[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never built a PC before and I intend on embarking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: lhc_2.jpg (940 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lhc_2.jpg
940 KB, 1920x1080
I've never built a PC before and I intend on embarking on this classical journey rather shortly with a friend of mine who knows how to build PCs. My question is in regards to the parts that I am considering for the computer. Do you guys see any issues pertaining to value, compatibility, cooling, noise, etc with the following build? (Consider this computer will be used exclusively for audio/music production)

Hope you guys don't tear me a new asshole for knowing next to zilch about computers

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6hpTWX
>>
logicalincrements.com

This site exists for the exact reason, which is why it's in the sticky.

Tell your friends to read the fucking sticky
>>
File: lafeyete gallery.jpg (151 KB, 700x499) Image search: [Google]
lafeyete gallery.jpg
151 KB, 700x499
>>55151335
Get a WD BLACK and a Samsung 850 evo. Also get this case
>>
>>55151335

That machine will handle everything you throw at it.

The only issue you will have is noise. The sound of the hard disks will leak, as will any noise from case/CPU fans. You can get a device to adjust fan speeds, but the downside is your PC will run hotter. This is only a real problem if you plan to keep the PC for a decade...

Personally, I spent money on Noctura fans; but, I can still hear the fuckers. I ended up buying a PC cupboard, and insulated it with noise absorbing foam. My PC is now totally silent.
>>
>>55151335
>Consider this computer will be used exclusively for audio/music production
-Skip the graphics card
-Going to OC? Get Z170. Not going to OC? Get a non-K CPU for cheaper, and get a lesser HSF
-Get a bigger SSD, your budget can handle it
-Get a smaller PSU, unless you are going to add a serious graphics card later

>>55151357
Thanks!
>>
>>55151357
Did I encroach upon your internet territory?

Blow me, I'm just trying to get advice on something I only have a marginal amount of knowledge on.
>>
>>55151386
kek at the cupboard insulated with foam, that must've been a hassle. great idea in the end though.

>>55151387
thanks for the pointers!
>>
>>55151440

If I was building a PC for music puposes I'd eliminate as many fans as possible.

Get fanless GPU, passive CPU heat sink (these are big), fanless PSU. No spinning hard disks. I wouldn't even bother with a PC case, they require cooling. I'd mount the motherboard on wooden rails and have a big slow, noiseless, fan. pointed at it.

Small fans are noisy.
>>
>>55151493
>never built a PC before
>go caseless
I recommend against it.
>>
>>55151507

Actually, good point. That's not good advice for someone new to PC building.
>>
>>55151493
>>55151507
A sane person would simply buy the cheap parts, place the computer in another room, and install a thin client at their desk.
>>
>>55151578
Or buy quiet components, and use headphones.
>>
>>55151578

Don't be ridiculous. This is /g/, we don't do good advice here.

The only problem I can see with that is: access to the audio interface. I guess long audio cables into a patchbay would work. Or, maybe streaming audio over ethernet with the DA converter intalled in the client?
>>
>>55151625

Headphones are ok for knocking up demos, they're not good for mixing.
>>
>>55151657
"streaming audio over Ethernet" tends to imply DLNA/UPnP which is god-awful for anyone that gives a shit about audio quality, which someone making a master would definitely care about.

If you have software that can transfer audio directly from the kernel over Ethernet so that it's bit perfect, then there you go.

But I wouldn't go around expecting decent latency or anything.
>>
>>55151711

Audio over ethernet is bit perfect. Yes, the software for it exists, and you're right, there is a latency overhead, but it's minimal.

There's an interesting discussion on the subject here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/376639-why-not-use-ethernet-audio.html
>>
Soooo something like this then?

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qrKjXH
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.