[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A fully libre ARM board?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: raspberry-pi-logo.png (50 KB, 511x642) Image search: [Google]
raspberry-pi-logo.png
50 KB, 511x642
So, someone has been working on an open source firmware for the Raspberry Pi board (https://github.com/christinaa/rpi-open-firmware), which would make it the first ARM board without any proprietary blobs (since the GPU driver is already open source).

What do you think /g/?
>>
install gentoo.
>>
I think that it is very very good.
If things go well, We could see over clocked Pi's as a replacement for the librebooted thinkpad.
>>
>>55100463
Woa, cool.

Now if we can just get an RPi with a high speed interface for mass storage (SATA or something) and no bullshit lame lcd and camera connectors then I'd buy several.
>>
>>55102364
would like on demand steaks and blowjobs too.
>>
>>55100463
Kinda nice, but since I'm not planning on modifying the firmware, and am not as religious about having 100% Free software as some are, it's no advantage over the standard firmware for me.

>>55102364
If those are your priorities, you want a different board altogether.
>>
>>55102596
As Raspberry Pi's possibilities and popularity grow with each new generation, it's not only understandable that Raspberry Pi Foundation simply might not ever be able to offer fully libre firmware whatnot for RPIs and it has always been various corporations' interest to force and lock people to use their tech for only what they allow and want they want people to do with it. Only through fully libre software RPIs can be utilized to reach the maximum potential.

>>55102364
SATA is already outdated interface, although it won't die for years and would be without doubt a significant upgrade - M.2/USB-C might be more reasonable.
>>
>>55103243
>M.2/USB-C might be more reasonable.
The next raspberry pi has 3x usb-C IIRC
>>
>>55100463
I'd like to see something like this in uATX format
>>
>>55103243
Which is fair enough, but for the vast majority of users, there is no practical benefit to having a Libre firmware as opposed to the current firmware. If one exists, then maybe at some point someone will add features in firmware that the RPi Foundation themselves can't or won't, but that's all hypothetical.
>>
>>55103243
Can I get a few lanes of pcie 3?
>>
>>55103408
As long as they can keep the pricetag at $35 and the current size why not.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.