentoo on it
>>
>>55178396
yeah set one up to your liking, clone the sd card with dd and put it on other pis, that works just fine.
>>
>>55178313
have you considered cross compiling the project?
>>
>>55178672
Is there a good ARM cross compiler for x86?
>>
>>55178672
It's more of a configuration-heavy project. That's what I meant by reproducible. The code is a lot of bash and python, so not really a candidate for cross-compilation.
>>55178672
I'll probably go with this, thank you.
>>
>>55178173

Is your project something you could get into a docker image? I'm not an expert, but it was designed so that you can bundle your app with all its dependencies.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.