[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are QRCodes still popular? My boss insists that QRCodes are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Are QRCodes still popular?

My boss insists that QRCodes are the future and that for every single App we develop it is mandatory that we add something related to QRCodes, that ends up wasting precious development time.
Honestly, I have never ever seen any of our users use QRCodes, let alone know what one is.

What about you, /g/?
>>
>>55055534
It will replace barcode that's for sure
>>
QR codes are insanely popular where I live. People are always crowded around them scanning away
>>
>>55055534
With regards to advertising/downloading, I love QR codes.

Why the fuck should I remember/type in and address when I can just take a QR picture?

What kind of business is you rboss in?
>>
>>55055534
..Using QR codes for what? They're just fucking strings of text. You might as well just use a URL shortener for the same purpose.
>>
how much time could it possibly take?
>>
>>55055534
>LHKhsjdhlqqwHKLJHdsfwthtrhGGrgdf

wut
>>
Obviously every design and journalism school teaches its students that they're a must. They have even appeared on gravestones!

I've had a smartphone for four years now and only scanned QR codes 5 or 6 times. And only one time I've found it useful: When drawing a number to wait for the uni administration you could scan the QR code below the number and discover that for your assigned case worker you're second in line, and all the other 60 people in the waiting room want to see somebody else.
>>
They are very useful in warehousing and freight and for robot/sensor positioning. More susceptible to user idiocy, dirt and wear so they aren't going to totally replace barcodes anytime soon though.

Can be handy for mobile-pc verification links and similar. In marketing they are just a dumb meme. Don't use a QR code when a snappy url will suffice.
>>
I've seen a few useful applications for QR codes, and many hopeless ones.

A good use:
>bus/train/etc stops
In my city, each stop has a code which once scanned brings you to a page telling you which services run on the stop, and when the next of each is to arrive.

A shitty use:
>road signs
I've seen a QR code on a road sign on the freeway (the speed was 100km/h for the road, and there was no pedestrian access).
How the fuck are you expected to scan that?
I managed to get a picture with my DSLR, and it was a link to the local government's tourism website.
>>
>>55056567
i don't want to believe this
>>
>>55056567
>QR code on a road sign
No kidding?
Here we have URLs on freeway construction vehicles and I've even seen one on a Düsseldorf police cruiser.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-13-09-11-41.png (176 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-13-09-11-41.png
176 KB, 1440x2560
>>
>>55056376
>They have even appeared on gravestones!
Top kek. What happens if ownership of the url transfers to someone else?
>Hey, do you remember the number for that Chinese food place?
>Nah man, let me scan that gravestone a again.
>>
>>55057138
That's an admittedly weak point. But QR codes are a means of marketing, and marketing isn't concerned with what's years from now.

An example: The Deutsche Post offered everybody who would register "an email address for his/her entire life!" some 15 years ago or so. [email protected], free of charge. They were around for 10 years or so, and then decided it wasn't worth it and cancelled all subscriptions. I think they're back meanwhile, but they charge for a service that companies like Google or GMX offer for free.
>>
Literally the only time I've scanned a QR was in that Talos game.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.