[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ why does my DD-WRT router randomly stop allowing connections
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
/g/ why does my DD-WRT router randomly stop allowing connections and i have to power cycle it to make it work again?

ive upgraded to different firmware versions and sometimes it'll not work, others will work for a few weeks then it starts happening

there doesnt appear to be any log system in ddwrt that tracks system errors, just connections and stuff
>>
>>55127988
>power cycle it
>>
>>55128327

yeah i hit the power button, then turn it back on an it fixes it
>>
>>55128434
Because you need a new one
>>
>>55127988
>DD-WRT
>complains when it's shit
Are you a professional moron or just an enthusiastic amateur?
>>
>>55128773

its barely a year old so i highly doubt it

and the issue is repeated by several users on various firmware builds

my question is what exactly is happening to cause it cause the ddwrt devs sure as fuck will never talk about it
>>
>>55128823

show me a link to openwrt with a fully fledged QoS system already implamented and ill switch

also link me to the version im actaully supposed to use since they have arm7 but also broadcom as 2 options which are a cpu and type of cpu my rounter has which makes it confusing as fuck
>>
>>55128844
didn't read lol.png
>>
>>55128844
Just ask your brother to hold off on his downloading. Alternatively move out of your parents house and buy a real switch instead of throwing a band aid piece of shit software on an already shitty piece of equipment
>>
>>55128892

exactly cause you got blown the fuck out in the first sentance and new you had no comeback

ive tried tomato, open and any other meme firmware, none of them have QoS implamented and the ones that have "add-on" or bullshit nerdy scripts needed to be added dont have any tangible QoS that manages itself, you just manually set a max throughput which does nothing.

ddwrt is specifically known for its QoS on top of everything else that the normal OEM firmware does half-assed
>>
File: Screenshot_20160617_165636.png (17 KB, 627x229) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160617_165636.png
17 KB, 627x229
>>55128844
Are you just too stupid to use the software repo?
>>
>>55128933
If I wanted my comeback I would've wiped it off your mum's chin m8
>>
>>55128921

it happens when theres hardly no usage actually

also its a $100 RT-AC56U specifically made to support it, not much "realer" you can get
>>
>>55128951
Yeah, I've heard that jokette, too... try being original.
>>
>>55128944

>shows scripts
>doesnt show a screen cap of the actual features it gives
>>
File: Screenshot_20160617_165930.png (54 KB, 1436x740) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160617_165930.png
54 KB, 1436x740
>>55128976
If you're really interested you could try it yourself, but whatever.
>>
>>55128990

i literally have aids looking at those options

>choosing a specific port
>choosing a specific protocol

>no where in sight to just tell a specific MAC addresses to be prioritiezed within what ever order you want

thanks for proving my point
>>
>>55129036
maybe it's not the options maybe you should just stop sucking such enormous amounts of dick
>>
>>55129053

>literally has BYTES....fucking BYTES

was that fucking firmware developed in the fucking 90s or something?

i have to use a fucking bandwidth calculator to find out what fucking number of bytes calculate into my triple mb speeds now?
>>
>>55129036
Set a static IP and then specify it under that big "source host" heading, then choose "all" for the shit you don't want to specify.

Honestly, you should probably just revert back to stock firmware if you're struggling this bad.
>>
>>55129074

the first step is actually finding the fucking version that im supposed to install, since as i already said they have a link for arm7 cpu and also broadcom, which is what both are and make no sense
>>
>>55129071
>bandwidth calculator
You have a calculator that only divides by eight?
>>
>>55129086

you can literally google and find several sites with one, m8

anything that has fucking BYTES as the base calculation was clearly written by a couple of baby boomers in their spare time back when AOL had internet CD's
>>
>>55129108
>you can literally google and find several sites with one, m8
You can also just not be a retard and learn how to multiply and divide by 8.
>>
>>55127988
>eMule
Is it 2005?
>>
>>55129180

its a random google image result m8
>>
>>55129125

or i can just use the great techonlogy we have at hand to do it for me

remember the entire concept behind humans creating them in the first place

nobody gives you cookies for wasting brain storage for math equations
>>
It might just be your hardware, although heaven knows the third-party firmware scene is buggier than Pankot Palace. Consumer routing equipment is really dogshit for durability. Most of /g/ is going to rag on you because you can get a ton more reliability and capability from an x86 machine running something like pfSense, and you can have it perform as a server to boot. Given the rather ridiculous cost of consumer routers, this should be the de facto choice for techies.

I'd try the stock firmware for awhile under the same loads and see if it holds up. If it does, then yay -WRT bugs.

