[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between a proxy and a VPN?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: mystery solved.png (348 KB, 902x869) Image search: [Google]
mystery solved.png
348 KB, 902x869
What's the difference between a proxy and a VPN?
>>
Proxy: look like you are somewhere else, but sometimes found out
VPN: Proxy + Encryption
>>
A proxy only secures your webbrowser or specific application

A VPN handles all your traffic
>>
Nothing really.

In practice, though, all VPN software creates network interfaces and adds routes to make your software use VPN connection without you having to configure anything additionally.

And with proxy, software needs to be specifically configured to use the proxy.

>>55071036
There are SSL proxies, so, no, encryption is not a difference.
>>
i'm only using hola from now on
>>
>>55071140
>Schill
>>
>>55071140
Why, do you live in Israel? If so, congratulations, it won't add your IP to the botnet.
>>
What VPN should I install?
>>
>>55071021
a VPN creates a encrypted tunnel between you and the host server.

a proxy server just operates as an intermediary computer between you and the internet.

like other anon mentioned there are proxies that use ssl but it's not the same as a VPN.

VPN routes all your traffic through the encrypted tunnel.
HTTP proxies: only HTTP traffic and not encrypted
socks proxy: all traffic not encrypted
HTTPS proxy: proxy with ssl encryption but the server acts as a "man in the middle"
website ==encrypted== proxy server decrypts data and re-encrypt with new ssl certificate ==== encrypted ==== your pc
>>
what is /g/'s opinion of tunnelbear? the free GB a month is pretty nice, especially since my twitter is basically a throwaway because only faggots and liberals use twitter.
>>
>>55074690
1gb isn't very much unless but I would be streaming netty
>>
>>55074690
Mullvad is a good VPN
>>
>>55071049
>>55074500
Yeah like these anons said, if you just want to secure your web browsing, a proxy is fine.
But let's say you want to call someone on Skype and not have them know where you're calling from (it's possible to check this btw), you need a vpn
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.