[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How practical is it to RAID 0 two SSDs if I just want the fastest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ocz-vector-180-ssd-1269.jpg (34 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
ocz-vector-180-ssd-1269.jpg
34 KB, 770x433
How practical is it to RAID 0 two SSDs if I just want the fastest load times in vidya?
>>
>>55043842
If you want the fastest load times and are considering RAID0 for sata SSDs you've already fucked up.

Sorry.
>>
I've done it and gotten ~1GBps speeds
is it the most optimal solution? No, but it is a cheap way of getting faster speeds when you dont really have other options without spending a lot of cash. As with any raid 0 setup, if you care about your data do backups.
>>
>>55043842
Ramdisk is the true option if you want fast load speeds, but you will need an insane amount of ram
>>
>>55043842
RAID 0 improves transfer speeds but not latency, and the reduction in latency is the main reason why SSDs are snappier. RAID is pretty pointless for vidya.
>>
>>55044591
Most games are under 20GB in size so if you have 32GB of RAM just set aside 8GB for your OS and actually running the game. Then you have 24GB to use for a RAMDisk. 32GB of RAM is fairly cheap these days. If you're wanting to play almost every game on a RAMDisk then 64GB of RAM will suffice. 8-16GB for OS/games, 48-56GB for your RAMDisk. Which should be more than enough for all but the very very largest games. (GTA 5 being ~60GB is one of the few that comes to mind)

If you're willing to Shell out for x99 platform and 16GB DIMMs you can even get 128GB of RAM giving you over 100GB RAMDisk. But then you're looking at a minimum $200 motherboard, $350 CPU, and $600-$1000 in RAM depending on speed
>>
>>55044723
But it's faaast maaaan!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.