[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>gaming laptop Why? Why why why do these exist? Get a laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 21
File: alienware-17-r3-500.jpg (61 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
alienware-17-r3-500.jpg
61 KB, 500x324
>gaming laptop

Why? Why why why do these exist? Get a laptop for work and build a gaming PC. Hell, get a laptop and an Xbox. Just don't waste your money on a gaming laptop. I'm honestly convinced the only people who like them are children and teens who don't know better.
>>
>>55164493
>build gaming pc
>have to dismantle and take entire computer with me any time I want to play games at a friends place

No thanks, I can afford both.
>>
>>55164493
>convinced the only people who like them are children and teens who don't know better

Being serious, you're probably right. I'm a casual gamer, got an Xbox One really cheap with some good games. The most gaming I do on the laptop I got for university is streaming Xbox on Win10.

Save your money, buy a laptop and build a gaming PC if you're serious about gaming. If you must play games on your back porch, just use Steam Big Picture.
>>
>This product isn't targeted at my demographic, why does it exist!
>>
>>55164493
Wow, what a unique and original opinion.
This totally deserves its own thread, not like it's become circlejerking at this point.
Go ahead OP, post some more of your unique opinions like how windlows or ask someone to install gentoo or something.
>>
cost of electricity in hawaii is stupid expensive. Id rather have Air conditioner running then a gaming rig/heater.
>>
A gaming laptop exists for the same reason other laptops exist. It's portable, you fuckwit.
>>
File: 1449544915011.jpg (684 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1449544915011.jpg
684 KB, 1280x720
>>55164493
>not being able to afford portable technology
>house gets hot upstairs in summer
>buy gaming laptop
>shitpost and game from downstairs
>remote into desktop for everything else
>house feels stuffy and it's raining
>go outside in the rain
>sit under canopy and 360 noscope nubes all day while listening to the calming rain and chopin's grand waltz brillante

Stop being poor.
>>
>>55164493
>children and teens who don't know better.
Exactly. Free money, in other words.
>>
>>55164560
Except it's not. It can't even play games, either.
>>
>>55164537
This
I paid 4,200 for a gaming laptop last year. Worth every cent. But probably a really stupid idea for most people.
If a desktop were a viable option and I was a poorfag like most of /g/, I would have bought one.
But for my situation, a gaming laptop is the right choice
>>
>>55164611
>laptop is not portable
k
>>
>>55164589
>accuses someone of being poor
>doesn't have air conditioning
>>
>>55164493
I have a "gaming" desktop (the only gaming thing in is the GPU really) and a gaming laptop to play at work when it's dead hours.

I use both to work and play games and there are no laptops with dedicated GPUs that aren't branded as gaming.
>>
>>55164735
You realise hot air rises? And not everyone lives in a one storey house?
In my country its very common to have 5 or 6 levels in a house as they are very narrow.
In our tropical climate, particularly in the wet season, very few air-cons are going to make much difference
>>
>>55164800
>>55164589

which country are you from? living in a 6 story house sounds pretty cool
>>
>>55164962
I live in a 2 story house. AC is nice, but I prefer no to waste that much electricity when I can just walk down the stairs where it's cooler. When it really gets hot and even downstairs is hot, then I'll start the AC.
>>
Doesnt thunderbolt 3 make it possible for laptops to have external gpus?
>>
>>55165000
which country are you from though
is anime popular in your country?
>>
>>55164493

>travel almost every week to different cities
>carrying a desktop around would be cumbersome

Doesn't take a genius you little shit, different people live different circumstances, you have no use for it but other people do.
>>
>>55164962
>>55164962
I only posted the second of those two but I'm in Vietnam. Maybe 1/4 of the people here live in this sort of house while the rest live in much smaller places usually either behind or above their stores.
>>
File: 1458635936036.jpg (64 KB, 350x249) Image search: [Google]
1458635936036.jpg
64 KB, 350x249
>>55165010
PCIexpress cards have made it possible for years.
>>
>>55165019
I'm in murikka and yes mongolian tapestry patterns are popular. Also using AC to cool down a huge $500k house costs a lot even with how cheap our electricity is.
>>
>>55165010
Yes.

>>55165041
It wasn't really officially supported and it sure wasn't convenient because of that. It was a niche thing for a small number of enthusiasts. Thunderbolt 3 makes it really easy because there's a lot of official support/peripherals for eGPUs now.
>>
Why does all gamer targeted shit have to look like gaymur shit with a million LEDs? Why can't there be any gaming laptops that have a minimalist design, like a regular mass market laptop but thicker to accommodate the extra cooling/gpu?
>>
>>55164515
>not leaving your battlestation at a friends house so you never have to move anything and when people visit your house you don't have gaymer shit everywhere
>>
>>55165074
>step1: plug in expresscard
>inconvenient
>>
>>55165114
because

gaymers
are
retarded

how is this not obvious to you
>>
>>55165114
HP OMEN
P

O
M
E
N
>>
>>55164493
>touchpad for left-handed people
also why
>>
>>55164515

Build a mini tower then. Asks if he have a monitor, or just get one of those USB powered monitors. Or heck just lug it all in your car.

