[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a GPU launch thats been as big of a flop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
Has there ever been a GPU launch thats been as big of a flop as Pascal?

lets reiterate:

- No async compute
- Die shrunk maxwell for 800 USD
- Paper launch, cards backordered well into august even though less than 1000 people ordered the first wave of cards
- Cards exploding due to faulty voltage regulation
- thermal throttling
- beat by an OC'd 980ti and Titan X
- Cards being removed from Amazon due to breaking their policy on pyrotechnic devices

Honestly I can't understand why ANYONE would buy an nvidia card in 2016 unless they enjoy getting scammed.
>>
Fuck off poorfag
>>
>>55068752
Pascal is top of every performance chart.

Now fuck off you degenerate baiting piece of shit.

0/10 made me reply. Saged.
>>
File: XdU0H0Y.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1135) Image search: [Google]
XdU0H0Y.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1135
>Nvidia
>can't even win at the high end

Kek.
>>
>>55068752
FX5800
No proper DX9
Housefire for $500
Paper launch again
Cards exploding due to lack of thermal throttling
Dust Buster (TM) cooler
Beat by a non-OC'd AMD for cheaper
Cards being removed from stores due to selling like shit
>>
>>55068752
the only thing that made maxwell sell so well was the unusual cheap 970 which turned out to be cheap for a reason.
unless something big happens AMDs 480 will win some of that marketshare back.

>>55068780
>SLI
>relevant
pick one.
>>
>>55068881
>SLI
>relevant

Well technically AMD uses Crossfire which is generally received as much better scaling and support compared to Nvidia's SLI for whatever reason.
>>
>>55068907
>CF
>better support compared to Nvidia's SLI

Maybe in AMD shill fantasy land, Fallout 4 took almost half a year to get fixed.
>>
>>55068907
Also CF/SLi is better for VR which the industry is gearing up for. Thats why AMD said this card/cards is perfect for VR.
>>
>>55068970
All you need for VR is 90 frames per second with low frametimes which you can already do with current GPUs, all that talk about Dual GPUs being better for VR etcetera is just exaggerated marketing to some extent, for that to be truly feasible you need DX12 and the game engine must support MDA mode, MDA Mode requires the developer to more carefully manage all of the operations that are needed for the GPUs to communicate with each other, there's only one game that supports MDA and that is Ashes of Singularity which relies solely on being "that" DX12 game.

Unless the developer implements MDA you're stuck with LDA Implicit/Explicit mode(alternating frames) if a developer doesn't supports LDA mode then the likely that it will support MDA is near to zero.

Just so you get an idea on the complexity of MDA. To enable LDA mode all you have to do is design your game engine to never reuse an old frame for post processing or lighting et cetera, meaning as long as the game engine doesn't relies on a previous frame you can enable SLI/CF with one push setting, remember LDA mirrors memory and alternates frames on each GPU.
If a developer can't even get that to work MDA is virtually out of reach for them as MDA Mode each GPU’s memory is allocated independently of the other GPU: each GPU cannot directly access the other’s memory, they have to tell the game engine which task to do in each card and if the developer decide to suppor mix vendor or mix model across same vendor but different generation they have to take in consideration memory speed, size and raw power and weakness of the GPU architecture.

Now on top of that add all the work for making a VR game.
>>
I want to see the exploding pascal
>>
File: 1465865620902.jpg (41 KB, 500x568) Image search: [Google]
1465865620902.jpg
41 KB, 500x568
>>55069149
Nice copy paste from a site talking about Multi GPU support in VR. That how I know you really don't know much about what you're saying. Al so I said " CF/SLi is better for VR" I never said you can't do it with one. It's better. Thank for the wall of text tho.
>>
File: 1465754736687.jpg (154 KB, 778x544) Image search: [Google]
1465754736687.jpg
154 KB, 778x544
>>55069271
>>
File: troll line.jpg (50 KB, 508x500) Image search: [Google]
troll line.jpg
50 KB, 508x500
>>
the GTX 480 was probably the biggest flop in modern times
>>
File: 1460512680972.png (27 KB, 181x220) Image search: [Google]
1460512680972.png
27 KB, 181x220
>>55070878
Tell me, what is the future like?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.