[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD And Other Things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3
File: somuchbetter_left.jpg (66 KB, 395x560) Image search: [Google]
somuchbetter_left.jpg
66 KB, 395x560
/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD.

IRC :: #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: http://dragonflydigest.com - http://undeadly.org - http://freebsdnews.com
>>
One cool thing I love about OpenBSD is how the kernel can emulate linux binaries.
>>
>>55130748
They dropped that with 5.9. Kinda sucks, I have to use SeaMonkey now.
>>
>>55130732
Nothing works on BSD. While it may be a good OS for a selection of servers Linux remains higher in the chain than BSD in both embedded devices and personal computers.

I wish BSD distros had native compatibility for Linux applications. Even snaps would be a good option.
>>
>>55130732
GNU/+BSD
>>
>>55130894
>Nothing works on BSD
Yet here I am using OpenBSD on my laptop because it had better hardware support than Linux or Windows.
>BSD distros
kek

Also, OpenBSD used to, does if you're okay with using a slightly outdated version, and FreeBSD still does.

>>55130918
Fuck off
>>
>>55130937
Subjective argument. Any hardware driver for *nix should work universally. How is your hardware acceleration on virtualbox?
>>
>>55130974
>Subjective argument. Any hardware driver for *nix should work universally.
No, this is objective. Linux simply did not support hardware I have in my laptop.
>How is your hardware acceleration on virtualbox?
What?
>>
>>55130937
NetBSD has one too, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>55131020
I see.

You don't actually know what you are talking about. Hahaha neo/g/.

Welcome
>>
>>55131049
Though I have to admit, I fucking HATE the NetBSD installer. OpenBSD's is so much simpler yet it never actually breaks.

Anyway, shame I missed out on BSDCan.
>>
>>55131058
Sure thing kid
>>
>>55131095
Don't like it? Don't reply. It's not that difficult.
>>
I am fetching the FreeBSD installer again after trying OpenBSD.
OpenBSD is pretty cool, but it doesn't support my netbook's wireless chip (atheros ar9485 or something). I was considering making the driver myself, but I have zero experience and all the good resources out there are about FreeBSD. So I guess I first master FreeBSD, and then, once I know what I'm doing, I move into OpenBSD. Which has some dank man pages.
I can't find a good resource on the technical, kernel-level differences between Free and OpenBSD.
>>
>>55131111
It's our dedicated anti-bsd shitposter. It's best to ignore and report him.
>>
>>55131255
I know damned well who he is, ignore him or not he doesn't shut up. The more you argue with him the more retarded he makes himself out to be.
>>
Has anyone gotten the BSD userland to work with Linux yet?
>>
>>55131299
I don't think there ever was a serious attempt, unfortunately.

I think it would be very possible to port the NetBSD one over, though.
>>
>>55131299
Why would they?
>>
>>55132465
clean userland with a kernel that works on more shit
>>
>>55132552
How hard would it be to port OpenBSD to work with the linux kernel and other linux software?
>>
>>55132593
Probably harder than NetBSD.

You gotta keep in mind that OpenBSD has stuff like pledge and arc4random.
>>
>>55132607
Never used NetBSD, how stable and secure is NetBSD?
>>
>>55132731
I didn't use it much either.

Seemed stable with sane enough defaults. In fact it's so stable that there's a major update once in a blue moon. If OpenBSD was based on it, it's for a good reason.
>>
Why doesn't freeBSD use GCC? Is GPLV3 really that much of an issue to have a better compiler?
>>
>>55133100
they believe clang is superior.
>>
>>55133100
the GPLv3 goes against everything the BSDs stand for
>>
>>55130732
What benefits are there to using a BSD instead of GNU/Linux?
>>
>>55133662
This gets asked in basically every thread and there's no easy way to answer it. You might as well ask what the benefit of using GNU/Linux is over OSX or OSX over Windows. Different OSes do somewhat different things and have different philosophies. Also each BSD is its own OS and the BSDs are not actually that closely related. They have similar licensing policies but their projects are managed quite differently and each one of them has their own goals.
>>
>>55133953
more like this gets asked in every thread so the shitposter can go "s-see? BSD users are just hipsters!"
>>
>>55131299
yes
https://github.com/chneukirchen/obase
>>
>>55133966
this is old as fuck though
>>
>>55133963
Not really, I'm genuinely curious. I never managed to get BSD working on my laptop because of drivers so I want to know what I'm missing out on.
>>
>>55133224
The BSDs stand for the right of megacorps to enslave others (without having to pay a programer to implement their botnet).
>>
>>55134047
yeah just look at those people FORCED to work on BSD operating systems

down with the megacorps
>>
>>55130793
good riddance.
Got rid of useless shit.
Not like "emulating" linux worked well at all.
/sys /proc etc
>>
>>55134115
yeah and no one was really maintaining it anyway

emulation layers suck ass
>>
>>55130937
>et here I am using OpenBSD on my laptop because it had better hardware support than Linux or Windows.
you must have very lucky hardware support.
how's that suspend failing working out for ya?
how about trying to make encrypted /home and kernel panic cause the softraid system is broken.

