[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /g/, so I'm considering to install a Linux, but not sure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: linux-tux-console1.jpg (80 KB, 641x310) Image search: [Google]
linux-tux-console1.jpg
80 KB, 641x310
Ok /g/, so I'm considering to install a Linux, but not sure which. Which distro is good to install for gaming and ricing?
>>
>>55061087
The best Linux is Linux-libre
>>
>linux
>it's fucking GNU/Linux you twat respect Stallman you dumb nigger
>>
>>55061087
they're all basically the same
>>
>>55061087
go for debian based something
>>
>gaming

Look linux does have games but if you install linux for gaming you're retarded
>>
File: photo.jpg (9 KB, 253x253) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
9 KB, 253x253
>gaming
>on Linux
>>
>>55061087
There will be a lot of trolls, but ignore most. The truth is: find a linux distro that has a familiar desktop and is easy to install. Most of your time shouldn't be spent fixing your desktop. Big names like Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat, and CentOS come to mind.

Choose the more exotic or hobbiest distros after you're more familiar (e.g. Arch, Gentoo, etc). They're great and not that difficult, but similarly to how lifting weights isn't hard no one would recommend a first time visitor to a gym to bench press 200 lbs.
>>
>>55061126
Don't listen to this autist; non of your drivers will work.

Get Debian
>>
This is the kind of retard who later comes back complaining how Linux sucks and everything breaks down all the time
>>
>>55061268
Debian has a deblobbed kernel too, dipshit.
>>
>>55061231
Install linux for a sane OS. I use kvm/vfio passthrough for gaming without loss. Sorry I like my Linux and can use google.
>>
>>55061087
Kubuntu
>>
>>55061379
A lot of hassle. I just dualboot
>>
>>55061372
Why didn't you just tell to install Debian instead of being pedantic?
>>
Don't.
>>
Install lakka
>>
>>55061478
>2016
>dualboot
>>
FIrst, don't think you can automagically know everything GNU/Linux. There are a ton of options for a reason. Now to the business.

You should go for an Ubuntu derived. This includes Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Mint, etc. These are all fine for starting. You will have support for Steam, the ported gaymes, and you find it easy from the installation.

For what it doesn't work, run a virtual machine. But become familiar with WINE, the program that makes a lot of winblows software run on your platform.

When you become familiar enough with wine and wanna thinker with KVM, use VirtIO and VFIO. In short, you can run a windows virtual machine but with increased performance. Learn about pci passthrough and all that shit.

Around this time you will be one of those idiots who think he knows better than the rest and shitpost nonstop about your favorite distro.
>>
I would recommend Arch GNU/Linux if you weren't an absolute beginner but since it's the case you should try out Fedora or maybe Debian, but I read that OpenSuse was okay so check it out.
>>
File: steamlinux.png (562 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
steamlinux.png
562 KB, 1024x768
>>55061233
u mad bro?
>>
>>55061741
>Fedora
>OpenSuse
Broken shit.
>>
>>55061759
Nice u got the whole collection
>>
>>55061803
kek
at least I paid jack for those
>>
>>55061790
>OpenSuse
>Broken shit

Idk kde version seems very polished and reliable
>>
Distro doesn't matter to new people.
Just pick something which has support for your hardware and has the software you need in the repositories.
Ubuntu is the most likely to fit that.
As for ricing, you probably think of visual stuff, so pick a DE you think looks good and expand on that.
The DE also affects a lot of things, so you might want to test a few out to find what fits you.
>>
>>55061932
>KDE
>polished
>reliable
Are we living in the same universe?
>>
>>55061971
I had no problems while I used it on my laptop besides Yast is very good too
>just works on my machine
>>
>>55061741
>Fedora
Fedora from what I understand is more difficult to get drivers for graphics on to so maybe stick to ubuntu based distros
>>
>>55062052
Yeah I agree about YaST, but Plasma is fucking disgusting on my machine. I miss KDE4.

How is Leap these days? Last time I tried OpenSUSE it was Tumbleweed and panicked every other minute.
>>
>>55062052
Yast alone is hell.
>>55062071
This.

