[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Desktop OS ranking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: desktop-os.png (29 KB, 743x868) Image search: [Google]
desktop-os.png
29 KB, 743x868
How do you rate modern desktop Operating Systems?
>>
move stock windows 7 up to noice tier

also add windows 8 to shit tier because either keep 7 or go all the way to 10 dont do anything fucking halfway
>>
>>55055920
>rainmeter
>windows 7
w7 is the worst OS MS made in past decade. Both Vista and 8 are generally better.
>>
>>55055920
>registry personailizations
Kek
>>
All Windows releases after 7 go straight into shit tier.
>>
>>55055920
Is this the daily cancer general? Should I post my waifu desktops?
>>
>>55055920
This list was clearly made by a retard.
>>
>>55055969
Win7 gets points just for being the most recent os they have with a consistent UI. 8 feels like a linux distro in terms of ui consistency (which means absolutely fucking none), 10 is a bit better and have been making things more consistent as more updates roll out. Forced updates and basically being malware suck, but it is getting to the point where it's nice to use if you don't care about privacy
>>
>>55055920
I use both.

Xubuntu as Primary - host
Windows 7 as Secondary - VM
Arch as SSH - Fileserver.

Arch feels much more easier to deal with out of the three. I wish they had LTS repo. God I love the AUR
>>
>>55056010
>shilling for invasive, deceptive adware/spyware masquerading as an OS
>>
>>55055920
What criteria did you use to make this image.
>>
>>55056018
I want to use a linux host with a windows vm so bad, but my gpu doesn't like pcie-passthrough and I play vidya

>>55056008
i think it's pretty good, minus the weird 'registry personalization' shit. maybe bump os x down to noice tier because it probably has apple malware, but is otherwise basically perfect.
>>
>>55056010
8 is exactly the same as 7 except for metro mode which you can ignore and alternative theme and optimizations
>>
>>55056056
That's sad. Next time don't fall for nvidya meme

You'll grow out of gaming anyway
>>
God tier obv :/ got ubuntu fully re-coded in my way

GIT GUD in assembly noobs
>>
OP here

>>55055966
agreed

>>55055996
zozzle

>>55056003
found the b8

>>55056007
pretty much, and do it senpai

>>55056008
agreed

>>55056010
8 isn't that bad, its just that its basically halfway between 7 and 10. It isn't as clean as 7 and doesn't have the benefits of 10.

>>55056018
vms are bae

>>55056042
general usability and productivity. didn't take privacy invasion into account for this one obviously.
>>
"registry personalizations"
>>
>>55056094
I have a Radeon HD 7770, it just doesn't play nice for whatever reason. Might be my mobo, it's a crosshair V that I got off my friend for a few bucks
>>
>>55055920
Windows 10 bitches, if ya wanna game dx12 and otherwise my experience more stable os than the rest
>>
>>55055920
>rainmeter
Into the trash it goes
>>
File: computer hater.jpg (42 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
computer hater.jpg
42 KB, 450x675
>Windows
Awful on the inside. Anyone who has written a Windows API program can attest to this. Parts of it, like the windowing system, desperately need an overhaul, but haven't seen a significant change since 3.1. The crap really seeps through, too. The so-called "windowed-fullscreen" mode in modern games shouldn't have to be different to the regular fullscreen mode, but it is because the windowing APIs and the DWM are crap. Also, whoever is in charge at Microsoft right now just sees Windows as an advertising platform. Enjoy your telemetry.

>GNU/Linux
Never stable on the desktop. Any time a piece of software gets halfway stable, the popular distros switch to the next big thing, which is invariably overengineered XML-abusing DBus-abusing Freedesktop shit. The only alternatives to the big popular DEs are minimalist Archfag crap that don't do enough to be useful, and the middle ground isn't popular enough to be maintained. The kernel isn't that great either. Its model of polling for I/O readiness is simply inferior to NT's I/O request packets, which is why a bloated behemoth like IIS outperforms simple "fast" servers like nginx and lighttpd.

>OS X
It's a desktop operating system by a company who's primary business is phones. They could not give less of a shit about it. Bugs go unpatched for years. New releases introduce new bugs that are never fixed. OS X devs, like Windows devs, just have to hack around all the issues that come up, because they know their OS vendor is never going to fix them. It's a "real" "Unix," but it has severely outdated GNU tools because it doesn't want to comply with GPL3. It continues to use user interface concepts that no one else uses or likes out of stubbornness, which is not a good trait to have for an operating system.

>everything else (*BSDs, experimental OSes, Chrome OS as a primary OS, etc.)
Just memes. They have pervasive problems like the big three OSes, but they also have no software and no drivers.

>>55055920
>rainmeter
>>
>>55056133
Win8 still has Desktop control panels that are full featured, not normie HTML web apps like in 10, seriously cmd is the only reliable way to do anything beyond create an account.
>>
Linux == *BSD == OS X > Windows
>>
>>55056753
>but it has severely outdated GNU tools because it doesn't want to comply with GPL3
Becoming less and less of an issue, with each release Apple's replacing more of these outdated tools with their superior non-GNU counterparts.
>>
Years agobI used to customize Windows 7 a lot and Linux a little.

Now I just don't give a shit, and am fine just using with using my, "shit tier," stock Linux distro.
>>
File: Screenshot (3).png (79 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (3).png
79 KB, 1366x768
win 10 with the telemetry btfo
>>
>>55055920
>god tier
>wangblows

10 Bing points has been deposited to your account Pajee
>>
>>55056753
>I/O request packets (IRPs) are kernel mode structures that are used by Windows Driver Model (WDM) and Windows NT device drivers to communicate with each other and with the operating system.

how is this related to polling?
>>
>>55055920
>good:
linux riced-rolling-release
>ok
linux stable distros
>meh
windows with a pro user
>shit
windows, OSx
>normies:
BTFO REEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1465820436255.png (31 KB, 743x868) Image search: [Google]
1465820436255.png
31 KB, 743x868
>>
Git Gud at assembly so you dont have to choose an OS, and build your own compiler and shell.
>>
>>55055920
>chromeOS
>shit-tier
Only if you're trying to use it for what it wasn't made for. some points:
>Usually comes on cheap hardware that Ubuntu will also run on
>Can run android apps natively
>Has significantly superior battery life
If you just need a netbook, it's probably the best option.

That said though, I cheaped out a little too far on hardware and it occasionally will lag when playing youtube videos, so the bargain basement is still a bad idea
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.