[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I had no issues living without flash for the past year but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: file.png (106 KB, 519x396) Image search: [Google]
file.png
106 KB, 519x396
So I had no issues living without flash for the past year but now I need java

Does /g/ have anything against it?

3 billion people can't be wrong, right?
>>
>>55030748
no
they can
>>
>>55030748
There's nothing wrong with Java applications. It's no more "unsafe" than C++. The danger comes from using Java plugins which are exploitable. Just don't install them and no one uses them. Otherwise, nothing wrong with them.
>>
>>55030748
>3 billion people can't be wrong
Half of india's population shit in the street
>>
>>55030748
>>55030975
2.2 billion Christians and 1.6 billion terrorists AS OF 2010.
That's almost 4 billion brainwashed sheeples back in 2010.
Argumentum ad populum.
>>
>>55030748
>So I had no issues living without flash for the past year but now I need java
> Does /g/ have anything against it?

I installed java a couple months ago for some shitty web applet on my bank website needed to scan checks, then forgot to remove it.

Two weeks later I found a bitcoin miner in my firefox's appdata folder which no anti-malware detected or removed.

Fuck java.
>>
What do you need Java for? Java is a major security vulnerability (Not to be confused with Javascript).
>>
>>55031148

Not OP but a lot of unis require the java web plugin for VPN access via networkconnect.
>>
>>55031146

And this is the problem with Java, OP. Java lays dormant while certain things on websites will call on it subtly and put random malware/adware/spyware/viruses onto your machine.
>>
>>55031111
>Le brainwashed steeples maim xD am so enlightened by own intelligence olol
*Tips bananadora
>>
>>55030844
Thankfully Firefox is killing of plugins soon and Java 9 will deprecate the Java plugin, so a huge amount of malware that travels around the internet will be dead. There is no Java malware for the Desktop app, just an applet.
>>
>>55030748
Install java jvm, immediately uninstall and/or disable browser plugin. Java web applets == malware droppers, period.
>>
>>55030748
It's not 3 billion people, OP.

It's 3 billion devices that have been sold through the ages, capable of running some form of Java.

It's largely Android phones, Nokia feature phones and blu-ray players. And they're all a mess to program.
>>
>>55031180
Who uses plugins without click to play?
>>
>>55030844
>>55031276
You get two warnings when running Java applets. You can't get malware from applets unless you are quite literally asking for it.
>>
>>55030748
>3 billion people
>3 billion devices

pick one, faggot

I got like 30 devices, none of them have java shit though
>>
>>55033318
I was literally waiting for it.
>>
>>55030748
>3 billion people
3 billion devices is not 3 Billion people you fucking sperglord.
>>
I think that the ration of 1 dumb person for each 2 humans is pretty reasonable actually
>>
I fucking hate java.

>tfw I had to install this shit so I can compile my programs for my android phone.

Hey, what if /g/ made a GNU based mobile OS so no one is forced to use java anymore?

gOS? I'll make the logo.
>>
>>55035627
You mean like Sailfish OS?
>>
>>55031280
>uninstall browser plugin
How?
Also can I use .jar without jave installed like you can play .sfw stuff without flash installed?
>>
ITT: Microsoft pajeets.
>>
>>55035627

name gENT2
>>
>>55030748
I'm a Java developer and I don't think there's a reason to install it if you aren't one. Java is mostly used on the server side, applets have been dead for over a decade and the few desktop apps written in it generally come with a bundled JRE.
>>
>>55030748

Java itself is great.
Java browser plugins were a bad idea and even the most die hard Java evangelists would admit to this.
Java has a lot of controversy because oracle is evil and because it's installer comes with bundled shitware. OpenJVM is perfectly capable and Stallman himself said it was good.

If you want to write high performance scalable server software Java is one of the best choices.
>>
>>55030748
It's not "people" it's "devices".
Mostly Android phones I think.

People rarely choose to use Java, they are forced to.
>>
>>55039086
>Java has a lot of controversy because oracle is evil and because it's installer comes with bundled shitware.
I think they removed it years ago
>>
Java actually outshines Flash as fucking desktop-cancer.
>>
>>55039142
no, Android isn't Java. It has a much shittier VM and uses a language based on a deprecated Java version from like 10 years ago
>>
>>55039173
Reputations take a long time to build but only an instance to tarnish.

I will never trust Oracle again.
Even if they don't currently bundle shitware there is no saying they won't do so again in the future.
>>
>>55030748
>3 billion people can't be wrong, right?

Well it all depends on the wording. There are way more than 3 billion devices on the planet, and most of them "CAN" run java, but never do.
>>
>>55039173
The online installers come with chrome and ask toolbar shit. there's a preference to supress sponsor offers on updates, but it's not a default.
>>
>>55030748
the 3 billion number has been there for years now
>>
>>55030748
Personally I like Java (to develop with) however installing the JRE is shit. I make my own portable JDK/JRE though rather than use the awful Oracle installer. That way if I want Java gone I can just delete the folder and thats it. No temp files, no horrible hooks into the registry, etc. It also makes having multiple versions installed easy with just a batch file to setup the environment for each version I want, that way they dont conflict with each other and are restricted to just that command prompt instance. DESU all software should work this way.
>>
>>55041730
oh yeah and this way doesnt install/register the plugin with any browsers so you cant get fucked with that AIDS infested java web plugin
>>
>>55040856
dunno, I only install JDKs and I don't remember ever seeing any spyware
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.