[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I usually lurk on /v/ or /tg/ but you guys know hardware better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: current specs.png (109 KB, 795x498) Image search: [Google]
current specs.png
109 KB, 795x498
I usually lurk on /v/ or /tg/ but you guys know hardware better then the rest of the boards.

I'm planning to do a near-complete pc upgrade soon, and I've got a list of parts here that i'm planning to buy soon and I was wondering your guy's opinion of the list and any recommendations you guys have. Pic is what I'm going from (case for the old PC is a Cosmos 1) I'm planning to keep my old graphics card as a dedicated physics card and having almost the entire rig being water cooled, all in all it's gonna cost me $4500 CAN

Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower, Black

EVGA X99 Classified w/ DDR4 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, 4-Way CrossFireX / SLI

Cooler Master Nepton 240M Liquid CPU Cooler

Kingston HyperX Fury Series 64GB PC4-17000 Quad Channel DDR4 Kit (8x 8GB) Black

G.SKILL Turbulence II Memory Cooling Fan

Intel Coreā„¢ i7-5820K Processor, 3.3GHz w/ 15MB Cache

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SuperClocked ACX 2.0 Gaming 4GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort x2

Cooler Master JetFlo 120 Case Fan w/ White LED x6

Asus BC-12B1ST 12x Blu-ray Combo Drive, SATA, OEM

Intel SSD 535 Series SATA III Solid State Drive, 360GB x2

Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, SATA III w/ 128MB Cache

Cooler Master V Series V1200 Platinum 1200W Modular Power Supply
>>
>>55067205
If you lurk /v/ you cannot lurk /g/. Your kind is stupid beyond help, and just by taking a look at your "build" I can see that you're a total clueless retard or underage
Start by reading the sticky and lurk more
>>
>>55067388
>no advice whatsoever
>just rage and points at a sticky that says nothing about my question

wow /v/ was right, you guys are just like them
>>
>>55067205
Based on the specs I can kind of tell what your aiming for.

DDR4 isn't worth the extra money imo.

An i7 is probably above your needs (I'd do a 4670k/90k instead and you won't "need ddr4 because intel said so")

Why a gtx 970? If your not doing anything that intensive then aim for a 750ti or go higher than a 970
>>
>>55067544
thanks for some input.

The DDR4 is gonna be worth it since i'm getting the sticks and MB for almost 50% of what they're actually worth (cards and MB are gonna cost me a combined $600)

the 970's and i7 are more for future proofing then anything else (the current comp I've got has been going 6-ish years strong)
>>
>>55067544
>>55067595
also the 970's are on sale for $320 each where I shop at so thats also a plus
>>
File: crying-baby-wallpaper[1].jpg (137 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
crying-baby-wallpaper[1].jpg
137 KB, 1600x1200
>>55067489
>waaah please spoonfeed me
We don't help retards like you who didn't do their research. You're expected to do your homework and only then post specific questions and show knowledge about what you're talking about.

Oh and by the way, you must be some special kind of retard to get not only one, but two gimped 3.5 GB cards.
>>
>>55067648
I could spend hours doing research and comparisons to products yes, or I could spend 15 minutes asking people that have already done it for a quick yay/nay/this instead like >>55067544 gave. you don't have to be a raging fuckwad of an asshat that would make jersy look saintly about it

HOWEVER, that last bit highlights something, and is actual advice (although hamfisted through yer ass). How are the 970's gimped? From some of the stuff I saw off of a quick google they're fairly decent. Specially with the price I'm getting them for ($640 for both)

Is it a baseline problem that can't be clocked out or is it something else?
>>
File: 1456073544147.gif (1004 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1456073544147.gif
1004 KB, 300x169
>>55067720
Have you been living under a rock? The 970 has a defect that the last 0.5GB are much slower than the rest and as you know(?) when you SLI the VRAM is not x2 so you essentially you get gimped 3.5+0.5 as "future-proof" which is idiotic
>>
>>55067720
go for a 1080 and drop the 970s, go for a 6700k and a 1tb ssd instead, planning on raiding the ssds? Probably not.
Also; where is the rest of your watercooling stuff? blocks? tubing? All you listed is a AIO liquid cooler for your CPU, step up yourgame if you brag about it.
>>
>>55067873
for the blocks and tubing on the water cooling I honestly can't give you much of anything on that. I've got a friend who's gonna build it all from scratch for me. All i know is that the tubing walls are gonna be 3.5 mm thick and the tubing itself will be 14mm thick
>>
>>55067595
If your getting a price break on some of your larger pieces like cpu and mobo then I'd go for it.

As far as future proofing with a 970 I'd aim a little higher. If your trying to budget responsibly I'd assume that a 970 would fit most needs for another 3 years-ish without a good amount of consideration on buying a new card. Just remember that in that much time the card you could have gotten now to suit your needs (like a 750ti going for 1/3rd the cost of a 970) will be better on price as compared to spending a lump to reach beyond what you need in terms of future proofing.

That 970 could be all you would need in a few years and be much cheaper than it is now.
>>
>>55067797
Have 2 970's in SLI

Can confirm it's exactly like the GIF. It's actually pretty hilarious how accurate it is.

Luckily though in most games the first two hours are super smooth, but then the leaks build up.
>>
>>55067205
This should be enough for you if you don't game.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.