[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Ubuntu the most popular linux distro among professional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: ubuntu-logo14.png (10 KB, 540x243) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo14.png
10 KB, 540x243
Why is Ubuntu the most popular linux distro among professional developers using linux (and it seems like its vanilla unity ubuntu)?
Does have it more support for certain software that others don't?
Why is there a lot of hate on it here?
>>
>>55069796
>Does have it more support for certain software that others don't?

Generally this. Ubuntu, Linux, and Debian are the three largest distros (I'm fairly certain at least). If a developer extends support to Linux, it is typically for these distros and, in my experience, seem to work the best for.
>>
>>55069824
>linux is a distro
>ubuntu is it's own distro
you have no idea what you're talking about, you dumb shit kid
>>
>>55069824
>Ubuntu, Linux, and Debian are the three largest distros
Stop pretending to know what you don't.
>>
>>55069796
Ubuntu isn't real Linux.
>>
>>55069838
>>55069857
he probably meant linux mint
>>
>>55069866
That's even worse.
The only real distro he mentioned is debian as ubuntu and mint simply add their own packages on top of debian.
>>
File: medium.jpg (2 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
medium.jpg
2 KB, 64x64
>>55069824
>Linux is a separate distro, and it is one of the three largest.
>>
I can only speak for myself, in that I'd rather spend time as a """professional""" making money than tinkering with a Linux install. Ubuntu covers my needs with minimal work. Pretty sad that I care so much about making use of my time despite sitting here on 4chan to tell all of you.
>>
>>55069899
>That's even worse.
nah
>>
>>55069796
because it has enough in common with debian to be usable to write code on and you can set it up with minimal fuss -it's vanilla because developers spend their time writing code, not ricing their DE
>>
>>55069796
It "just werks", so you can spend more time getting shit done than getting shit working.
>>
is there a way to get rid of the amazon crap and use a different de?
>>
>>55070021
Of course. Open up a terminal and sudo apt-get install or purge as needed. It's all just Linux famalam.
>>
>>55070021
You can disable it in settings, yes
You can switch to amy other DE, yes
>>
>>55069838
>Ubuntu = Debian
Stop posting
>>
>>55070056
ubuntu is debian
debian is not ubuntu
>>
>>55070075
Ubuntu isn't Danish. It's a derivative of Debian. Not the same thing.
>>
>>55070088
>tfw autocorrected
>>
>>55069796
People hate it because it's what the majority of linux users use instead of riced out retarded Arch installs
>>
>>55070095
dumb phoneposter
>>
>>55070103
Arch is a good distro, fuck off normie, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55070146
If you have plenty of time on your hands.
>>
>>55069796
BECAUSE

CANONICAL

GAVE THE FUCK UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjeZJUvQI0
>>
>>55070103
Arch user here. Come at me
>>
>>55069796
because amazon and canonical
>>55069824
>Ubuntu, Linux, and Debian are the three largest distros (I'm fairly certain at least)
>Ubuntu, Linux, and Debian
>Linux
>>
>>55070187
>>55069857
>>55069920
He might mean his LFS project
>>
what are the main functional differences between debian and ubuntu?
>>
>>55070206
PPA
Package versions
Cinnamon
>>
Ubuntu is the best for developers and web developers. It never breaks and you can apt-get everything you need easily.
>>
>>55070240
Or they could use Debian and get the same thing without the spyware.
>>
>>55069796
Ubuntu has gui based software installation. People who are used to windows or osx are not gonna flock to the cli to install shit, they want one click solutions.
>>
>>55070257
Debian is irrelevant unless you want cinnamon
>>
>>55070270
Or unless you don't want all of your searches sent to daddy Bezos.
>>
>>55070240
>developers and web developers
no.
all you need are the developer packages and tools you use to develop. heck i know a guy who develops on fucking slackware just because hes so used to it and doesnt like new things
>>
>>55070280
Well, Ubuntu derivatives never had this feature.
>>
File: seriousduck.gif (2 MB, 150x113) Image search: [Google]
seriousduck.gif
2 MB, 150x113
Ubuntu is shit. I hate it.