Lets get pass our arrogance, newbies need a distro that works for them from day 1. That usually means *buntu.
>>
>>55061790

Well fedora is okay for a beginner, the install process is attractive, it's maybe not the lightest distro because of gnome but there are versions using XFCE4, about debian It's maybe better but I have not tried it for a long time. Maybe there are arch forks with install scripts that could do the trick for the OP, such as manjaro, I don't know if it's any good.
>>
I wouldn't recommend ubuntu because from what I've read it breaks every major update and it's bloated + botnet
>>
>>55061759
steam doesn't work on latest ubuntu
>>55061803
kek
>>
>>55062220
>it breaks every major update
At the contrary, is pretty stable.
>it's bloated
For an experienced guy, maybe. Many experienced dudes strangely went for Ubuntu though.
>botnet
Use to come with amazon searches enabled by default, no longer is.

>>55062308
>steam doesn't work on latest ubuntu
Give them a few weeks, they always have the latest. Or even look at the official steam page, they put a lot of effort to support ubuntu.
>>
Antergos. Basically Arch without all the pseudo-hacker shit. It just werks.
>>
Arch or Debian
Zsh
Urxvt
i3
>>
>>55062118
>How is Leap these days? Last time I tried OpenSUSE it was Tumbleweed and panicked every other minute.

I recall having no problems with it
>>
>>55061759
>0 friends
That's the way it's meant to be
>>
>>55062390
>Zsh
Why zsh? I've been hoping to try other shell, I'm just too lazy to configure the $PS1. What does zsh have that bash doesn't?
>>
File: IT'S_A_TRAP.jpg (66 KB, 1040x798) Image search: [Google]
IT'S_A_TRAP.jpg
66 KB, 1040x798
Stop suggesting Arch, Debian or Fedora for gaymers and first timers!

For fucks sake.
>>
>>55062308
I'm on manjaro
I tried using it on wine first and didn't work
The official repo version had some steamui.so error shit but I found out I had some lib32 missing and reinstalled the mesa driver package and it started to work
>>
>>55062501
>I've been hoping to try other shell
To what possible end?

Also, the correct answer is Ubuntu or some Ubuntu derivative if it's your first time; they have the best spoonfeeding and a solid/easy-to-use package manager

I say some derivative because I personally don't like Unity
>>
>>55062477
Can u be my friend? ;_;
>>
>>55062501
More configuration, oh-my-zsh is cool for git, better tab completion
Arch is a fine beginner distro. Working through the install process alone will teach you a lot
>>
Mint is still considered less secure then any buntu?
>>
>>55062685
yes
>>
>>55062750
thanks!
>>
>>55062660
Lies.
There is bash-it, oh-my-git, or even Liquid Prompt for Bash if you want something like zsh's oh-my-bloat.

Even the tab completition is boring. Maybe for some hipster.
>>
>>55062813
Zsh auto-corrects typos, not sure if bash can have that added in
>>
>>55061087
Arch Linux
>>
File: 1462021027939.png (297 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1462021027939.png
297 KB, 640x640
>>55061971
> Idk kde version seems very polished and reliable
> openSuse
> KDE 5
> very polished and reliable
>>
>>55061759
what is q3-urt?
>>
>Fedora Games Spin to get a taste of the native Linux gaming selection (there are more repos online and via Steam) without having to install anything

>Ubuntu is the comfiest Linux, PPAs and large repositories make installing almost everything easy, and as a distro it has the best Steam support.

I like Ubuntu Unity and Fedora Gnome but if you want to rice, you may like Xfce or Mate better. Those desktops are more lightweight and rice-able.
>>
>>55063291
urban terror 2
>>
>>55063370
oh..I remember that mod, didn't play it that much tho.
>>
>>55062594
I-I'd really like to but I'm too lazy at maintaining friendships other than my 3 close friends
>>
>>55061268

>don't listen to this autist
>recomend debian

Never change /g/, never change.
>>
>>55062685
>>55062750
>>55062772
Mint is fine. Try the new Mint 18:Mate Beta. I'm on it now and it runs fantastically. Uses updated 4.4 LTS kernel. So you're good. People only say its less secure because the website got hacked.
>>
>>55061087
Steam OS if you want a gaymen machine
Ubuntu when you grow up
>>
File: s_1.gif (48 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
s_1.gif
48 KB, 300x100
>>55061087
Gentoo musl + Wayland + weston
>>
>>55061087

Debian based.
So, debian, mint, and Ubuntu are the most popular of this type.

