[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I fuck up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: arch-linux-logo_400x400.png (103 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
arch-linux-logo_400x400.png
103 KB, 400x400
Installing arch on my acer veriton v5 right now after years of using *buntu. Did I fall for a meme?
>>
nah, if you don't fuck it up too much it's more stable than ubuntu
>>
modern linux core is too stable to fuck up.
just make sure you have a way to remote in if you mess up your wm like most 1st time arch users do
>>
>>55176344
actually my first time with arch went super smooth, it was the third time that fucked me over big time.
>>
>>55176174
keep calm and read the arch wiki.
you can say whatever you want about arch or the userbase.
the wiki however is without a shadow of a doubt the best wiki on the entire internet.
>>
File: archbuntu.jpg (82 KB, 455x340) Image search: [Google]
archbuntu.jpg
82 KB, 455x340
You just went from a Tesla running smoothly to an old school Volkswagen Beetle that you need to fill up with oil every 2 days because it's leaking.
>>
>>55176344
Sounds like a really good idea. Thanks for pointing out. I think having another laptop with working wm + both connected to the network is enough to do so, isn't it?
>>
>>55176363
sorry to hear that mate. What happened? Any pitfalls (except the wm) to look out for?

>>55176385
It really is helpful so far! I like how concise and clear the wording is. Reads like a wikipedia article.

>>55176334
Don't underestimate my "fuck up power"!
>>
>>55176416
for the same needs:
post install packages ubuntu: ~1700
post install packages archlinux: ~600
You have EVERYTHING you need on both systems. I dare you to call this bloated piece of shit a Tesla.
For most users the only difference is the
sudo systemctl enable xxx.service
after installation on arch.
>>
>>55176676
504 packages, even after i riced.

>>55176462
wm's can be tricky. watch out for disappearing config files too.
>>
>>55176676
>muh bloat
Are you going to try and say those extra packages are negatively impacting your performance?

If so, you should get a better computer.
>>
>>55176747
every little bit counts when you need to save archives of shit post pictures.
>>
>>55176416
This is me.

I think I got Arch installed once before and maybe even got a wm set up, then I realized I just wanted to mess around with some program iforgetwhich and installed Ubuntu and actually did what I had initially intended. I will eventually get around to having a nice Arch install though assuming I don't die within a few years. Linux in general is fun to mess around on and Arch (slackware too afaik) bases itself around this.
>>
>>55176174
Install arch for maximum customization or solus for maximum performance and stability.
Other distros are not worth mentioning.
>>
>>55176782
Go full autist and use LFS as your daily driver
>>
>>55176798
That was my purpose. Well that and curiosity to try something new. Being (probably) too stupid for gentoo i thought I'd give arch a try. Didn't look at solus yet.

>>55176782
I will definitely stick with *buntu on my work laptop and desktop pc for a while. Yeah it really is at least until you try to switch to kde plasma (such fancy, much wow) and fuck up your whole system....
> assuming I don't die within a few years
hope you stick around then. Best wishes mate
>>
>>55176385
They guy nailed it.
Read or gtfo.
>>
>>55176747
>buying stronger hardware for running stronger botnet
>>
>>55176929
Running Kubuntu, no botnet here :v)
>>
>>55176747
Ubuntu is a dependencies mess, you have a shit load of useless softwares installed "just in case". You even have services and kernel modules launched. This is not a good approach for a secure and solid system especially for an "LTS" distro.
>>
>>55176997
Yes, how dare they bundle potentially useful software in a distribution aimed at the more casual crowd
>>
>>55177035
We don't need to understand how the system works but how to use it in a CORRECT and CLEVER way.
We already have too many spoonfed retards everywhere. People don't want to learn anymore past 13yo, it's a problem.
You don't have to learn anything to use windows, just take a look at forums and tech support, people are complaining about how bad XXX is or how slow YYY is. It's just the reflect of their own
incompetence, with a little bit of knowledge, atleast 95% of usual problems could have been solved within a minute.
Ubuntu try to spoonfeed users by providing EVERYTHING to avoid problems and to make sure no angry user scream all over the internet how bad their system is.
Arch in itself is not an answer, it just open your mind on how to solve problems on your own and how to avoid them in the future.
The way you approach Archlinux is the same that you use to solve math problems.
>>
>>55176344
ctrl + alt + f2-f6 to switch to a terminal you baka
>>
>>55176676
>>55176701
525 on arch with all my shit configured for a fully secured machine and KVM'd vms
>>
>>55176174
Quick update: Got the basic installation done. Was pretty easy thanks to the awesome documantation. Gotta install a wm tomorrow and hope I won't fuck it up while doing so.
>>
No arch is pretty good. Bleeding edge packages is nice.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.