[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Windows have such retarded defaults? Let's face
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: kernelUserMemorySplit.png (30 KB, 625x190) Image search: [Google]
kernelUserMemorySplit.png
30 KB, 625x190
Why does Windows have such retarded defaults?

Let's face it, NT is a shit kernel.
>>
>implying anyone who knows anything about computers use windows
>>
>>55043331
I use *BSD and Linux user (used Gentoo for a few years), and know how to write ASM for 6502 and Z80 ROMs. I'm also working on writing my own SNES emulator.

I use Windows as my daily driver because it's good enough and I don't fundamentally care about what OS I use anymore.
>>
>>55042465
explain this to the new guy if possible
>>
>>55044132
OP won't because he himself has no fucking idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>55042465
>implying 32-bit is relevant anymore
>>
>>55042465
because legacy support, but win10 and "forced" updates will change that, since shortly after 10 stops being free, they'll drop consumer grade support for all other versions of window, then be able to rework shit and roll it out to everyone
>>
>>55042465
Of course it is, for fuck's sake it even renders text and handles scrollbars.
>>
>>55044533
Citation?
>>
>>55044533
>for fuck's sake it even renders text and handles scrollbars

It's hilarious that you think this is a bad idea, Linux is just now introducing kernel mode rendering engines for their DE's.
>>
>>55044533
>it even renders text
NT 3.1 (and I think 3.5) didn't. They moved text rendering (and graphics in general) into the kernel because performance was so abysmal. Now they can't ever move it back out because of backwards compatibility.
>>
>>55044581
It may not be an inherently bad idea, but it's implemented poorly enough in NT where it introduces vulnerabilities.
>>
>>55044582
Why not? To the application, isn't it all just API calls? Why can't they just make an interface that has the same signature as calling into the kernel, but with it actually going into userland functions?

I mean, if something like WINE can work for Windows programs, and even wrapping DirectX calls so that they secretly map to OpenGL calls, why can't you do the same for in-kernel rendering insanity?
>>
>>55044581
No they're not you fucking retard.
DRM/KMS is not what you think it is.
>>
>>55044806
Switching in and out of kernel mode is a fairly expensive operation, and if you do a lot of it it adds up to noticeable context-switching overhead. Hence they put more stuff in kernel mode, since it leads to significant performance gains.
>>
Why does µclinux have such retarded defaults?

Let's face it, Linux is a shit kernel.
>>
>>55044866
>µclinux does something stupid involving the kernel, therefore the entire mainline kernel is shit.
Is quite different from
>The default NT kernel in all windows operating systems has a retarded default, therefore the NT kernel is shit.
>>
File: 1456724912880.jpg (15 KB, 480x354) Image search: [Google]
1456724912880.jpg
15 KB, 480x354
>>55044866
>µCLinux == Linux
>>
>>55044848

That does not address my question at all.

Why do you have to induce kernel context-switching to intercept API calls, or just have the same API but making it go to userland instead?
>>
>>55042465
That guy's blog is quite good.
Was really helpful when I was learning about how computers and memory worked.
>>
>>55044912
Simply because the nightmare of compatibility when dealing with millions upon millions of shitty VB and pajeet programs makes taking it out harder than just replacing it with a new API, hence winapi being deprecated in Windows RT
>>
I've heard so many conflicting reports on NT.

Sometimes It's "Everything Hurd was supposed to be (The Firewall is actually really fucking good but the built-in UI is terrible and hides how powerful it really is!")" and other times "Even Exec is better.".
>>
>>55044912
The API can't stay entirely in userland. At some point code has to talk directly to hardware (the video card) to draw on the screen, and you have to go to kernel mode for that to happen.
>>
>>55043331
>macs
>stickers
>faggoty ass lab coats look we're sooo nerdy like scientists at a fucking AD COMPANY, amirite?
Just fuck off, bimbo fuckhead.
>>
>>55044998
NT is a marvel of engineering just like wine is, in that it's amazing it even works at all.

