[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>HFS+ has his dead sentence announced >meanwhile, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 1
File: xorg-logo.png (18 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
xorg-logo.png
18 KB, 300x240
>HFS+ has his dead sentence announced
>meanwhile, the rootkit formerly know as X.org/X11 will be alive by 2025
Thanks Open Sores. Thanks!
>>
>>55076601
The beauty of open source is you can program your own replacement for X11 right now.
The only person to blame is yourself.
gg no re
>>
>>55076601
X is actually good.

It is not a rootkit at all anymore and is fully modular. I like it a lot better from a design perspective than wayland.
>>
>>55076631
And the community will eat me alive for that.
>>
>>55076636

You're basing your thoughts based on articles. If you actually tried to read the code for X and its modules, you'd quickly go insane.
>>
>>55076643
>trying to shift blame from self
>>
>>55076643
>the internet going mad about something
Were you in a coma for 30 years?
>>
>>55076601
Make a better thing, then.
>>
>>55076636
So good that if two key developers die the same day, X.org is fucked.
>>55076672
>>55076675
>What's is Mir?
>>
>>55076643
>the community
Are you some kind of SJW?
>>
>>55076704
--> >>55076682
>>
>>55076716
You didn't answer the question.
>>
>>55076682
>>What's is Mir?
some bullshit stuff made by canonical that no one will use appart ubuntu, which is not a nice distribution.
>>
>>55076726
He is referring to the shiftest that Canonical caused when they decided to make their own display server instead of go with Wayland.
For one dude on internet probably they will ignore it. But if a company tries to push their own solution in their own environment, everyone goes mad.
>>
Dude, xorg-server is pretty fucking sweet. You act like it wont be upgraded.
>>
>>HFS+ has his dead sentence announced
what did he mean by this
>>
>>55077850
They announced APFS which fixes pretty much all of the issues with HFS+, but I am sure they are going to fuck up. They just released the beta yesterday, but they want to ship in 2017.
>>
>everyone triggered by the "age" or HFS
>does absolutely everything anyone asks of it without issue
>>
>>55077899
>does absolutely everything anyone asks of it without issue
But that's wrong. No one really gives a fuck how old it is but, because of how old it is, it's missing a ton of features that newer machines have.
>>
>>55077899
>without issue
The fucker can't protect you against data corruption, and happens almost all time.
>>
>>55077955
The only FS that can do that is ZFS.
>>
>>55077977
Any sane filesystem would do that in a manner of another.
HFS+ takes data corruption to kafkian levels.
And ZFS has lots of problems to be used in Macs, the most important, the big lose of performance at the 85% percent of drive usage.
>>
>>55078045
>Any sane filesystem would do that in a manner of another.
Uh no. No other ones can protect against silent data corruption.
>>
>>55078114
Yep, you're right.
>>
>>55076601
>his
>>
>>55079211
>he doesn't personify filesystems
>>
>>55078114
>No other ones
how many filesystems do you know?

fucking >muh zfs retard
>>
>>55079254
Quite a few, I don't even care about ZFS. Feel free to prove me wrong, though. Show me another file system that is capable of correcting silent data corruption.
>>
>>55079211
>being this autistic
>>
>>55079268
btrfs
HAMMER
>ReFS
>>
>>55079331
I stand corrected. I thought BTRFS just did detection.
>>
>>55076601
Today, GNU/linux is more of a joke than it was 10 years ago.
>try to install ubuntu
>installer crashes 5 billion times
>can't replace systemd with sysvinit without bricking the system
>every package depends unnecessarily on systemd anyway so you'd have brick even if you didn't have a brick