But really you are a minority, most people just game at home.
>>
>>55164560
Had a friend that bought one for the same reason. I tried to talk him out of it, but he bought one with a 970 anyway.

His excuse was he was at his parents house literally half the week every week. He's from some kind of broken family. I let him off the hook since it seemed like his reasoning was at least noble.
>>
>>55165173
It's centered so you don't accidentally touch it while typing retard.
>>
>>55164493
The most cuckold thing about it is the screen size
Fuck trying to play game on a laptop
>>
>>55165150
>>step1: plug in expresscard
>ignoring all the shit on the software side
On my laptop, an eGPU would effectively disable my internal display because the external GPU would only output to an external display.

>>55165157
>how is this not obvious to you
Look at dedicated gaming consoles. They're very minimalist. The problem is not all gamers, just the ricers on PC (but not all PC gamers, plenty of minimalist cases exist).
>>
File: 1446338172844.jpg (173 KB, 929x960) Image search: [Google]
1446338172844.jpg
173 KB, 929x960
>>55165175
>tower
Here's (You).
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>55165163
nope, still has tacky LEDS and a stupid ass frame

this computer literally has underbody lights anon
>>
>>55165184
> accidentally touch it while typing
that never happens, unless you're stupid enough to destroy your wrist by resting them on the space below your keyboard while you type
>>
>>55165196

He obviously shouldn't carry all of those at one go.
>>
File: IMG_20160620_111541.jpg (65 KB, 599x837) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160620_111541.jpg
65 KB, 599x837
Hurt durr, why do people need laptops?
Just because you never leave the confines of your anime poster covered bedroom walls, that doesn't mean the rest of us have no use for portability.
I'm pretty sure the rest of my section would be pretty unimpressed if I plugged 3 power boards into our generator just to do something my laptop con do without using any of those.
Yes, a gaming laptop that spends it's life on a desk is probably a shitty investment. But if that's the assumption you're making why not just say all laptops are shit and have no purpose? You fucking idiot
>>
>>55165326
no anon, you don't understand

nobody is saying "why do people need laptops"

nobody needs GAMING laptops. sure, you need to be connected and online while serving, that's great, but are you so autistic and immature that you have to play CSGO on your laptop during your free time in your bunk? I don't have respect for these people
>>
>>55165411
Not sure how much time you've spent living on a hill with nothing but shit talking to get you through each day but I can tell you the banter dries up at around the 3rd month in.
>>
>>55164493
ITT - Stop liking what I don't like!
>>
File: power outages .png (111 KB, 2040x332) Image search: [Google]
power outages .png
111 KB, 2040x332
>>55165411
Lots of people in third world countries prefer laptops for gaming because of power outages. If you can tolerate reading Nigerian English, almost everyone in this thread games on a laptop. http://www.nairaland.com/1953007/what-pc-game-nairaland
>>
>>55164493
It's good if you have money and really need it. Especially if you are 3d graphics professional and travel a lot this kind of laptop can be very handy.
>>
>>55164493
>Just don't waste your
Stopped reading right there. Fuck off, you nosey faggot. I'll do what I want with my money.
>>
>>55165196
>Doesn't bring a charger or cooling pad
>Plays games for 40mins
>System runs out of power, fan turns off
>System temps reach 126°
>Doesn't turn back on...
My experience with a blade, don't buy one.
>>
>so I can take it to work
>so I can take it to friend's house
>so I can take it on a plane
>so I can use it on the couch
>so 40% of my room isn't an office
>because it's all in one
>>
anyone with decent cash to spend on a gaming laptop doesn't give a fuck about their downfalls. I was thinking of spending $1100 on a gaming laptop to bring to my friend's house. So much easier than "lol just build an Itx rig"

Don't be poor.
>>
I bought an Alienware 13 and graphics amplifier to use while I'm at home for $900. It's awesome and I have no regrets.
>>
>>55166609
what did you expect? It's a "gaming" ultrabook. How do you think they make the laptop so thin? They reduce cooling. Stupidest settlement ever.
>Hurr lets jam a shit ton of hardware into a tiny enclosure and mark it up 100% more than comparable gaming laptops from other companies.

