[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started using this browser. PC version is pretty good so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: brave.png (95 KB, 1360x760) Image search: [Google]
brave.png
95 KB, 1360x760
Just started using this browser. PC version is pretty good so far. The version I have on my android phone is annoying.

Thoughts?
>>
>>55080342
Less shilling this crappy browser across /g/, please.
>>
>>55080342
I don't understand what the point of that browser is. It's just Chrome with functions formerly available as extensions now baked into the browser, and it has a different/crappier UI.

The devs do a terrible job at explaining the point of the browser too. The only thing I've gleaned is that you can replace normal ads with Brave's own ads. As an end-user, I don't understand that shit.

Someone give me the elevator pitch for this browser.
>>
>>55080342
Why use this when opera exists?
>>
>>55080460
I'm using Opera, and like my Brave post earlier, I also don't understand why it exists.

Opera's old features and the Presto layout engine got gutted, and now it's just Chrome. The only notable differences I can perceive are the built-in adblocker, the thumbnail'd bookmarks UI, battery saver mode, and the Surf It Easy! suggestions.

And from the benchmarks I've been looking at, Opera Mini / Opera Mobile are getting beat-out by other browsers in terms of battery life and performance. So this makes me question the point of Opera even further, given that the company has tried to pivot more towards mobile.

Why does Opera even exist anymore? It doesn't really do anything better or different from anyone else anymore.
>>
>>55080510
since they abandoned presto for desktop, opera has been dead to me.
>>
>>55081563
Same here. Opera of old used to be so fucking cool, and it had lots of features that made it worth using.

I've been trying Opera again for the last few days... and I really cannot see why it exists. it's just a crappier version of Chrome that happens to re-arrange my pinned 4chan threads in random order whenever I click on one.

Why, Opera, why? Y'all niggas used to be cool.
>>
File: c.png (149 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
c.png
149 KB, 499x499
>>55080342
>using a browser designed to serve you ads and collect payments from you
>>
File: 1411582619134.png (235 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1411582619134.png
235 KB, 500x500
>>55081701

explain plz
>>
>>55082531
use google
>>
>>55080439
You pretty much said it. Ad blocking and anti-tracking are built in, and you have the option of using their own squeaky clean ad network to support sites or whatever.
>>
>hardcoded site hacks
>>https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/blob/master/js/data/siteHacks.js
>yet another chromium derivative
>>js based, built on top of libchromiumcontent
why would any one use this? i would use old presto opera over this js based crap anytime
>ishygddt
>>
>>55082691
Like I said in another thread, software like Brave exists because some hipsters needed their logo to have software to go along with it.
>>
Just vivaldi then bro
>>
>>55083170
But it's also built in JavaScript, and it's buggy and slow and unresponsive at times.

At the end of the day, it's still just Chrome.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.