WRT projects are chaotic as hell. I had a router where over two generations of OpenWRT, the same bug I helped track down was reintroduced three times in later builds because opensourcelol. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, you're boned.
>>
>>55129211
Honestly, I don't know what you want. You were bitching about OpenWRT not having QoS, I showed you it did, now you're bitching about having to use basic multiplication and division skills to convert between bits and bytes for the initial configuration.

Stick with rebooting DD-WRT every day or revert to stock, I really don't care.
>>
>>55129219

seeing how theres no moving parts, what would cause the issue?

the only contention ive seen about the arm CPU's is about the temps, but some say the mid-60's Celsius is more than fine, but others say sometimes its showing higher than it is
>>
>>55129250

none of your screencaps so how it actually prioritizes, is it by sepcific steps, is it within a certain number of steps, is it just barebones bullshit that doestn really work

does it make sure to always allow at least some of the network for all devices so you cant "flood" out and have it lose connection
>>
>>55129271

Heat. Poor soldering joints coming loose from thermal cycling. That heatsink is sitting on what, a metal shield that may or may not be actually thermally joined to the underlying chip.

It's a downside of SoC construction rather than a socketed package with an integrated heat spreader.
>>
>>55129360

i was thinking about putting one of my pc case fans on it, would just need a way to power the 3 pins tho

but the router itself doesnt shut down, it literally will just not accept connections but ill see the LED lights still flicker randomly, theres a bunch of threads on the ddwrt reddit page with similar symptoms, one of which talks about SSH connections still working, which may be the case, i dont really know how to test that

but upgrading firmwares usually fixes it, i also think its the WIFI part cause back when i had it disabled i never had these issues but once i got some devices and left it on these happen from time to time
>>
You can set up dd-wrt to restart at a specific time everyday or once a week automatically.

Should be in the administration tab
>>
>>55129498

the hardware specs dont seem to ever be near full, in terms of the ram or cache so i dont think thats the issue
>>
File: RT-AC56U Heatsink.jpg (287 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
RT-AC56U Heatsink.jpg
287 KB, 640x480
>>55129522

He's right, though. Automated restarts sort out problems quite often with WRT.

>i was thinking about putting one of my pc case fans on it, would just need a way to power the 3 pins tho

This may not help. I'll attach some pictures to illustrate the problem. In this first picture, you can see the "geewhiz must be quality" heatsink.
>>
File: RT-AC65U Heat Spreader.jpg (422 KB, 1600x1168) Image search: [Google]
RT-AC65U Heat Spreader.jpg
422 KB, 1600x1168
>>55129601

However, the heatsink is really just attached to these heatspreaders (dunno if there's thermal paste or not).
>>
File: RT-AC56U Underlying Chips.png (2 MB, 1447x1084) Image search: [Google]
RT-AC56U Underlying Chips.png
2 MB, 1447x1084
>>55129623

But finally we reach the crux of the problem: the heatspreader doesn't necessarily contact the underlying chips. If there's an airgap between the chip and the spreader, then practically nothing is happening to cool the chip. If they're using a fat glop of thermal pad to stick the spreader on, it is also likely doing next to no good. Given that the chips likely are at a varying z-height relative to each other, this is probably happening.
>>
>>55129601
>>55129623
>>55129672

what site did you get that from?

do they have suggested routers based on build quality?

cause this one is really over provisioned, its 2x the nvram needed and 2x the memory needed for the full version of ddwrt
>>
>>55129718

Various sites. I used Google's image search.

Smallnetbuilder is a good consumer-grade hardware review site. Still though, it's like reviewing Harbor Freight tools: they're all crap compared to the real thing, which in this case is an x86 box with 2+ network adapters.
>>
>>55129772

would the 1150/51 Celerons be more than enough to run pfsense?
>>
>>55129486
>one of which talks about SSH connections still working, which may be the case, i dont really know how to test that
Try SSHing into it? It's not rocket surgery.
>>
>>55129872

nigger i dont know how to do all that shit
>>
>>55129839
Pfsense will run on just about anything faster than a Pentium.
Depending on what sort of throughput you need of course, a 1GHz Pentium 3 with good quality NICs will do pretty much anything you might need for a home connection unless you are on 100+ Mbit fiber or something.
>>
File: Athlon 5350.jpg (366 KB, 1800x1193) Image search: [Google]
Athlon 5350.jpg
366 KB, 1800x1193
>>55129839

https://www.pfsense.org/hardware/#requirements

Looks like the answer is yes.