>try to install debian
>the official documentation on firmware-during-install is completely wrong
>the tarball is unusable
>have to manually fetch the firmware and roll it together myself
>have to manually mount the firmware-containing device during install because while it is detected during install the script is bugged and fucks up if it's not mounted manually
>install fails on "Failed to determine the codename for the release"
>this bug is at least as old as 2011 and still hasn't been fixed
I want the "debian is stable" meme to die.
>>
>>55079538
>I want the "debian is stable" meme to die.
No issues here, then again I'm using an install specifically made for my computer
>>
>>55079538
>can't replace the init system which isn't supposed to be replaced
if systemd is so bad why is every distro adopting it?
>>
>>55079806
Shoo shoo poopoottering.
>>
>>55079806
Laziness
>>
>>55079268
>use ZFS without ECC memory
>silently get data corruption
It's a bretty fucking retarded filesystem if you don't have the hardware to fix it.
>>
>>55080325
What is your retarded ass talking about?
>>
>>55076601
One of the biggest benefits of closed source is a single point of control. Apple can just decide to ditch their old file system for a better new one. Microsoft ditched their entire kernel for NT. They had the money and resources to just develop something entirely new and switch to it without having to convince an entire developer community.

Meanwhile, X will be around forever because Linux devs want compatibility over progress, and every huge change requires the effective consensus of everyone who might use it, otherwise nobody will decide to work on it and the project will stagnate and be abandoned.

If you have the money and can prevent fork-wars by keeping source developer-exclusive, you can just their money and developers at it and say "it doesn't matter if what you have "just works" for you, and it doesn't matter if other people in the community don't want this, this is better and you will work on it because we pay you to."

It's the same reason Linux still has the same monolithic structure it's had since it was invented, while Darwin and NT have already moved on to hybrid. If Linus decided tomorrow to make a change that big, the community would just fracture.
>>
>>55077899
HFS+ is the worst major filesystem out there by far. if you've got an hour to spare, listen to http://5by5.tv/hypercritical/56
>>
>>55080371
http://louwrentius.com/please-use-zfs-with-ecc-memory.html
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/
>>
>>55080516
What the fuck does this have to do with what I said?
>>
>>55080540
Did you bother reading those you dumb cunt? It's about data corruption.
>>
>>55079538
I've installed Debian probably 50+ times on 20+ computers and I've never once had the issues you're describing.

The process for getting my x200 working with intel wireless is you download the deb to a memory stick, plug it in when it asks and boom, it works.
>>
>>55080558
I know about ECC, what DIRECT RELEVANCE does it have to my post besides none at all?
>>
>>55080625
Meanwhile in real life...
>>
>>55080625
Honestly, I don't understand people who install linux without using an ethernet connection.
They're just asking for pain and aggravation.

On debian, to get the wifi working for intel cards, you need to add the non-free branch in /etc/apt/sources.list and install iwlwifi.
>>
>>55076601
How exactly is x11 a rootkit?
>>
>>55081519
Any non-isolated X program can keylog.
>>
>>55081565
so x11 itself isn't a rootkit, but programs can use it to be malicious
>>
>>55081258
You can install any other operating system without needing an internet connection at all, wired is no problem either. Why can't Linux operating systems do it?
>>
>>55081663
Blame companies for blatantly shitting on linux users.
Their stance is that they should be glad that they get linux compatible drivers at all.
>>
>>55081663
You can install debian without the ethernet connection, you just won't get wifi until you install the iwlwifi package or know in advance that you can provide the ucode file.
>>
>>55081599
x11 is the rootkit and programs can use this rootkit to obtain anything they want about the install.
>>
>>55080325
This happens with all file systems sempai.
>>
>>55081777
Only zfs.
>>
>>55081794
All those fancy filesystems require ECC, fuck outta here.
>>
>>55076636
>It is not a rootkit at all anymore and is fully modular. I like it a lot better from a design perspective than wayland.
This.

I was thinking /g/ had no brains, now my hope in humankind is restored.
>>
>>55081794
>"Only ZFS."
>Thread about HFS+

Sure.
>>
>>55081565
how is that different from Windows' or OS X's display server?
>>
>>55081823
>>55081820
Found the clinically retarded children.
>>
>>55081846
A program can't capture input by default in these systems and trying to capture input can be denied or warned about. The reverse is true for x11 by its design.
>>
>>55081860
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271
>>
>>55080455
>opensource cant have a single source
>>
>>55081928
>http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235679&p=26303271#p26303271
>There's nothing special about ZFS that requires/encourages the use of ECC RAM more so than any other filesystem
Unfortunately this isn't completely true. Filesystems that actively try to detect and fix data can damage it if you have a RAM error.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.