Trash.
>>
>>55164493
>>55165196
That picture should explain why they exist. People like to get their games with them and aren't so physically weak that the laptop needs to be paper thin to be able to carry it around. I don't have a gaming laptop but I do have a laptop and it bothers me that I can't also play games when I bring it with me. Laptop thickness has never been a problem for anyone, it's just aesthetics.
>>
>>55166879
>Laptop thickness has never been a problem for anyone
When you carry it around in a backpack with a lot of other stuff, it can matter. That 1lb difference can mean a lot when you have to carry it around several hours a day on your shoulders.
>>
>>55164493
Some people actually leave their house.
>>
>>55166904
>1lb difference
Manlet detected.
Textbooks are 3-5lbs each already and I had no problem carrying 4 of them with me all day plus a violin back in high school.
>>
>>55164697
4200? Wtf retard? What do you even do?
>>
>>55166948
I'm 6'1". I'm not saying it's hard, it's just much more preferable for me to have a lighter backpack when I have to walk 40 minutes each way to college and then carry it around during the day while I'm at school. I'm not going to add extra weight to my backpack for the off chance I want to play video games outside of my room.
>>
>>55165061
Are you fing kidding me? Hurr look i got 500k house. Cant even cool it though. Fucking please kill yourself
>>
>>55166980
If you can get back to your desktop PC every day it doesn't matter how well your laptop runs games, but for other people who might be away for days or weeks it's different.
>>
>>55166994
I can cool it easily if I want to. But why would I go all the way downstairs and turn on the AC and wait 10 minutes just for it to really start taking effect all the while wasting electricity when I can just walk downstairs and instantly be cooler at ground level?

Kill yourself. :^)
>>
>why do these exist?
Because there are people that buy them
supply and demand nigger
economics 101
>>
>>55164611
> not portable
It is if you're not a stick-thin wuss who'd get knocked over in a strong wind.

> can't play games
That's funny, I was under the impression I was playing Battlefield 4 on Ultra.
>>
I have no space for a desktop
Also what would be best for a gaming laptop plus like a laptop for other things too
>>
This thread is pointless.
>>
>>55167344
I liked my Asus G550JK laptop, but I recently sold it for a better one. Just go like Asus mid-tier range, usually. They have always been fine for me.

Unless you're Australian, in which case, Metabox.
>>
>>55167031
Definition of autism. Kys
>>
OP is right. Got a gaming laptop, 17 inches.

It's breaking my back. Switching to a Windows tablet now.

Anyway, I no longer play games.
I don't find any appeal anymore. No new games interest me anymore.
>>
>>55167402
Do you have friends with which to play the games? I've noticed even playing with two or three friends can make a bad game a lot of fun. See: League of Legends or Destiny.
>>
>>55164493
Poorfags gonna poor
>>
I bought a gaming laptop to use in the USA while I was there. Buying a computer there wasn't very practical, but I still wanted vidya.
>>
I play saurbraten, Doom, Duke Nukem, and a few emulators on an old core2.
>>
>>55165194
A portable device doesn't have a big ass screen. How odd
>>
>>55164493
Helmsman, set a course for Shill-city, speed, maximum bait.
>>
>>55165207
>and a stupid ass frame
what a great argument.
>>
>>55166649
>anyone with decent cash to spend on a gaming laptop doesn't give a fuck about their downfalls
>I was thinking of spending $1100 on a gaming laptop
>Don't be poor
>$1100
Stop being so poor anon. Poor in cash and poor in choices.
>>
>>55167518
Should we take 'er through the Graphics Card Cluster, cap'n? Looooooootta bait been showin' up round those parts in recent times.
>>
>>55165195
You were supposed to install Optimus if you wanted to play on the internal LCD, an advancement in tech that is distinct from the rise in Thunderbolt ports.
>>
OP probably bought a cheap ass entry level "gaming" laptop then realize it's total shit and is now in full buyers remorse.
>>
>>55164493
I own one as a desktop replacement that I also bring in my bed(I don't use my desk at all nowadays), kitchen, toilet, bathroom and obviously outside.
It has two coolers thus it doesn't throttle under furmark + cpuz stress test, but also thin and relativity light. It's enough to max out DaS 3(except blur, dof and ssao, which I hate, and max lightning that just crashes the game for me, plus I overrode anti-aliasing in Nvidia panel to x8, the default is too low, plus triple buffering). It's also surprisingly cheap. Battery is shit but enough for my use case.
>>
Laptops with 970m are under 800€ here, I don't think it's bad if you need mobility.
>>
>>55164493
The only problem with laptops is it's a pain to clean the heat sink or replace the fan.
>>
>>55168569
I have the can of compressed air that I use to gently clear dust from the vents. Once a year I take it for servicing and never had any issues.
>>
>>55164779
My Precision M4800 begs to differ.
>>
>>55168607
>blow air into vents
>fans spins up
>generates voltage
>motherboard slowly and randomly gets fired
>>
What would I need to run black ops 3 at 2160p 60fps+
>>
>>55164493
It just werks