I'd go with Debian.
>>
>>55065597
>anything but unity for the love of god.
>>
Check out elementary OS
>>
>>55065654
this. noob friendly and fucking works. 16.04 is pretty broken at the moment. Need that point release.
>>
>>55065597
newfag
>>
>>55061087
Use Ubuntu, it's easy to use and officially supported in steam.
>>
Debian with emacs as your WM
>>
>>55061379
>without loss
>install xubuntu
>"you know what, I guess my haswell processor supports it and I technically have two gpus, so I might as well try it"
>vfio
>blacklist radeon
>use qemu with the right settings
>oh shit it runs
>mouse stutters like shit
>animations stutter like shit
>let's try unigine heaven on it
>random sudden drops to 10fps
>everytime VM is booted it takes a whole minute to get into the desktop
>realize that I'm stuck with intel graphics 4600 for my main OS

Yeah fuck that. Dual boot is the bees knees
>>
>>55065704
Listen dude: I'm almost 49 years old. I've been using computers since the original Apple 1 was in stores. In high school I used a multi-user BASIC system running on a Data General Nova minicomputer connected to 3 schools via 300bps modems over leased phone lines. The first computer I built was based on a 1976 Popular Electronics article and used an old Teletype ASR-33 as a terminal. The next three computers were S-100 bus systems running CP/M v2.2. Depending on your age, I may have been writing code in C under CP/M before you were even *born*. I've owned no-name Taiwaneese knock-off XT clone motherboard-based systems I built on the cheap, with monochrome (yes, the ugly-ass green-screen) graphics. I remember the original Mac looking like someone's idea of a joke to me. I thought Windows v2.x was the most useless thing on the planet. I actually ran IBM's OS/2 for a couple *years* and thought it was awesome. The only reason I changed from Win95 was because the USB support was virtually non-existent. The only reason I changed from Win98SE to Win2k was it wasn't stable on a CPU running over ~800MHz. I had an entire WinNT4 domain, complete with PDC, running in my apartment, while I was getting an MCSE.

You still want to call me "newfag", friend?
>>
>>55065797
Why are you posting on a consumerism forum for teenagers at your age?
>>
I recommend ubuntu, solely because performance on it is fairly better than other heavy DEs, you can notice by playing anything heavy. I'm talking out of my ass here but I think it disables compositing while playing something on fullscreen which helps? I'm not sure, but definitely since Unity uses compiz and you can use compiz on anything else, but it's the only DE that doesn't shit the bed with both compiz and a game running on it, there must be some magic. Even MATE with compiz kills it.
>>
>>55061759
CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
File: 1465763004943.gif (68 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1465763004943.gif
68 KB, 200x200
don't if you know what's good for you and for the sake of your own computer. you'll eventually either crawl back windows or eventually want to go and switch back to windows
>>
>>55061644
>2016
>no dualboot
>>
>>55065827
um, people like him are the reason your faggot ass has a forum to post on.
>>
>>55065884
>2016
>Not having at least 3 HDs
>Two 512GB SSDs for both OSs
>One 2-4TB HD for shared hoarding.
>fuckyeah.jpg
>>
>>55061087
install gentoo
>>
File: 1310473728363.jpg (25 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1310473728363.jpg
25 KB, 350x350
>>55061087
Too much time on your hands: Gentoo
Boring office stuff and spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian, Fedora
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch
>>
>>55061741
>opensuse

I just moved my laptop from debian 8 to opensuse leap and overall its an improvement I like it. Cant recommend it to a linux newbie though desu.

>dosent deal with .rpm files by default, must use "zypper in somefile.rpm" in the terminal
>KDE wallet
>KDE5 still slightly buggy, much better than months ago but its fond of crashing when right clicking the menu for me
>fucking KDE wallet
>dosent play .mp3s or anything by default, takes some googling and messing about, nothing too tough but again not for a newbie
>FUCKING KDE WALLET

OP try linux mint. To be fair to opensuse though all the issues are due to legalities and KDE5 not being entirely finished yet, neither of which they have any control over.

mp3 patent expires next year though right lads?
>>
What would /g/ recommend for someone who doesn't game at all, wants (easy) customization, and does not program but is willing to learn?
>>
>>55066241
mint
>>
>>55061126
>having to use a fork just to call GNU an "full OS"
>inb4 HURD(le)
>>
SteamOS. Use the Stephenson's Rocket installer.
>>
>>55066241
A Mac
>>
>>55066295
I'm not gay.
>>
>>55061087
Linux is for industry and academia, if you want to game either do a dual boot with windows, or just keep windows. My 2 cents.
>>
>>55065827
It's a pasta, newfag
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.