[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, why hasn't Wayland replaced X yet? What's taking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: download (1).png (72 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
72 KB, 500x375
So, why hasn't Wayland replaced X yet?

What's taking so long?
>>
>>55098364
>>What's taking so long?
a.) there's a tremendous amount of stuff that needs changing with a transition like that. Dozens of projects have to be either majorly refactored or completely rewritten, and hundreds of other projects depend on them.
b.) The biggest obstacle to a better solution is an existing system that's good enough. For a lot of things and people, X is good enough.
>>
>>55098443
Why don't they just make Wayland compatible with X applications? Sounds simple to me.
>>
>>55099457
They have. It's called Xwayland.
It doesn't magically make X window managers magically become wayland compositors though.
>>
Because X is actually awesome, Wayland sucks
>>
>>55099563
>X is actually awesome
You can't be serious.
>>
>>55099522
So we just have to fix the window managers, not the applications themselves. That sounds much easier.
>>
>>55099576
Its fucking awesome, doesn't mean its not over due for a replacement though
>>
>>55098364
Well, I won't switch to Wayland until it supports my window manager.

Which it probably never will, because Wayland is broken by design. Also, fuck CSDs.
>>
>>55099644
> implying X isn't more broken by design
>>
>>55099669
It is, but it works for me. Wayland would be more of a downgrade than an upgrade right now.
>>
File: Weyland-Yutani_Coporation_Logo.jpg (80 KB, 575x269) Image search: [Google]
Weyland-Yutani_Coporation_Logo.jpg
80 KB, 575x269
>>55098364
This is why
>>
>>55099677
> why should we ever improve broken things
>>
>>55098364
You need KMS support to get anywhere with wayland and mir. Conveniently enough, proprietary drivers aren't compatible with KMS. So you can't game or do any intense 3D workloads in wayland. What's the point of porting my shit, then?
>>
>>55099720
>implying a downgrade is an improvement
uh huh
>>
>>55098443
Most projects are targeting QT or GTK. Most projects don't target X directly. There are already GTK and QT support for Wayland. These projects need to do nothing to support Wayland.
>>
>>55099721
Doesn't nvidia support KMS and wayland just fine?
>>
>>55099721
>implying that you directly target libx
>>
>>55098443
B is the big one for me. Why should I care? X works just fine. Plus, screensavers. I don't care if they're a relic, I want them.
>>
>>55099741
i need devilspie2 and synergy which require X
>>
>>55099772
The extensions that people made to X11 is falling apart for modern usage. Yes, it does work today but it is not a good solution.

The people who are developing Weston are the same people who are developing the reference X11 implementation. They developed Wayland because they know exactly what is wrong with X11 in today's environment and they took it upon themselves to start a project that will fix those issues.
>>
>>55098443
Genuine question related to what you said
As we can see, wayland have a lot of troubles to be widely adopted, and it takes some time. But what about mir ? Won't they face the same issues ? Even worse since only ubuntu unity will adopt it (every distributions based on ubuntu have said to support wayland instead of mir).
>>
>>55099983
Mir is dead in the water. There is literally no reason to use it.
It's stupid shit like that which causes me to hate Canonical.
>>
>>55099603
>>55099522
Core programmers on X keep saying its bullshit and has to be redone entirely. They never stop cleaning this shitty project that doesn't even do anything anymore since it pretty much regurgitate what the window manager gives to it
>>
>>55098364
Mir happened
>>
>>55099983
Mir is typical Canonical DOA software. Just like 90% of the stuff they try pushing on the world, it's pure shit.
>>
>>55099741
So either GTK and Qt have to manage Wayland support with no API changes and essentially bug-for-bug compatibility, which is a very tall order, or the applications that target them will need modification, also a tall order.
>>
>>55099828
>synergy
muh negro
>>
File: 1465870815333-pol.jpg (38 KB, 347x441) Image search: [Google]
1465870815333-pol.jpg
38 KB, 347x441
ALL WRONG.
What's taking so long is baking x11 calls and configuring wayland to fully support x11 programs.
>>
>>55100309
Wayland is a graphics protocol, it has nothing to do with X11. Xwayland is a windowing compositor that lets X11 servers run on the Wayland protocol.
>>
>>55100339
I meant xorg
>>
>>55099828
>synergy
same
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.