It really does. At least with skylake and the new technologies.
>>
File: alienware.jpg (167 KB, 1623x1080) Image search: [Google]
alienware.jpg
167 KB, 1623x1080
>>55165114
Looks fine to me
>>
>>55168988
>not showing the back
>>
>>55168997
The r2 series is much more minimalist now
>>
File: 1443008591780.jpg (29 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
1443008591780.jpg
29 KB, 658x658
>>55168988
>ayylmaoware

Not even once.
>>
Doubt anyone gives a shit, especially taking into account that /g/ is one of the most retarded boards there is, regarding dumb circlejerks.
Just putting my two cents in:

I buy a new computer about once every 3 - 4 years. This new computer is pretty much always a "gaming laptop". The process I go through is check the list of mobile GPUs at notebookcheck.net, find the most powerful one (not including SLI/CF), and buy the cheapest laptop I can find that has that GPU.
Just as an example, currently the most powerful mobile GPU would be 980m (not counting the desktop 980 laptops, because they're not sold here), and the cheapest laptop I could find near me with a quick search is the G751JY.

The last few times, the new PC ended up costing me about 2000€. I know that I could buy the parts for a desktop PC of equal performance for a quarter of the price, but I like being able to move the computer when needed, with minimal effort. 2000€ every few years is not too high of a price to pay (at least for me) for that ability plus the ease-of-use (no building, saved space, etc.).

I've found that if a high-end laptop has a powerful GPU, the rest of the parts are (based on my experience) never the bottleneck. By using the method I described, I've been able to play all the latest games at highest settings with no lag (even though I don't really play games too much), and do any kind of work with ease.

Simple, easy, but a bit pricey.

I'm sure there are at least 10 thinkpad neckbeards that are going to get their panties in a bunch over this post, but computers just aren't that big of a deal for me to invest too much time/energy to them. 2k every few years, on the other hand is a relatively easy task.
>>
>>55169299
I'm sorry I'm new here but what is a neck beard?
>>
>>55169338
This is a shit post because it has a trash can icon. It's seems the users of this subreddit do not like your post.
>>
>>55164493
> Poor people
Why? Why why why do these exist?
>>
>>55164697
Stupid people are a demographic.
>>
gaming la=best thing ever if light
>>
>>55169299
I don't have problem with >gaming laptop in general, just that I broke laptops so many times I can't trust them. They are something I use when I'm away from my PC.
>>
>>55164493
>Why why why do these exist?
because they are portable for people who change locations a lot

i am using my asus rog laptop right now, which runs bf4 on all ultra setings

and it's great
>>
>>55164493
I'll let out a secret, if you want to game on the go, buy an APU laptop. A10 is enough to run most games at high or medium. They run pretty cool too, 65C max.
I'm just wondering why they aren't more popular
>>
>>55170230
APU only goes in 15.6" budget laptops with 1366x768 monitors that look like ass, everything is cheap plastic that falls apart.
The people who buy them are normies looking for a good deal, not gamers.
>>
>>55169951
because the world is unfair
>>
>>55164493

I live in one country 8 months a year (school) and another 4 months a year (my home country). I've got a desktop at home but I just don't think it's viable to get a desktop at school since I have to put my shit in storage lockers for the 4 months I'm gone, not to mention that I'm busy during the school year anyway. So, I got a laptop. It's not a fucking Alienware, but it's an MSI with a 970M. Plays everything that I could want to play and it's less than 1 inch thick and only 4lbs so I can carry it around if I need to (though I usually just use my chromebook).

Gaming laptops are usually dumb, but I think there's a niche that benefits from them that includes me.
>>
>>55168988
Looks fine if ur 16.
>>
>>55164493
>being such an impatient man child you waste thousands for inferno performance just so you don't have to wait to get home to play your gaymes
>>
>>55173111
>calling anyone a manchild while trip fagging as "<3â–ˆCUTE=TOMATOâ–ˆ<3"
>>
>>55173111
>that trip
looks like your parents should've gaven you more attention and love as a child senpai
>>
File: SAGER.jpg (918 KB, 2000x1715) Image search: [Google]
SAGER.jpg
918 KB, 2000x1715
>>55169059
>Shit tier thermal throttling laptop
Not even once
>>
File: muhspecs.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
muhspecs.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>55164493
Pshh gaming laptops
>>
They are pretty handy and versatile, not only do you get a laptop you also get a space heater. That's 2 devices in 1!
>>
I own a big beefy desktop.
I still have a laptop capable of playing staples like starcraft, dota, overwatch, because I spend a lot of time away from my desktop. Mostly in hospital, or visiting family.
It's not completely unreasonable for people to want a means to engage with their hobby that can be mobile on a day to day basis.
>>
>>55164493
look,I know you dont get it, you probably live in your parents house, or you have an car or anything else.

