[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Libreboot even worth the hassle to install?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: sakurako_question_mark.png (183 KB, 386x406) Image search: [Google]
sakurako_question_mark.png
183 KB, 386x406
Is Libreboot even worth the hassle to install?
>>
Is designed for SOME machines, you can't just install it.
>>
I love it. But what you call "hassle" I consider a fun project.

The real winning feature is the ability to boot to USB from BIOS. No need for a hdd in your machine!
>>
File: richard_stallman_75[1].jpg (68 KB, 1200x794) Image search: [Google]
richard_stallman_75[1].jpg
68 KB, 1200x794
GNU and Linux will enable you to live in freedom, at least as regards your computer is concerned, because, of course, it won't guarantee your freedom in other areas of life. We can't do that by writing software, but at least in your own computer you'll be able to live in freedom if you insist on Free Software. I'm not going to repeat what I said at the beginning of this talk, because it would take to much time, but there is a recording being made, so you can listen to what I said at the beginning, about this very issue.

But, y'know, freedom, it's not guaranteed that you can have freedom without ever any sacrifice. The sacrifice will certainly include that you don't use Autocad, because Autocad is a non-free program. It tramples your freedom. So you have to get rid of Autocad to have freedom.

In regard to a drawing program, I think maybe, did you say Corel Draw? I couldn't hear the list. But we have drawing programs, like the GIMP. Or Inkscape, but I've never used those things.

The point is that in some cases there is Free Software you can use to do those things. In some cases maybe there's not, and when there isn't, that means, at least temporarily, to live in freedom requires a certain sacrifice. Fortunately not a big sacrifice.

There are times when freedom has required people to sacrifice their lives, but here we can win freedom with nothing more than an inconvenience. I'm sure there was a time in your life when you hadn't got a computer and didn't use any of those programs. And somehow, you got through it and you didn't die.

We're doing our best, y'know. We've been working on developing Free Software for twenty-three years now, and we've done a lot and there's still more we have to do. In order for us to do more, more have to volunteer. We're doing what we can, so to ask us to do something is sort of the wrong approach. We need people to come forward and say "I want to do something". Then we can do more. That's what it takes.
>>
>>55091961
>use usb as boot device
I'm not sure the pros of that outweigh the cons unless you're running Tails or Puppy Linux.

How do you use it?
>>
>>55091870
Running libre is kind of moot unless your hardware is also free.
>>
>>55092208
Predictably as a Tails-box
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.