[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming with ADHD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
I've always been absolutely infatuated with programming and software development, but I'm massively held back by ADHD, my mind wanders as soon as I attempt to sit down and learn a language.

I understand the core concepts of programming and have a pretty strong understanding of the theory behind it (things like the layers of abstraction between code to execution etc). But where I struggle is the practical, I seem to work on the micro scale, focusing on finicky details while struggling to overview the whole method, function, class, program.

I've dedicated a significant amount of time to gain the knowledge I have and I don't want to give up, anyone else going/ gone through this who can spare some tips/ resources?
>>
>>55068190
You can't focus on programming because on a subconscious level you know that it's a waste of time that won't benefit you in any way.
>>
File: 1465870751857.webm (98 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1465870751857.webm
98 KB, 800x600
>>55068190
I have autism too. All I do is post static webms all day long on /g/. It's that bad.
>>
>>55068190
OP, are you me? I have this exact same problem.
>>
You just have to stop being a pussy, friend.
>>
>>55068190
you get treated for ADHD
>>
I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age. Part of ADHD is not just lack of focus, but hyperfocus on things you're interested in. I hate to break it to you, but if programming doesn't make you more focused to the point of damaging the rest of your life, you're probably not interested with it, just interested with the idea of it.
Or you were wrongly diagnosed, which is just as likely.
>>
>>55068190
I have the opposite problem, wanna trade?
>>
File: Ckt8Mc5WsAA10g5[1].jpg (40 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
Ckt8Mc5WsAA10g5[1].jpg
40 KB, 604x453
>>55068190
Here's how I did it.
I copied a C++ tutorial website to my harddrive.
I cancelled my internet.
And every day I worked on a new chapter.

When you have nothing else to do, it really helps you focus a little bit more. You may have to read the chapter over and over to get it, but it will happen eventually.
>>
>>55068329
Go for K&R if you're going to do that.
>>
>>55068190
diagnosed with ADHD, have no issue staying in 5% at a pretty good cs university. you need to discipline yourself and stop being such a child
>>
>>55068329
This. I took a hard look at what distracted me, I took it away until programming was all I could do for a while.

You gotta make it more fun for yourself, as well. Disciplining and rewarding yourself is crucial but easily forgotten and I think this can be applied to other things you are trying to accomplish.
>>
>>55068312
This.

Im ADD and i get hyper focused on things i like. Everything and everyone else might as well not even exist.
>>
>>55068412
also university is a pretty bad term of comparation because it's pretty shit. have no issues learning stuff for myself and working hours on projects.

I take breaks sure and know when I can't do anymore, but you're using ADHD as an excuse not to work. back to my previous point, grow up
>>
>>55068190

1. get ubuntu, less distractions across the board
2. get some pills (adderall)
>>
File: 1464094163628.jpg (88 KB, 650x888) Image search: [Google]
1464094163628.jpg
88 KB, 650x888
>>55068303
I am, but the meds aren't doing much so far

>>55068312
The thing is, I am legitimately interested, the things that distract me are still programming related, just not beneficial to what I'm trying to achieve, I'll get stuck looking at the best way to implement something, meanwhile never actually doing it... Etc

>>55068323
I'd love too..

>>55068329
This is definitely what I'd like to do, do you have any tutorial recommendations? I'd really like something that's not even language specific, I struggle a lot more with things like structuring programs, OOP concepts etc.

>>55068412
I want to go to uni next year, and you're right I need to learn far better discipline, I'm trying to sort this out now, before I start.

>>55068479
Yeeaaaa, windows is probs better tobehonest, I'm on Arch ATM and as much as I love it, its the biggest distraction in my life..

I'm on methylphenidate ATM, addarall isn't prescribed here
>>
>>55068582
>This is definitely what I'd like to do, do you have any tutorial recommendations? I'd really like something that's not even language specific, I struggle a lot more with things like structuring programs, OOP concepts etc.

I can only recommend what I have used which is
www.learncpp.com (super organized and thorough)

Here's a link to a page all about learning different programming languages though

http://programming-motherfucker.com/become.html
>>
>>55068582
I dont take any meds. I was on the ritalin back when i was a schoolboy. That was about 20 years go...
>>
>>55068582
>I am, but the meds aren't doing much so far
Then either you don't have adhd and youre undisciplined or you do have adhd and you're undisciplined.

Meds arn't going to magically make you dedicated enough to do what you need to, you still have to learn how to do that on your own. Also, more than anything you truly have to want it
>>
>>55068622
>www.learncpp.com (super organized and thorough)

pretty good thanks
>>
File: IMG_20160614_165603.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_165603.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>55068622
Thankyou! C++ is my focus but I really want to build up a general knowledge, helps me understand the specifics better

>>55069127
I've only just started, just need a bigger dose I think. But you're right, I need to relearn how to focus and stay on task.

I got some books out from the library, did I fuck up?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.