I have to move every 6 months, if I have desktop PC, i have to get table, chair, keyboard, mouse etc...
And when I move, ALWAYS something will get ruined in moving, either workers will hit my overly expensive chair or table, monitor will get scratched. Its not even a question if it will happen, its just question what will be ruined.

Last time I made that mistake was I bought latest Panasonic V60 plasma, full pants on head retarded desktop PC, projector, chair, table etc.. 2 months later I had to move(was in rented apartment) because job.
It was fucking torture to find a place in 3 days that will even fit all my shit inside(+ it has to be really near my job, its the nature of the job to be 24/7 available) ..

You really need to stop with this no-gaming laptop meme, when I lived with my parents I had all that,
now I have to go to hospital, i will be a long time ..
I will be bored, I cant play games on console, I cant play games I like on consoles.
Gaming Laptops are really nececity and you are just not target audience and obviously not smart enough to understand the value of instant mobility..

What if you work on oil rig, or you are an dog of war, or you work as an reprezentative for some shit and you have to go all around the globe..
There is a lot of people who literally have their whole life in one bag on wheels, going from place to place, putting money on the side(to buy house for cash or open bussiness or something).
Usually those jobs are really tiresome and filled with stress and when I come to place where I sleep, i will probably enjoy and relax in bed , tired as dog .
Its a good thing, trust me, there is an huge market for it,you just buy joypad and you have best possible console available..
Does it cost much more, yes it does,is it better than desktop PC, no, by far it is not, but alot of people have no choice..
>>
>>55165150
problem is in the bios.
also,laptop manufacturers didnt like that you could just buy gtx660(absolutely great GPU for making an shitty netbook into actually usable machine) for less than nothing and have better performance than their top tier gamer laptop model that costs 3000$ or something..

when laptop manufacturers will start to develop egpus, or sell "their portable GPUs"(I can see already Lenovo GTX970 Windsider, only 999$) , then it will become really compatible.
>>
>>55174542
Does it run GOG/Steam/Piratebay library, can I torrent some movies,series, games, can I actually do something useful(like, pay bills online,surf, jerk, find a job...),
can I just buy joypad and download every conceivable console with whole libraries of that generation and just play like a fucking fool?
>>
>>55174924
>obviously not smart enough to understand the value of instant mobility..

Pretty much that. The dumb people are reading your post and thinking all the kinds of people you mentioned are 1 in 100,000 and don't exist on /g/.
>>
>>55164493
This meme needs to die

I have a laptop with a gtx 980m that basically cranks every Fucking game on Max.

I paid 600 bucks for it.

If you don't want one then don't get one, you Fucking self righteous desktop weeg, cause us normies don't give a shit what your autistic preferences are
>>
>>55174924
These laptops are not instant mobility. These are heavy, bulky and have terrible battery life. So don't come up with that bullshit.

If you desperately want to game, get yourself a decent portable 15" with a decent mobile GPU that can run everything well enough. Paying 2 grand for a piece of hardware that gets outdated in half the lifetime of a desktop is just a retarded waste of money.
>>
>>55174924
>>55175074
And to add on, there are also people on /g/ who think that if a sedentary life is the only life worth living, if you are always moving around you should "get your priorities right" and instead of playing games on a powerful laptop, spend your time trying to get into a sedentary life in order to use a desktop to save 2 grands.
>>
>>55175074
god damn, ask almost every other New Yorker, they move almost monthly(because job or better place or whatever, its just 1 huge city and we have a lot of +10 million people cities).
i would even say its much less than 100,000:1
>>55175162
You are wrong, everything I can put in a bag, put on my back and just go is instant mobility, my laptop is heavy and bulky, but that is the point(mobile deskotp PC), i open it up, plug it in and just play, no wires, no tables, no chairs, monitor is included, keyboard also, just plug mouse and headphones(Earbuds) and Im ready to go, its not like Ill drive bike or car and play in the same time, lets say I work 15 hours and Ill go at that rented place im currently at, ill just open lid and play.
>>55175225
i will never settle, im not an nester, ill keep on working until i can so i can early retire and then ill make
a fucking mancave battlestation galactica over9000. But now, now it's money time, usualy good shit in life last really short, so its better to use it while it lasts...