Linux and OSX have the benefit of an active and engaged development community who are willing to rewrite programs when something better comes along, and on the Linux side, to maintain open source stuff after the creator goes to jail for uxoricide.

NT must continue to (mostly) work after decades of bad decisions, and support new features regularly enough to help the shitty MS devs have anything resembling performance and stability.

All that said, NT has some remarkably bad decisions. The memory split in the OP, PE32 and PE32+, kernel mode font rendering leaving regular vulnerabilities over and over for the past twenty years, kernel mode software DE that ends up doing things like calling the scrollbar down arrow callback in kernel mode, the whole 32bit function call fiasco that keeps a hard barrier between 8, 16, 32, and 64 bit programs and memory space in NT (you effectively have two kernels running at any time with WoW64), file locking by default, and a host of other issues that would take days to write.
>>
>>55044908
>>55044905

>Desktop Windows == WinNT kernel
>>
>>55045156
I think Dave Cutler did a pretty good job designing it but sadly the NT kernel has been left to rot and stagnate since then.
>>
>>55045209
It does you dumbass
>>
>>55044383
This. Jesus Christ, OP. Also, Linux could use 1/3, 2/2 and 3/1.
>>
>>55044383
>VBS
>Office 32 vs 64 bit
>COM/DCOM/COM+
>WoW64
>20 years of compatibility
>mingw
Yeah, 32 bit is still the windows default build target, and will remain so until Microsoft can finally stop supporting winapi
>>
>>55043576
Much the same as me. I just want the OS to keep out of my way. Windows does that just fine. It has been a long time since I needed to drop into the kernel for anything so I mostly avoid running Linux on the desktop as it just isn't worth my time. Sure it is a lot better than it was a decade ago but it still has stupid issues that cause me to waste my time fixing them whereas Windows tends to work better than anything else that is widely supported.
>>
>>55044755
back-pedalling this fucking much.
>>
>>55045366
It's not backpedaling when it's the fucking truth
>>
>>55045364
>Explorer locked a file again, time to reboot!
>>
>>55045390
Interestingly I have never had that issue. Other issues sure but never had to reboot because of a locked file.
>>
>>55045331
and for which of those is the difference between two and three gigabytes of address space significant?

anything where using large amounts of memory *is* important will be compiled as 64-bit.
>>
>>55045390
That's what Unlocker is for
>>
NT default looks like the way VMS does memory management on VAX, which isn't surprising since Cutler designed both. Too bad x86 is a total shit compared to VAX and can't support a good OS.
>>
>>55045484
Someone hasn't had trouble with large excel files on 32 bit office it seems
>>
>>55045718
thats a sign that whatever you're doing has grown large and complicated enough that it shouldn't be built in excel, and that you need at a minimum to offload some of what's being done in the spreadsheet to a proper database server.
>>
>>55045776
And while I as a developer have done this multiple times for customers, it is still a PROBLEM you insufferable obdurate cunt. 32 bit is still as relevant today as it was in 2002 on Windows.
>>
>>55045718
of course not, only a retard would use excel for datasets that large
>>
>>55045864
2 gigs of financial data isn't that much you know, especially when adding in calculated fields and script macros and other overhead.

And those retards run most companies.
>>
>>55045364
>Windows
>works better than anything

