[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do CS101 classes no longer cover fundamentals like automata,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: turing.gif (5 KB, 497x200) Image search: [Google]
turing.gif
5 KB, 497x200
Why do CS101 classes no longer cover fundamentals like automata, formal languages, complexity classes, the lambda calculus, the halting problem, and the church-turing thesis?

Instead they do gay shit in Python.
>>
>>55103055

>instead they do gay shit in python

that gay is what employers actually give a shit about; theory should be relegated to their own courses for those who want to pursue academics for post undergrad
>>
>>55103055
Usually those are covered in later classes.
>>
Because you touch yourself at night
>>
>>55103055
>>55103100
Nice dubs
But yeah, that kind of stuff that they teach you at school is the stuff that companies care most about. You can easily teach yourself most of that stuff though, just takes time.
>>
>>55103100
>>55103116
These.

OP is a fag trying to boost his e-dick by throwing around a few basic CS terms he recently learned
>>
I know python, which is to say that I understand the concepts of loops, functions, classes, variables, oop and their implementation in the python language.

What I don't know is everything else. Those concepts I mentioned took 4 weeks to understand and become proficient in. I'm so fucking scared at the idea that I'm looming over the edge into a vast dark abbys of the unknown. I dont even know, what I dont know, but I know that theres so much that I dont know - if that makes sense.

How fucked am I? How much more is there to learn? Every book I read and text I find regarding python is all the same; 200 pages explaining the above basic principles. As someone with a CS degree, just how fucked am I? How much is out there that I haven't even touched upon?
>>
>>55103211

>as someone with a CS degree

I mean the question is directed at CS students, not that I have a cs degree
>>
>>55103055
Because there's no point in skimming over all that content if you don't go into the details like what the fuck man there's no way you could teach any of those concepts to any depth in a semester. You just end up teaching a trivia based syllabus where the students can solve one or two problems from each field but have no real understanding beyond what can be found on wikipedia page. Also they do teach complexity classes, the halting problem and formal languages in the introductory CS unit i did a couple years ago...

also don't bait, ur not even doing it well desu
>>
>why are diploma mills dumbing down classes to cater to mac book laden "web devs"

Golly, I wonder why.
>>
>>55103211
Your not in a terrible spot, just spend some time over the summer or something and enhance your knowledge as much as you can.
Also nice dubs
>>
>>55103211
There is a lot more to computing than just basic python programming, don't worry. And no it's really not that hard you'll be fine!
>>
>>55103055
What kind of employment can you get with knowledge in automata theory?
>>
File: 1461855226729.jpg (63 KB, 388x525) Image search: [Google]
1461855226729.jpg
63 KB, 388x525
>>55103416
A university degree was never about employment, it's about differentiating yourself from plebians.

Ideally you should be from a good enough background with enough contacts that you will be guaranteed a job anyway.
>>
This.
Because there aren't nearly enough good jobs.
>>
>>55103100
Shouldn't people taking CS actually be learning CS?

If they want to be learning employable shit ASAP they ought to go to a boot camp or something.
>>
>>55103727
There are many different fields of CS. I studied machine learning, computer architecture, graphics, algorithms, networking, operating systems, and databases during my time as an undergraduate. They all require basic programming knowledge, so it makes sense for it to be taught in CS 101. None of them required bullshit like Turing computability or lambda calculus.
>>
>>55103055
I go to a top 5 school for CS in the UK. I had to teach myself this stuff. We didn't even begin until the second year.

Second year was actually really good. First year was awful.
>>
>>55103116
had that shit in my first year and thats a poorfag slavic uni
>>
>>55103055
They don't? Even code monkey non-CS programs cover this in Yurop.
>>
>>55103250
>>55103251

Awesome, thanks guys. Any idea where I should go from here? Even just rough concepts or texts that I should read, or what some of the main things that I'm missing might be?
>>
>>55103775
this, the only thing that a 101 class would have that the OP mentioned is complexity every thing else would be covered in more advanced courses
>>
>>55103866
Yeah but speaking as an burgerland CS student, we generally don't. Algorithm analysis isn't even part of our bachelors CS program (it's a 500 level class so masters only kek kill me)
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.