[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Future of hard drives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1464322652069-0.jpg (113 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464322652069-0.jpg
113 KB, 1080x1080
What's happening quicker: Hard drive capacity increasing or peoples data requirements increasing?
>>
Personal data requirements are only going down because everything is moving into vendor clouds.

Local storage keeps getting faster but with a fraction of the capacity of old-school disks.
>>
For me, there was a gap between the Taiwan Tsunami and today where my needs/wants for storage capacity were completely outpacing the capacity that I was willing to pay for.

Today an 8TB can be had for $250 or lower. I have a lot of media, and even if I went on a spree and had 3GB-10GB copies of every movie that I could conceivably want in the next 5 years and everything before then, TV shows, anime, concerts, music, I think all I would want is about ~25TB(and a mirror or RAID redundancy component to that, so let's say 50TB), which is suddenly affordable and doesn't require too many pieces today now that the HDD manufacturers are scurred.

And that's before about 4 years of shrinks will occur to the 3d NAND SSD marketplace.
Capacity is on it's way up right now, at a good clip outpacing most needs, as long as you're not stupid and avoiding RAWs/Blu Ray rips.

Start getting backups and shit now though, because the RIAA/MPAA and other fucks are working hard on locking down the internet, killing the Pirate Bay and other places. I'm having issues getting Usenet copies of things from 2014-2016.

Windows 10 = botnet.
>>
>>55158347
What's wrong with blu ray version of a movie?
>>
>>55158347
Why are they trying to lock down the internet? Everyone uses it so its pretty much no success to happen
>>
>>55158390
Having a .iso or like .mkv of a raw Blu Ray rip(25GB-50GB) is stupid unless it's one of those movies that you actually value that much. 3GB - 10GB are perfectly good.
>>
>>55158429
They can make it hard to access. They can damage the open internet, forcing us to move to older(P2P, IRC, Usenet), anonymized(TOR), or worse services(ready for mesh networks or sneakernets?).
They can whack a mole the services you use. Push for criminal penalties for the people that host said services.
They can send nasty letters to your ISP, your ISP to you, try and extort you.

I try and maintain what I have because it's convenient for me to use digital over my DVD collection, and because legally obtaining some anime is just cost prohibitive or worse quality than the nonofficial sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Bay#December_2014_raid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Bay#Censorship_by_corporations
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.