I don't understand this meme. Why would you willing use a proprietary OS that is made for old people and children that also happens to be 10+ years out of date?
>>
>>55045941
Because it runs software you need?
>>
>>55045481
It's a regular problem when using drives with lots of media files, it's also common in programs that do lots of file access like visual studio. As a developer I hit it like every third day when building windows apps and asp.net stuff. Fortunately that's rare these days and so most of my work is on Linux, the one true upside of java dev
>>
>>55045937
>2 gigs of financial data isn't that much you know
sure, but excel isn't a database nor accounting program
>>
>>55045517
>Explorer locked a file again, time to go download a random program, give it administrator permissions, and hope and pray I kill the correct file handle and not crash the machine.
>>
>>55045957
Why would you willingly get yourself into a situation where you "need" shitty broken proprietary software? You do realize it's bad for business?
>>
>>55045995
And I'll argue that point with you until we're both blue in the face, but upper management usually doesn't understand that and won't pay for a custom accounting program
>>
>>55043576
same except I'm an old shit collector
after trying damn near everything short of VMS it doesn't fucking matter anymore, I find winshit marginally more enjoyable to use as a DD, I like the software base, and it's not like it makes a meaningful difference what I use when the advantages between the platforms are so blurred and subjective nowadays for a home user

>>55046014
thousands of businesses seem to get by just fine, stop treating your platform as a lifestyle
>>
>>55045995
Excel is used for exploring massive datasets from databases and financial systems m8.
>>
>>55046014
Good luck operating any service/consumer business without Windows server
>>
>>55046041
>>55046028
guess that's the difference between "is used for" and "should be used for"
>>
>>55046080
Pretty much, it's horrendous
>>
>>55046041
You can't really use more than a million or so rows in Excel (it's a hard limit) so it is literally useless for any data set larger than moderate
>>
>>55045995
I like it when every time someone mentions a use case that Excel is really good at you retards always backpedal and say they're using it wrong, like it fucking matters at all. Maybe we should start shitting on you for using a Unix-like OS on a single-user system, or 4chan for non-anime discussion.

Besides, spreadsheets have been used for accounting since the beginning of time, whether you like it or not.
>>
File: 5Gt-sqMw190.jpg (81 KB, 610x919) Image search: [Google]
5Gt-sqMw190.jpg
81 KB, 610x919
>>55042465
Something wrong/
Reinstall Shindows
>>
>>55046129
pro-tip: Multiple sheets and VBA, you don't import shit verbatim.
>>
>>55046108
Not really, the cost of dealing with 2GB excel files isn't that bad compared to the risk of migrating data and purchasing accountancy software.
>>
I wish i could use Linux but I ran into so bitchy driver issues even with Ubuntu that it was pretty lousy to use

and it didn't honestly work with my monitor, if i turned it off or it turned off after x amount of time and i turned it back on it couldn't get signal
>>
>>55044482
>because legacy support, but win10 and "forced" updates will change that, since shortly after 10 stops being free, they'll drop consumer grade support for all other versions of window, then be able to rework shit and roll it out to everyone

Dream on, anon. It's a good wet dream, though.
>>
File: y_98d54fe0.jpg (171 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
y_98d54fe0.jpg
171 KB, 750x500
ShindowsProblems
>>
>>55046185
When? Every year, support increases dramatically. I've tried Ubuntu on and off since 2006 and it's just astounding how much it's improved.
>>
Everything about Windows is shit.
>>
>>55046181
No, you're right. It's more the 32bit thing that makes it a problem. Now you need 32 bit IE, 32 bit db drivers, 32bit COM libraries, etc.
>>
>>55046312
True, it's a shame RT didn't get more than 5 users. Microsoft could have done so much without worrying about compatibility.
>>
>>55046337
the reason RT wasn't used was because it wasn't compatible

doomed if they do, doomed if they don't
>>
>>55046169
Shitty hack
>>
>>55046181
excel is a separate issue that has nothing to do with this thread, people would find a way to run it out of memory no matter how much of the 32 bit address space you gave it
>>
>>55046284
3 or so months ago. It wouldn't properly work with MG279Q and 980TI and with my Maximus motherboard.

I really really liked the user experience if we don't count the driver issue, I think W10 is pretty fast but holy hannah both Xubuntu and Ubuntu absolutely smoked it in how fluid and responsive they were
>>
>>55046415
>Ubuntu
>Fluid
I know I'm meme-texting, but it really is quite abysmal when you get shown up by the slowest of all Linux DEs
>>
>>55042465
>NT is a shit kernel
NT is a fucking excellent kernel at its root. All the shit bolted onto it or running under it, not so much.

