[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone with network experience in here? Help me with this question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (42 KB, 597x507) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
42 KB, 597x507
Anyone with network experience in here? Help me with this question

How many /29 subnets are possible in the following range?
Block: 192.168.1.0
Net mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>>
We're not doing your IT homework, Sandip.
>>
>>55116526
at least 0
>>
>>55116544
it's not homework. I'm trying to figure out networking and if someone can explain the answer to me, it would be very informative and I can use it to make understanding the material better
>>
>>55116599
Took me 10 min to figure it out, what the hell op
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork
>>
>>
>>55116526
2^(29-24)

kil urself op
>>
>>55116526
http://www.engineeringradio.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Subnet_Chart.pdf
>>
>>55116647
yes i know 32 would seem like the answer because "google" but I just want to know if it IS the right one because of the provided Block address and a different net mask
>>
>>55116751
a /29 has 2^(32-29) = 2^3 = 8 ip addresses

192.168.1.0 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 = 192.158.1.0/24 = 256 IP addresses

256 / 8 = 32 8-ip address subnets possible in that block

FYI, it helps to think of IP addresses in the 4 blocks of 8-bits that they represent; a /29 means the last 3 bits can change with 2^3 possible permutations
>>
>>55116526
IPv4 is such a shitshow. It's goddamned embarrassing that IPv6 found a way to be even worse.

Why can't we have a sane, consistent, 128-bit address protocol?
>>
>>55116864

thank you for that information.
>>
just to clarify the answer is 8 since the question is asking for possible subnets not IP addresses
>>
>>55116864
Actually 6 usable adresses per block because you can't use the network and broadcast addresses
>>
>>55116902
IPv4 grew over time. Back when it was developed, nobody even thought about network sizing, there were only three sizes: A, B and C. Then they discovered this to be a MASSIVE waste (bunch of companies still sitting on A networks, I believe General Motors owns the whole 3.0.0.0/8 range - What do you need that many public IP addresses for if you're not an ISP?) and developed subnet masks.
This then fucked with the routing protocols back then because they didn't have fields to advertise subnet masks, so new versions (RIPv2 etc.) had to be developed.
Then they discovered that subnet masks were still a massive waste because you couldn't make differently-sized networks and a router-to-router-link only needs two addresses. Then they developed VLSM, which fucked with the routing protocol implementations because they would get automatically summarized.

IPv6 has been around since the nineties and afaik there's still no true complete RFC out that's not experimental or such. The solution to subnetting problems was to stuff so much space into it that you wouldn't ever run out of addresses (they thought that about IPv4 too ...).
WHO THE FUCK HAD THE IDEA TO SEPARATE THE BLOCKS WITH COLONS???
If you want to connect to an alternate port, you need to enter [xx:xx:xx:xx::x:x]:8080.
IPv6 is already outdated (its been around for 20 years) and still not used. It's time to develop IPv8!
>>
>>55117038
The possible subnets are 2^5 = 32 tho
>>
>>55117666
IPv6 was outdated the day before it was debuted.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.