If you've got a bit of spare cash and some interest in a homeserver, I think AMD's AM1 platform is pretty tough to beat right now. For ~$100 for a mobo/APU, you have a very respectable low-TDP server that outperforms intel's equivalent J-series, thanks to the ability of the APU's GPU to boost crypto speed for applications like VPN.
>>
>>55129772
not OP, but are there any recommended wireless cards for this method to add wireless network access? or would I be better off just getting a router?
>>
>>55127988
>dd-wrt
There is your problem.
Use OpenWRT anon.
>>
>>55129976

You can certainly use your router to act as an Access Point. Alternatively, I would recommend an adapter that allows you to attach external antennae so you can place them higher than your server's case is likely to be. You also don't really want a big metal obstruction (the case) blocking half of the radiation.

As far as a specific recommendation, I really don't have one. Intel's network adapters are generally considered best but I don't know if that extends to their wireless and Bluetooth chipsets as well. I would say definitely don't buy anything with Atheros chips as they really just suck with Linux (driver issues). Broadcom is usually solid.
>>
>>55129976
Get a standalone access point.
>>
>>55129672
>>55129623
Are those even heatspreaders or are they just (EMI) shields?
>>
>>55129960

whats the actual normal working temps of the arm CPU in that series of ASUS routers tho?

cause 65 is pretty high ,its higher than desktop intels are usually run at safely, my i3-4170 certainly never gets that hot and its doing a lot more computing than the router
>>
>>55130144

Probably doing double-duty.
>>
>>55130168

I couldn't say and honestly, I doubt even the manufacturer knows because the heatsink is going to vary in utility from board to board. The chips are rated to some given temp for the warranty period and any cooling is likely to extend the useful service life beyond that. In this case, the heatsink is just a marketing gimmick because hey, it must be durable because they put a chunk of aluminum nowhere near the actual Broadcom SoC's heatspreader.

I can say that I have ARM CPUs that run well into the 70C range with a heatsink and they are flaky. I wouldn't expect any of them to live longer than a few years under any real load.
>>
What router brands does /g/ avoid?
>>
>>55130283

i just wish router manufactuers listed all their hardware specs like asus does, most of them just tout their wifi shit even when you look under "specifics"

now that i can see the specific hardware needed to run ddwrt it WOULD be easy to find a cheap option, but instead its a bunch of double/triple source checking
>>
>>55129893
>he doesn't know how to SSH
Yeah, you really shouldn't be running third-party firmware, you are not the target market.
>>
>>55127988
sup op. Get some logs on the system and connections. Pull logs from whomevers connecting. Is it timing out?

>>55128773
lazymans way. WTF do you know about networking?

>>55128823
ignore this fucking retard. Hes a shill from a company that wants to encourage an HP, dell, or asus product [HP-switches, Dell sonicpoints, asus home $240 range products alien atennas].

Stay strong OP. Troubleshoot. The bazaar vs the cathedral. Tap into the community once you've done your research. Many others post with similar problems and post fixes.
>>
>>55130445

the only log option it has is for connections, not "critical system" or something similar to windows logs
>>
>>55129983
/thread
>>
>>55130398

Reviews from good sites (smallnetbuilder) usually list the relevant chips, generally from taking apart a review sample and showing photos. The FCC listings also have photos IIRC but the chips can be difficult to read.
>>
>>55130445

>troubleshoot

the only troubleshooting is just installing the next build and hope

the devs seem to feel like calling every release a "beta" they can just not ever respond to why each version usually has issues or bother explaining what could be causing this similar issue that almost every build has according to their forums "new build" threads

only issue is sometimes it'll mimic on initial install but other times like this it wont start happening till weeks/month later

i did just enable the reboot once a week tho so we'll see if that makes any difference

i still think its wifi related cause even DDWRT devs admit their support for that isnt as solid as ethernet and their workaround was to manually set it to just B or G cause thats when this type of issue started happening when i got some wireless devices and had to enable it

intially i found out that if i manually set it to B or G speeds it fixed it, over time the N speeds seem to have gotten stabilized so i can leave it on mixed
>>
>>55128951
Burnnnnnnn
>>
Are you torrenting?

Limit the number of open connections and half open connections, both on your software and the router.
>>
>>55128933
Tomato is god tier, just doesn't support over 100Mbps
>>
>>55129960
I built a glorious AM1 system not too long ago. AMD quad 1.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD and a HP quad NIC for pfSense. Been running for around 6 months now without a peep out of it :D
>>
>>55130604

no its the exact opposite scenarios when it happens
>>
>>55130604
>>55130711

also ddwrt already has the number of max connections halfed at 32-something thousand rather than 64
>>
>>55130711
>>55130722
Just saying this because when I was doing it years ago, router was capable and did run dd-wrt mega, it had 128mb of memory, and torrent clients would still crash it without setting both much lower. Spent over a night messing about with settings and that one worked instantly.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.