Where's your kernel? Have you ever written one? Are you based Terry fucking A. Davis? No? Shut the fuck up then.

I have written bare-metal code, but never needed to do a multitasking kernel, even a small one. I think I might be able to, given months to years of very hard work, depending on the platform, but it would be fucking hard.

When those memory models were designed, nobody was going to be carting around gigabytes of memory for a very long time to come, and when they did, they'd need to extend the address space obviously.

Which they did, with PAE and then AMD64.
>>
>>55045156
>system32 is for 64-bit files
>sysWoW64 is for 32-bit files

Never forget.
>>
>>55046482
it'd be interesting if the new linux subsystem for windows 10 were released, there could be a Debian/kWinNT
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>55046570
>>
>>55046558
32 bit apps dont think that syatem32 is 32 bit
>>
>>55045331

>mingw
Default targets x86-64 for me. I have to explicitly use -m32 to get 32-bit executables.

>>55045718

It doesn't cost more to get 64-bit office. It's 2016, and every CPU made by Intel and AMD (at least those worth using) supports 64-bit. You shouldn't even consider using 32-bit operating systems anymore, so given the choice between a 32-bit and 64-bit version of an application, you have 0 legitimate reasons to not use the 64-bit version.
>>
>>55047279
>given the choice between a 32-bit and 64-bit version of an application, you have 0 legitimate reasons to not use the 64-bit version.
except they use more RAM and run slower?

Unless I'm using a spreadsheet with millions of entries, 32-bit excel is faster.
>>
>>55047349

>use more RAM
Not too much more...

>run slower
Twice as many general purpose registers, guaranteed SSE2, functions passed in registers instead of the stack... it should run faster, no?
>>
>>55047279
>You shouldn't even consider using 32-bit operating systems anymore
That has nothing to do with the continued prevalence of 32 bit applications on Windows due to continued use of and writing of new programs compatible with modern and legacy 32 bit applications.

COM is an extreme offender in this category, as is office. VB script is still heavily used in enterprise, and database drivers must be written for both bitness levels. NT has a design failure on the 32 bit side that is the primary reason for the 32/64 bit split.
>>
>>55047392
>Run faster
Memory pressure is doubled from the larger pointers and the 64bit call stack has some strangeness to it
>>
>>55045941
It works better than anything *for my needs*

My CPU and GPU are proprietary also but I still use them as I bet you do also. I suspect many things you use every day are proprietary but you still use them because they work the best for your needs.

For me Windows does what I need. What matters to me is can I take my data and use it in another system? As I work with open standard data formats that isnt an issue. I can take my data over to Linux or OS X or BSD if I ever needed to. My process would have to change but that is true of everything.

So yeah I use Windows because it works for me. I dont get why people are so obsessed with using gnu/linux for everything even if it means you waste a fuck load of your life getting simple shit to work after you got it to work before but then an update fucked it up again. i have other shit i want to do with my time.
>>
>>55047279
CURRENT YEAR

Seriously though, is libreoffice as shit as I've been led to believe?
>>
>>55045981
interesting. I do java work most days in idea on windows and never hit that problem. i sometimes get the fucking stupid MAX_PATH limit but i can work around that easy enough and it doesnt happen all that much, mostly if i use a new library or something and the dev made it on *nix so it wasnt an issue for them.

has been over a decade since i did java on linux and it was shit. then again it was shit on windows too back then lol. things got a lot better with intellij imho.
>>
File: 1461732087276.jpg (10 KB, 243x194) Image search: [Google]
1461732087276.jpg
10 KB, 243x194
>>55042465
On the topic of memory, did you know that there is no mmap() equivalent on Windows platforms? SAD!
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.