[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu Disk Encryption
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160618_170232827.jpg (4 MB, 5248x2952) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160618_170232827.jpg
4 MB, 5248x2952
I just recently lost a user directory to the abyss because I lost its decryption key. Now I'm reinstalling and doubting whether I should use any encryption at all. I'm in a house where I doubt anyone will try to steal data from it and I'm not storing anything shady/questionable. (maybe a couple ripped movies and songs for Plex) Thoughts?

Picture unrelated.
>>
>>55177937
You can make a LUKS image file and store your couple ripped movies and songs there.

But if you use the system every day you shouldn't forget the password. Write it down and after using it for a week you can burn the paper.
>>
File: 1466450081270-b.png (341 KB, 440x454) Image search: [Google]
1466450081270-b.png
341 KB, 440x454
>>55177937
>NOT USING XUBUNTU
>NOT MAKING A LUKS.EXT4 FS
>>
>>55177986
Well I didn't lose the login credentials, I just lost the 50 character key I used to encrypt the home directory. And how does one go about creating a LUKS image within the user directory, because that's where they'd be.
>>
On one hand, it is a pretty shitty argument to say "you have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide." But on the other hand, some people literally have nothing to hide. My computers are practically barren wastelands. I have nothing valuable to keep saved locally.

Maybe consider doing that. Then you don't have to worry about encryption. No files, no saved logins, etc. Just the OS and whichever programs you use, with anything you create using those programs saved elsewhere.
>>
>>55178060
I don't want anyone reaching into my ass to root around. That's why I love TrueCrypt. But I really hate ecryptfs because it's pretty retarded.
>>
>>55178110
But if there's nothing to find in your ass, it really doesn't matter. Is there some insinuation here that you expect people to plant keyloggers or something?
>>
>>55178144
Nah I'm just paranoid.

To hell with it I'm just skipping encryption.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.