[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, there exist CS grads who can't do FizzBuzz or is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
So, there exist CS grads who can't do FizzBuzz or is it just a /g/ meme?
>>
meme that /g/ wants to believe to boost their ego
>>
>>55064829
Seems like a meme to me. Some CS grads are mediocre programmers, I won't deny it, but the people who really sucked at programming get weeded out by 2nd year at the latest.
>>
why would you need to know Fizzbuzz exactly?
>>
>>55064877
Except for women.
>>
>>55065196
I will never use this in real life! Why do I have to learn this?
>>
>>55065213
Not an argument. Answer the question.
>>
>>55065196
It proves you understand basic algorithms.
>>
>>55065213
That's the point. You shouldn't have to learn anything to do it since you only need absolutely basic concepts to implement it. If you have to "learn FizzBuzz", you can't program worth a shit.
>>
>>55065216
Why would I need to answer your question, exactly?
>>
>>55065208
lel. Girls are actually the first to leave. The few left after the first year are the good ones.
>>
>>55065234
You don't, but I'd rather you didn't just shitpost.
>>
>>55065235
The few left after the first year are the Chinese ones.
>>
>>55065223
>proves
How
>>
>>55065256
He should have said "It proves you can design a basic algorithm."
>>
>>55065268
He should have just kept his mouth shut.
>>
>>55064829
Fizzbuzz is a piss-easy test which you can solve in a few minutes even if you've never heard of it before.
Your inability to solve it means you cannot problem solve worth a damn.
And as a bonus, it also filters out retards who claim to be programmers but dont even know what a for loop is.
>>
i could do fizzbuzz in high school comp sci ap. it's a meme like gentoo.
>>
https://css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/

From the comments:
>I mean – I would be suspicious of someone who could solve fizzbuzz off the cuff. They are likely to:
>1. have too much time on their hands
>2. had too many interviews asking that question
>3. be unsufferably arrogant
>4. or all of the above.
>>
>>55065479
This guy was a hiring manager, btw.
>>
>>55064829
This was one of the first programs we had to make in intro CS... meme
>>
>>55065246
>good
>Chinese
What's the difference?
>>
>>55064829
They can do it, sometimes just not in C/C++.
>>
>>55065196
You don't NEED to, but if you can't even design a stupid FizzBuzz by yourself then you don't have a future as a programmer.
>>
>>55065838
The FizzBuzz question should always be asked to a programming language that the applicant's resumé claims at least moderate experience with.
>>
>>55065479
Anyone who can else ifs with modulo could do this in their sleep
>if (number % 15)
>>out fizzbuzz
>else if (number % 3)
>>out fizz
>else if (number % 5)
>>out buzz
>else
>>out number
>>
I have a B.S. in CompSci and I can't do FizzBuzz. Not even joking. I literally bullshitted my way through the entire degree. It helped that my college's CompSci department is not prestigious. I'm just really good at sucking up to teachers, and talking out of my ass.

>tfw gonna be a pilot now
Things turned out better than expected.
>>
>>55066765

you're the best troll i've ever encountered and know so much. i'd love to meet you irl. <3
>>
>>55064877
What makes a prigrammer bad?
If it just lazyness?
Dislike for programming?
Are there people that are actually unable to write code?
>>
>>55065235
the girls who stayed are usually insane or religious I find
>>
>>55067419
>insane
>religious
What's the difference?
>>
>>55065838
>>55064829

I bet that they just can't do it without Stack Overflow when they are put on the spot.
>>
>>55064829
haskell fags making it more complicated, why
just
fizzbuzz n | n % 15 = "Fizzbuzz"
| n % 5 = "Buzz"
| n % 3 = "Fizz"
| otherwise = show n
where % = mod
>>
>>55068623
It was a shitty picture I found using image search and I thought the same

But at least it wasn't Java
>>
<code>
for( $i = 0; $i < 25; $i++ )
echo $n % 15 == 0 ? "Fizzbuzz" : $n % 5 == 0 ? "Buzz" : $n % 3 == 0 ? "Fizz" : $n;
echo '<br>';
</code>
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>55067542
>>
>>55065216
I want you to create a spread sheet that every other line rotates between light grey and a white background. Every 10 lines being a darker grey background,

And seeing how ytou don't see a need for a fizzbuzz solution. Lets see what you come up with.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.