And for OP, look, you know what is most funniest part of your post.
You are probably in your slippers in your parents basement, dwelling on my needs.
And I tell you from MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE why Desktop Gaming PCs are sometimes
an unbearable hussle.
And, I tried every fucking conciveable combination, spent a shitload of money(i really would like toplay on desktop PC, its cheaper and stronger) and realized by system of "mistake/good move" that most optimal way(for me and most of people who are in similar position in life) is to get big, strong fat laptop.
And you want to convince me that im wrong, what the fuck is wrong with you, are you daft?
>>
>>55164493
>Why? Why why why do these exist?
whatever sells m8
remember, the goal is not to make what people need, it is to convince them they need what you make
>>
>>55175162
???
It's no more difficult to carry a large laptop than a large bag or a briefcase. The point of laptops that large is to be easier to carry from table to table than a desktop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and accompanying cables, and that's a job the form factor does quite well. It's not for jaunting to and from starbucks, or looking trendy in a university classroom, it's simply a large portable computer designed to be occasionally portable when it needs to be, and usually plugged in, something it will almost always be during use by design.
>>
>>55175162
When people say they want mobility, they don't literally want to be able to play games in Starbucks. They want to be able to carry around their whole set up easily when they have to. Even a bulky laptop is far more practically to carry around than a desktop with all its peripherals.

If you're a NEET who never needs to leave their parents' basement, then you'll probably never understand the need for a powerful laptop (so there's no point even opening this thread).
>>
File: 9KGFr4k.png (189 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
9KGFr4k.png
189 KB, 600x600
>be autistic faggot
>talk about moving their pc from one friend to the next
>forgetting you have no friends

ISHYGGYD
>>
>>55167483
this tbÕ°
>>
>>55175068
>>>/r/pcmasterrace
>>
>>55175562
This, its literally mobile desktop...
Fuck that picture where guy holds that Razor jerk off(that shit is not gaming laptop), these machines are actually really capable.

Also for OP-
Its not some hipster agenda, i dont care how my laptop looks,if it had LEDs , i would smash them myself, i would never play in starbucks or in park or I really dont get what the fuck do you think people do
Gaming for me is kinda heavily personal thing(i really cant get immersed in modded Morrowind,Torment, FONV,Witxch+er or IDK new Doom in coffee shop or bar).
I would close windows, curtains, lock myself, put dumbphone on silent and fucking relax.
I

You do know that its just dumb to invest in furniture if you live in rented place and you move a lot,
im so triggered by this post, i moved my ex-mancave 2 times(so, plasma 127", comfy chair, table, sea of cables,projector,curtain,joypads, wifi sticks, tower, 27" monitor, mouse, PS3, disks, router,keyboard, shitload of USBs, craps n shits galore, and that was only my gaming equipment at that time, now add up all crap and bullshit normal people have, so wardrobe, pots n pants, kitchen appliances,glasses, fridge, washing machine and then small shit, tootpaste, spices, hygiene shit ) in 3 months.
I went beserk, every fucking thing was kicked somewhere/somehow, nothing is by measure, workers dont give a shit that they carry 1800$ tower.Or that mouse 100€(G700 bacj then).Every corner of every thing i had was either white from hitting into wall or scratched(as shit was more expensive, it got scratched harder, like they knew)
And then, at the end of the day you end up with 100 boxes and you look at them, they look at you, and now you should put cables here, put table there, connect this shit, that crap.
FUCK THAT!Ever again.
Sold everything, made strategy to rent only apts that have all the basics I really need, one huge bag on wheels(all I need is inside, everything else I can buy anywhere), one good big laptop bag and that's it.
>>
also, price...
Asus X550JK-XO045D (Intel i7/6GB/1TB/GTX850)
this shit WILL run everything on high and it costs 400$.
So, its like better PS4/dxBONE but you still get free tv.
>>
>>55170230
I think wait for the Polaris apu that shit will be good
>>
>>55164493

as using "gaming laptop" as a replacement for regular desktop because I have to travel frequently between three cities, just plugging in external keyboard and display and its like a proper desktop. Yeah you won't get top scores on benchmarks, but you can run gaems on 60 fps at FHD, so yeah it is a niche thing
>>
>>55166661
Thing is that the Alienware gfx amplifier doesn't run with full bandwidth of gen 3 pci express. It's only about 1/4 of the bandwidth.

MSI Shadow is supposedly running with full bandwidth.
>>
>>55165196
look at dem calves!
>>
>>55175162
>>55175562
I think you people don't get the point. A laptop is meant for mobility.
These laptops, even if you carry them in your backpack, are a heavy burden.
These laptops have a limited life expectation as well as poor battery consumption, making them poor value as well within a year.

