[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple open-sources their C stdlib, and it's the cutest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Apple open-sources their C stdlib, and it's the cutest thing.

http://opensource.apple.com//source/Libc/Libc-594.1.4/gen/malloc.c
>>
>>55090797
>this interface isn't very good

Is it normal to open source code like that when you are a multi billion dollar company?
>>
>>55091219
They don't open source all of it. Their kernel is based of some open source material (one of the free BSDs), so they're required to release those parts open source. Open sourcing other small things also won't really matter.

Remember Apple makes most of their money on hardware with good software integration. So even if their whole OS was open source and free, they'd still rank in the dough since normies want their OSX to run in a shiny expensive box
>>
>>55091277
>so they're required to release those parts open source
haha, oh wow. it seems you don't understand how cucked BSD really is.
>>
>>55091277
I think he meant "open" in the sense of "start", as in the comment at the beginning.
>>
>>55091219

As they say in the comment, this code is just an implementation of a glibc function that wraps a better native function. The interface is from the gnu library, which helps explain why it's not very good. gnu is know for attracting religious zealots more than competent programmers.
>>
>>55091534
Oh, it's from the open source community? I thought it was from apple
>>
>>55091534
What would you say is an example of good programming?
I looked at some of the software that suckless recommends and I can't tell if it's just written very esoterically and I just suck or if not writing communicable code is a better approach for 'software that sucks less'.
>>
>>55091277
Nope. The kernel of Mac OS is based on the Mach kernel which is nothing like any of the BSD kernels. The only things they stole from FreeBSD are some userland components.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.