[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
echo "fug" >large.file rm large.file Is this a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: debian.png (81 KB, 1028x1270) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81 KB, 1028x1270
echo "fug" >large.file
rm large.file

Is this a good method to delete files hiding their original content forever?
>>
shred -n 0 -u -z FILE

or use dd
>>
daily reminder that ian murdoch was raped and killed by nigger cops and nobody cares
>>
>>55134930
Thanks, but what about the method I presented?
>>
>>55134975
it doesn't seem like it overwrites the entire file, so i would just use one of the programs made for this. but i don't know enough about the file system to give an actual answer
>>
>>55134905
fug
>>
>>55134992
You're on the write track.

OPs method would work the if the was under 4kb and the logical sector size on the hdd was also 4kb. Anything over 4kb won't work since you're only clearing the first 4kb sector. That's where programs like shred work, they match the file size when overwriting so you know all sectors get nuked.
>>
>>55134930
Nice try, NSA. You need to do
shred -uzn9001 --random-source=/dev/urandom <file>
>>
>>55135203

One ought to read the warning messages on shred before assuming a file is securely deleted. Specifically for filesystems like ext4 you might run into issues
>>
You're probably better off using full disk encryption unless you live in a country where it's illegal (i.e. you'll go to prison if you can't provide the key). Since all data is encrypted you can just delete the files normally.
>>
>>55134905
OP, we need to talk.

By asking that question, one can tell you're obviously trying to do something you're not supposed to be doing, and more importantly, that you're too stupid to pull it off.

So just stop.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.