Opting you take these as an all in one solution for work and play is your choice but it's an impractical and expensive waste of a solution, as you carry a heavy load from/to work each day with god forbid the flashy looks of a gaming laptop to a workplace, very professional.

If you want proper performance for daily tasks, get yourself a decent ultrabook or laptop for your daily tasks. Use the rest of your money to put together a modular portable pc like in the picture, as you'll be moving that setup once a month/year.
>>
They used to be shit since they'd only be capable of playing new games for a year or two, and with most of them having soldered on gpu's, you'd have to resell or throw the whole system out to play new ones, as well as having shit battery life.
They're finally getting better now, since most progress is focused on power efficiency and not raw compute power.
>>
>>55164493
>smaller and just one whole part compared to a desktop which has to be moved in at least 3 trips and is very bulky
>easy as fuck to carry around anywhere
>performs just as good as a desktop
I don't know about the model in the OP pic but I had a gaming laptop I gave to a sibling when I stopped playing games that could play any new game on ultra and still get 60 fps. It was extremely easy to move from place to place and could be done in 1 trip and performs better than my desktop. The only downside to them is the price. Mine was $1,500, while my desktop was only $300 (although it's not built to handle much at all at the moment).
>>
>>55165411
>but are you so autistic and immature that you have to play CSGO on your laptop during your free time in your bunk?
What the fuck else are you gonna do?
>>
>>55164779
>what are workstation laptops
>which unlike gaymen laptops are built to last and be sturdy

>inb4 "quadros aren't meant for gaming"
They'll still run CSGO at hundreds of fps so who gives a shit?
>>
>>55169327
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZhKGtgcZghc
>>
I travel for work and like to game on the road. Hence, gaming laptop. Deal with it.
>>
>>55164493
Some of us want to play games on the go and don't want to lug around a lot of shit AND have to worry about a plug.

Retard detected.
>>
>>55164493
It's okay anon you don't have to understand everything, mommy still loves you :3
>>
>>55164493
>I dont have friends
>>
>>55178327
>I have friends
Normalfags stay in raddit
>>
Is there or will there be a similiar 15" laptop like the macbook or the new asus zenbook 3? Lightweight but 15" screen?
>>
>>55164493
>buy decent laptop with pci express port
>connect latest graphics card
wewlad
>>
>>55177930
CS:GO you are the reason why gaming is dead these days.
>>
File: Titan-Open.jpg (205 KB, 1200x933) Image search: [Google]
Titan-Open.jpg
205 KB, 1200x933
Aesthetic.
Powerful.
Portable.
And I'm not even a gamer.
>>
File: MGT8003.jpg (273 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
MGT8003.jpg
273 KB, 1024x768
>>55179959
>>
>has a laptop
>if use as ful power has less than 1h battery

what's even the point if you can't carry it around and use it unplugged?
>>
Since we all understand you're a cunt I'll give you a reason why it's useful: either you travel for work and don't feel like carrying 50 lbs worth of computer gear and or you're in the military and you need to pack light. Just because you're 15 doesn't mean you figured out everything there ye cunt
>>
>>55179994
So you can carry around all your programs and data without ending up like >>55165196
you retard.
>>
Why does anything other than a thinkpad exist.
>>
>>55164493
The issue is that the peripherals are really expensive. With a laptop its all in a bundle and all you need is a mouse.
>>
Not everyone is fat basement dweller like you OP
>>
>>55174477
Is this the fabled Games on Medium laptop?
>>
>>55180066
What peripherals do you even need for a laptop?

Many come with BD drives, USB3, USB-C, 802.11ac, 2x SATA, 4xPCIe/mSATA, etc. Like you said, most would need only need a mouse.
>>
>>55180140
He meant the desktop, not the laptop.
>>
>>55180066
Only the monitor is a really somewhat expensive peripheral needed for a desktop
>>
>>55177157
If you honestly think that that thing in your picture is just as portable as a slightly bulky laptop then you're an idiot. Unless you have a body made of paper, carrying around any laptop won't be that much of a burden.

>>55179994
You would only ever use your laptop at full power when you have access to a plug socket. Powerful laptops aren't meant for playing games at university or your local coffee shop, they're a convenient way of moving your whole set-up with you.
>>
>>55180255
Mouse, keyboard, audio either speakers or headphones, mic. I'm in Ireland it's really expensive.
>>
File: 1342507616858.jpg (181 KB, 1127x1050) Image search: [Google]
1342507616858.jpg
181 KB, 1127x1050
use to be in the military.
gaming laptops were essential if you wanted to game on a PC
or on deployment.
>>
>>55180298
Apparently you lose Mr. Neckbeard's respect if you do that >>55165411
>>
>>55180255
That's because you haven't discovered the joys of Cherry MX blues, optical sensors which are pinpoint exact, and high fidelity sound yet.
>>
File: Full Throttle.png (42 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
Full Throttle.png
42 KB, 557x605
I had a gaming laptop in college. It was absolutely the correct decision at the time. Being able to take it to a friend's place and use it on the couch made for some of my fondest LAN party memories.

