[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ I want to get into iPhone app development but I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1523427283287880741.jpg (35 KB, 800x559) Image search: [Google]
1523427283287880741.jpg
35 KB, 800x559
Hi /g/
I want to get into iPhone app development but I don't have a mac for xcode/swift
I'm not trying to spend a lot of money just to be able to develop for jewple so I was wondering what model mac would be the most efficient price-wise for my needs. I would like something powerful enough to run xcode smoothly for the next few years.
I was also considering building a hackintosh for this, but I don't know how this would affect development. If anyone has any information or experience with this kind of thing, please share

Thanks
>>
The sweet spot for price and performance is the MacBook Pro.

If you want a desktop model you can get a 4K iMac.
>>
>>55159181
What's the oldest model pro that will run el capitan?
>>
Just run OSX or macOS in a god damned VM, much simpler, works just fucking fine (doesn't provide the 3D graphics unless you do some custom hack shit, you can use QEMU and something else to get Core graphics working, more info at the InsanelyMac forums).

I've been using OSX as a guest OS in VMware Workstation for close to 2 years now, never had any issues, it works great, Xcode/Swift run very well, the iOS emulator works well enough to do testing (not it's not the same as on a real actual Mac but then again I didn't have to spend $1200+ to do this).

All of this done on a $200 Dell Latitude - El Capitan was free obviously.

>inb4 the EULA is some kind of legally binding document

HATERS GONNA HATE
>>
>>55159120
mac mini
>>
>>55159541
You'll want something that will also work with the upcoming Sierra update.

For that, you'll need at least a 2010 MBP.
>>
>>55159120
Macbook Pro. Noo need for retina display IMO.
If you want to test waters first I suggest a mac mini.
>>
>>55160354

Don't listen to this guy OP. The old MBPs come with slow spinning hard disks and it's going to suck.

Get a Retina model. They all use SSDs.
>>
>>55159120
Literally just run it in a VM. Getting an ISO isn't that hard.
>>
where do i get an iso, it seems to be pretty hard desu
>>
File: 1439166477289.jpg (163 KB, 501x1200) Image search: [Google]
1439166477289.jpg
163 KB, 501x1200
>>55159120
>>
>>55160390
You can get a better SSD than Apple provides for cheap. And Intel ones for the difference of the price. And setting it up is easy. The only reason to buy the retina model is if you handle something that need the extra pixel and programming surely doesn't.
>>
I do all my developing on a hackintosh and haven't run into any problems.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.