Manjaro Linux is much better.
>>
>>55070357
CRUX = DEBIAN
>Cux

ARCH = UBUNTU

MANJARO = MINT
>>
>>55070240
Nigga please, it crashed each time I booted it, after a while I just swapped to arch and it hasn't been broken yet
>>
>>55069796
it just werks.

sorta sure, you're always bound to find at least a how to install blurb for ubuntu. not to say you can't install shit in other distros of course.

and the hate is because of the misguided amazon integration canonical defaulted to on in the unity desktop. there is also the coziness they have with microsoft (see bash on ubuntu on windows) which i think would have happened with or without canonical regardless.

also there is a dose of distro elitism, which is pure cancer.
>>
Ubuntu is the kind of distribution that pisses me off. By default it is bloated, and their unity/compiz is shit and buggy. I installed this shit twice on different computers, and I often had it crash and a mesasge "saying something went wrong, would you like to send a report to canonical ?"
There's too many softwares that comes by default on the system even if you don't want them, you can't choose during the install process
It lacks of customization
They are taking the microsoft path doing bloated stuff like snappy
Instead of doing like every distribution and using wayland (contributing to it, and using it for their stuff) they created their own display server which is stupid. Even the distributions based on ubuntu will not use this shit.
>>
Used to use Debian for all my junk then switched to Ubuntu.

I always use the minimal installation and build to what i need so I have no qualms about using it. Quite like it as their is usually more up to date software and a bit earlier adoption on interesting things.

Then at the end of the day it's not too different from Debian anyhow.
>>
>>55073097
*There fuck
>>
>>55070178
>this guy trying to install flash from the website
wow amazing , he either came from fedora or windows
>>
>>55070216
What's up with cinnamon?
>>
>>55069796
Ubuntu is the lowest friction Linux on most hardware. It has a large community so finding solutions to issues are easier. Hardware support is generally very good as well so if you have an off the shelf laptop or desktop from a big OEM like Dell or Lenovo then shit is most likely gonna work just fine.

Ubuntu gives you a good Linux environment with no more hassle than Windows or OS X so it is win-win.

You have to remember most devs don't want to rice the fuck out of their work system. They want something stable and consistent that allows them to do their work and go home.
>>
is there any difference between ubuntu minimal and debian with no GUI?
>>
>>55073885
Yes.
Different repos. Snappy package manager. Mir display server.
>>
>>55069824
>Linux is a distro
Kill yourself.
>>
Because professionals just want to get shit done and not fight a stupid and broken configuration

Same reason people use other mainstream stuff even though its not always technically the best

Ubuntu may not be perfect but its the best we have by FAR
>>
File: 1454897592149.png (293 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1454897592149.png
293 KB, 633x758
>tfw developers hate gentoo and freedumbs
>>
>>55073885
>>55074013
Yup Debian doesn't use the huge launchpad repository which is one of the best parts about Ubuntu. I tried to add it to Debian using the trusty lauchpad source to install the latest version of MPV from a maintainer but I got an error.
>>
>>55069899
No, releasing changes in default configuration/packages counts as a new distro

Ubuntu and Mint are separate distros
>>
it lets you just get on with your work instead of fucking around
>>
>>55075748
gentoo isnt free
>>
>>55070257
no spyware on my ubuntu server
>>
It's common among devs but I wouldn't say the most popular. I see a lot of people use Debian, OpenSUSE and a ton of other distros. From my experience sysadmins and dev use Gentoo
>Source based
>"Just werks"
>Great support
>Great community
>Mature

To each their own. It mostly comes down to personal or collective preference.
>>
>>55069796
Absolutely. Only arch and gentoo can compare. Arch outdoes ubuntu, gentoo has more niche programs but is sometimes missing a couple of packages available for ubuntu.

The main reason though is simply that it's a unix-like that doesn't require buying a mac and it's advertised as just werking (even though it doesn't).
>>
>>55070357
Post that comparison between arch and ubuntu where nobody could refute that arch was superior nowadays
>>
>>55075916
>From my experience sysadmins and dev use Gentoo
What experience? Shitposts on 4chan? Sysadmins use redhat-based and debian-based distros
>>
>>55074013
Those two things are still far from ready pham.
>>
>>55076810
Every sysadmin I know either uses Gentoo or Debian. I've only seen Red Hat a few times and CentOS on servers. You're the one shit posting.
>>
>>55076810
Ubuntu is a debian-based distro.
>>
>>55069796
>Why is Ubuntu the most popular linux distro among professional developers using linux (and it seems like its vanilla unity ubuntu)?
Most probably the easy installation and the availability of software without the ahssle.
Much of third party software and proprietary codecs are easily available. So yes.
>Why is there a lot of hate on it here?
Is not only for distro wars, some people do have better performance on more advanced systems like Gentoo or Arch,
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.