I would never buy one now though and I don't even know if people still do lan parties in current_year.
>>
I travel weekly for work and like to game on the go. The work laptop is locked down. I carry both in an Everki Titan.
>>
>>55177157
(you)

Really, how is that possible, such small case with Expensive desktop components,
That thing must be really hot inside,like hell , Also, where would I find newest GPU,like gtx1080, Radeon 480x and how would be possible to put
Desktop level components inside.
Yes, it looks cool as concept but it leaves me in Opacity toward such small case, I could lose it,
Usually when i move, its hectic and I could forget it
>>
>>55180341
It's weird, part of me wonders why LAN parties are even a thing anymore with the speed of the internet, but at the same time it's pretty obvious that being in the same room as the people you're gaming with will forever be more fun than being on VOIP.

Also, that is one obscure as fuck reference in your picture. I wonder how many people even know Ben.
>>
>>55169951
Sanders please
>>
File: 1464317088084.png (691 KB, 889x607) Image search: [Google]
1464317088084.png
691 KB, 889x607
>>55180330
He's retarded,
I was on a 9 month deployment in the middle of the fucking ocean and played Skyrim with as many mods as possible, Witcher 3, and Mario Sunshine on Dolphin.

And who says you have to play in your rack? most ships have libraries and common areas.
download patches when we hit ports. ect.

Gaming Laptops aren't pointless, there's a reason they sell and it' because of people that are...on the go....

Bonus note, you'd be surprised how many weeaboos defend your country, if your muurkan.
>>
>>55177157
> These laptops, even if you carry them in your backpack, are a heavy burden.
Nigga how fucking weak ARE you?
>>
>>55179959
> that fucking keyboard placement
Every fucking time.
>>
>>55164493
Gaming laptops aren't even that big these days.
The Alienware 15 is smaller than the Thinkpad T61p that /g/ praises so much and it has:
A top end unlocked K i7 CPU
32GB RAM
Nviida GTX 980M
PCIE SSD
9 hours battery life with Optimus enabled

A lot of people had no problem overclocking the CPU to 4.4GHz, pretty much the same level of the desktop 6700K on Air, laptop chips don't have that shitty thermal pasted cap so they are much less crippled on the cooling front.
Also nobody else can make a gaming laptop with as good battery life as Alienware for when you're just dicking around on the net.
>>
File: 1462379002323.jpg (169 KB, 990x662) Image search: [Google]
1462379002323.jpg
169 KB, 990x662
>>55180534
>Bonus note, you'd be surprised how many weeaboos defend your country, if your muurkan.
>>
>>55164589
would comfy with
>>
>>55180693
Ayyyyy
>>
>>55180693
>>55180534
Only those who have seen the true horrors of war will understand the need to escape into CGDCT.
>>
>>55180534
I can vouch for this.
>>
>>55164515

Why dismantle it? I just carry my whole rig
>>
>>55180693
>>55180710
:^)
>>
File: 1461602433432.jpg (321 KB, 990x662) Image search: [Google]
1461602433432.jpg
321 KB, 990x662
>>55180991
Forgot pic.
>>
>>55177157
>but that laptop isn't thin and pretty enough! 8 pounds maximum is such an IMPOSSIBLE burden! Just carry 30 pounds of gear including a 10 pounds desktop with an awkward, bulk-ass gaymer case (but it has a handle! that's portable!), a usable monitor, keyboard, mouse, and all cables and accompanying peripherals you fucking dumb gamer retard!

The level of delusion in these threads is always astounding. Just because it's not hip, doesn't mean it's not portable, and fucking lose some weight or exercise or something, I'm a fucking ham planet with spaghetti arms and I have no problem wrestling with the "heavy burden" of six to eight pounds that comes with large form factor laptops.
>>
Anybody know a good all purpose laptop under $250? Nice specs at least 6 gb of ram
>>
>>55180659
Glad I bought my xps 15, thin and light plus the TB3 was the plus for eGPU.
>>
>>55181181
yeah it's called the Fucking Google It And Fuck Off Back To >>>/v/
>>
>>55164800
>storey
>>55180807
I can't carry it with my mouse, keyboard, monitor, and speakers attached.
>>
>>55164493
My parents are divorced and I want to play games at both houses
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.