[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens when we run out of sand for creating CPUs and silicon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 5mbhdd1956.png (675 KB, 764x712) Image search: [Google]
5mbhdd1956.png
675 KB, 764x712
What happens when we run out of sand for creating CPUs and silicon and shit?
>>
>>55152399
Thats so far down on the list of things to worry about.
>>
Glass blower here

We won't be running out of sand any time soon.
>>
>>55152413
I want to upboat you
>>
Sand isn't the only source of silicon. Most rocks are made almost entirely of silicon oxides.

Worry when we run out of mountains
>>
HOLY SHIT I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BRB GOING TO BEACH
>>
Silicon is literally the 2nd most abundant element (in) on earth
>>
We won't run out of sand for computer chips but for construction. Saudi Arabia already imports sand since dessert sand is useless for building stuff.
>>
>>55152461
This
We'd probably run out of the rare and fancy elements that actually make semi conductors work way before we run out of silica
>>
>>55152399
guys what will we do when the core of the earth has cooled so much that the entire surface of the planet is an icy wasteland?
>>
Let's all stock some sand, it will increase in value.
>>
>>55152399
capitalism was a mistake
>>
>>55152399
Kek

The Earth's Crust is 74% Silicon Dioxide (the stuff we make computer chips out of) by mass. This is sand. I don't think humanity can run out of Sand if we fucking try.
>>
>>55152399
make more sand
>>
>>55152399
Running out of silicon would be physically impossible, as 28% of the planets crust by mass is silicon, and even if we did need more, the moon is close by and has a significant amount of silicon in its crust and mantle, of which most of the latter is solidified.

No, our big issue is when we run out of the rare earth metals and shit we use for our chips. We'd be forced to mine deeper, or go out into space to get more of those.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.