[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ransomware created entirely with JavaScript
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1461572171368.gif (1 MB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1461572171368.gif
1 MB, 350x350
>A new variety of ransomware has been uncovered called RAA, but what is odd in this case is the creators took the somewhat unusual step of coding it in JavaScript instead of the more standard programming languages making it more effective in certain situation.

>Since JavaScript does not by itself feature any default cryptography functions theransomwarecreators use the CryptoJS library which enabled AES encryption to be used to lock up the victims' files.

>JavaScript can provide an advantage for attackers in various ways over compiled .exe files -- but we've seen ransomware written in everything from C++ to straight .bat files; detection needs to be based on dynamic as well as static file examination methods."

>Opening the attachment kicks off a series of steps that not only locks up the victim's files, but also downloads some additional malware onto the target computer. The attachment does not visibly do anything, but appears to the victim as a corrupted file. However, in fact it is busy doing its dirty work in the background. This includes deleting the Windows Volume Shadow Copy so the encrypted files cannot be recovered and the ransomware is set to run every time Windows starts up so it can capture any new information.
>>
>Windows
>Javascript

I mean COME ON! It's CURRENT YEAR people!
>>
>>Opening the attachment

Shiggy
>>
>>55166955
>Opening the attachment
who does that? at first i thought this was some cool browser based exploit, but noooo.
>>
>>55166987
Would've been cool. This is just trite.
>>
>>55166976
And in this CURRENT YEAR Windows is the most common OS on personal computers.
>>55166987
As weak as it is.. there's still a lot of people that fall for this.
>>
>>55166955
must be nice being able to create something with the express purpose of fucking up someones personal life....hmmm what else does the exact same thing, oh yea laws.
>>
Lol do they embed this into PDFs and hope some dumbfuck will open it in acrobat?
>>
node.js botnets when?
>>
>>55167026
?
>>
File: john-oliver-.jpg (38 KB, 480x540) Image search: [Google]
john-oliver-.jpg
38 KB, 480x540
>>55167022
>And in this CURRENT YEAR Windows is the most common OS on personal computers.
Yes, that's the point of that statement. In fact John Oliver uses the formula to suggest changing the thing that's common into something different, if you believe his opinions or not.

By making that statement I'm acknowledging that windows and javascript are common, but that in the year 2016 there's alternatives that make you better off.
>>
>>55166955
Does this affect Linux users?
>>
>>55167677
Of course not
>>
>>55167525
Wasn't he the one who was like 'haha come on europe just let the poor refugees in what can go wrong' and then they started stealing, murdering and raping with wild abandon because muh culture?
>>
File: 1452400402372.jpg (14 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1452400402372.jpg
14 KB, 480x480
>>55166955
This is old af
It still requires that you download and run it so who the fuck cares what file format it is?
>>
>>55167677
It does actually.
>>
>>55168047
Yeah, he makes a shit load of other left wing political hand waves, actually he does it every week. I don't believe his opinions but everyone can identify the "Come on, it's current year!" line he uses to push his agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqvYhb3wf4
>>
>>55168163
I just watched a thing recently where he spoke to some gun enthusiast about the gun laws. The gun guy, admittedly, was not the sharpest tool in the shed, which is almost certainly why Oliver chose to speak to him over someone more intelligent and well informed.

His arguments were basically "Well, banning guns worked in Australia, where there is a much smaller population and an incredibly different culture surrounding guns and the ownership of them. Clearly that should translate perfectly over here, with no issues whatsoever."

Like, as an Aussie, I've been fairly anti-gun most of my life, if only because I can't get my hands on one easily - if I could, I'd be shooting cans and bottles and shit no worries. But after the consistent attacks in the US...man, I gotta say, fancy-pants Milo might actually have a bit of a point. And Milo seems to actually be scaring the Left, if only because he's not rising to their bait, and he's actually making coherent points.

Of course, this is coming from an Australian who largely doesn't know shit about American politics, so take every single thing I say with a huge grain of salt.
>>
>>55166955
>Windows
>ANY YEAR
I mean COME ON
>>
>>55167677
They will likely go after many Android users, since it's proven to be an easy target before.
>>
>>55166955
How do we stop the JavaScript menace? Most people are unaware as it silently loads into their browser and rapes their asshole thoroughly.
>>
>>55168684
Use common sense.
>>
>>55168230
everyone on the left thinks milo is insufferable retard who has never had an intelligent thought in his life

No body is afraid of Milo
>>
>>55168230
so do you just carry around a large knife for personal defence?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.