also no bluetooth, shit wifi, etc etc
>>
>>55130732
Liking your literal server OS? FreeBSD on the servers and a REAL desktop OS on the desktop, GNU.
>>
>>55134057
Some people like getting cucked. The ironic thing is that companies actually prefer the GPL due to the simple fact that competitors are forced to reveal their special sauce.
>>
File: Blob.jpg (124 KB, 227x343) Image search: [Google]
Blob.jpg
124 KB, 227x343
Why does it feel like OpenBSD is the cleanest OS ever to exist?
Everything else is shit organization.
>>
>>55134127
There's also vmm/vmd which will allow for gnu/linux compatibility anyway.
>>
ssh, pf, libressl

am I missing anything else good
>>
>>55134194
ed
>>
>>55134143
>cuck
is that the only word you know
>>
>>55134194
Man I hope pledge takes off elsewhere that thing has a lot of potential.
>>
>>55134194
doas, mg and soon, httpd and opensmtp
>>
>>55133100
GLPv3 does not work for Apple- who supports a lot of fbsd dev work- so they paid to fast-track clang development/deployment. Also clang shows a lot of promise and may one day be universally acknowledged as superior. Too lazy to find sauce- google it.
>>
>>55134222
doas is good, and opensmtpd. httpd does allow fastcgi. I use it to upload pics from wii U browser to my obsd machine.

ooh and softbios system is pretty cool you can encrypt partitions.

I use mg with doas as a sort of "sudoedit"

the Openbsd team makes some quality software.
>>
>>55133149
clang is superior, to the chagrin of Stallman. He hates the bsd license for obvious reasons
>>
>>55134373
Oh yeah, I forgot about softbios.

I can't wait until the integrate that into the installer.
>>
http://www.bsdcan.org/2016/schedule/events/684.en.html

http://quigon.bsws.de/papers/2016/asiabsdcon/index.html

I'd like to see a video of this presentation. Can't seem to find it though sadly.
>>
>>55134391
why is it superior?
>>
>>55134450
anything is better than anything relating to the GNU project

have you ever looked at GNU code, it's awful
>>
>>55134450
better design from the start.
gnu gcc/g++ is ancient with continual cruft tacked on.
>>
>>55134439
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOidjSS7Hsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7pDnBO5wSM
the BSDCan channel on youtube has videos from this year's BSDCan but none of the interesting talks are there

who the fuck cares about that ham radio shit
>>
>>55134501
Yeah it's supposed to be in the day 1 talks but it was probably being held elsewhere because the day 1 video doesn't have it at the time specified.
>>
I got minidlna working on my OpenBSD router. Now I can watch my anime on the tv from my obsd media center.

Also I made scripts to setup and redirect the right ports for my WiiU and ps4 with PF. Finally got "Open" nat type.

Running unbound so I can give all my machines local dns names.

Got httpd running with fastcgi for a browser interface.

ntpd, dhcpd, nfsd, ...

Openbsd makes a great firewall / router / server.
>>
>>55134624
as usual, compare true.c

if THAT'S how they implement true.c, how much shittier can their C compiler be?
>>
>>55134458
>>55134480
Well why isnt it used as much as gcc?
>>
>>55134644
not mature/proven yet
>>
All the OpenBSD devs are white males.
> write some of the best software in world

I'm not racist just pointing out facts
>>
>>55134896
but all the BSDs had japanese computer scientists contributing at least once
>>
>>55134903
Especially for IPv6
>>
>>55134903
yep of course you see some .jp emails on the obsd mailing lists and man pages.

which is cool. Japanese are good too.

I'm just looking at the 5.8 cd case cover. which shows a bunch of the devs
>>
>>55134133
>how's that suspend failing working out for ya?
Haven't had an issue with it
>how about trying to make encrypted /home and kernel panic cause the softraid system is broken
I've used full disk encrypted softraid since 5.6 without issue
>no bluetooth
I haven't used Bluetooth on my laptop in years
>shit wifi
Works on my machine
>>
Why does every thread that I post in die?
>>
>>55134161
I feel that way too.
I just read that the OpenBSD code and even the documentation goes through a lot of review before getting to the main cvs repo.
FreeBSD on the other hand seems to be more biased towards, well, being popular and 'user friendly' . I don't know about netBSD though, never used it.
>>
HELP PLEASE when I run Free-BSD I cant start Xorg. it says server authentication failed. no screens. when I run xorg -configure it goes to a black screen, just black. I have done extensive googling, I did Linux solutions, unix solutions, and all sorts of BSD solutions, please help
>>
>>55136730
>RTFM
or
>Kill yourself
choose one, fucko
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.