[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: why dual-booting is a waste of time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: dual booting.jpg (64 KB, 1000x957) Image search: [Google]
dual booting.jpg
64 KB, 1000x957
My reasoning is one machine, one OS. Rebooting just to do a task is a waste of time.

This is why I run Windows these days, even though I'd rather be running OpenBSD. I can play muh games, and I can ssh into muh workstation to do muh develops.

On Linux/BSD, I can do development work (cuz command line), and newer desktop environments are shiny enough to not mind using as a desktop. Only problem is no games. And don't tell me Linux has over 2000 games on Steam. It does, but I'd lose over 230 of the games I actually want to play on Steam if I switched to Linux.

Stop dual-booting.
>>
>people are doing something i don't
>hurr durr stop it
>>
>>55042162
no
>>
>>55042162
I stopped dual-booting in 2008 because at that time I realised I was never playing any games anymore anyway and that I had become a lot more proficient in Linux than I ever was on a Windows system.
>>
>>55042220
OP here.

I used to quad-boot back in the day when I was distro hopping a lot and was only using Linux for a few years.

I also used to dual-boot between Windows and Linux as well, using Linux most of the time and only using Windows for certain things. Or if some thing I tried to do in Linux didn't work.

I regret buying so many Steam games because I feel tethered to the platform now. Part of me just wants to consider it a sunken-cost fallacy and just drop Windows, and stick to the occasional console and handheld gaming instead.

I also don't like how all my games are x86-based, since I dislike the direction that CPU architecture is heading. Intel's shit with Intel Management Engine is scaring me, and who knows if some other architecture may become king someday?
>>
>>55042282
grow out of muh gaems
find something better
>>
PC: Windows 10 for muh games (mainly DotA 2 with friends)
Laptop: Oobongo

There you have.
>>
>>55042432
you can play dota 2 on linux
it's one of the few games that run flawlessly
>>
>>55042162
Why not just get a solid state drive?
Shutting down linux and booting windows takes about 20 seconds.
>>
>>55042540

Part of the reason is because I use full-disk encryption on everything, and I have along-ass password I have to enter on boot. It'd get really annoying to have to enter it constantly when booting into either Windows or Linux.
>>
>>55042162
>Rebooting just to do a task is a waste of time.
Obviously. Nevermind the fact that you lose your entire setup.

That's why you should use only GNU if you can, and GNU with a windows VM otherwise. This is the most productive, safest, most free setup you'll get.
>>
>>55042162
duel booting windows 7 and 10 for compatibility issues, also have a windows 98 virtual machine for muh old ass erotic vidya
>>
>>55042162
Rebooting takes all of ten seconds and you can save all your open programs. It's a non-issue.
>>
>>55042618
No one actually cares about "free" you RMS shill. And GNU isn't an OS.
>>
>>55043813
>And GNU isn't an OS.

Any distro which is Stallman-approved is a GNU OS.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.