[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lol silicon valley ftw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: ofrmwr4zn4vjabzbakgn[1].jpg (57 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
ofrmwr4zn4vjabzbakgn[1].jpg
57 KB, 636x358
NEET on summer break here. I've finally gotten sick of playing CSGO all day, I've got the whole rest of the summer and a lot of adderall, and I've always felt like my coding skills were lackluster and half-assed, lazily learned mostly from mandatory high school and college classes and copied from smarter classmates.

So I want to learn. Here's the thing though, I'm the kind of person that if they're not wholly interested in something, even if I have other reasons for wanting to learn it, my brain's not going to be able to put forth the effort no matter what. But when I dedicate myself to it, I really really get into it, to the point where I start hitting inflection points and reaping exponential returns on the amount of material I read.

What I want to do then is fully immerse myself in the guts and intestines of programming until I'm so hopelessly deep in that I have no other option but to learn as much as I can at the lowest level, without fear of being another code monkey casual drifting along at the surface. I've read the Steve Jobs biography and always admired how he went balls deep in whatever he did, and desu I'm sick of waiting for classes to challenge me with some arbitrary random coding project that I wait until 2 days before to start, and then half-bake the logic and scrap the rest of the code from someone else. I want to challenge myself, force myself to get into it, namsayin?

The relevant coursework I've taken so far includes: an operating systems course, which barely touched on process handling as well as served as an introduction to C; two digital logic courses, so I'm roughly familiar with the general concepts around actual I/O operations and assembly; and a bunch of semi-related EE/CpE courses (I'm mainly an EE major) having to do with transistor logic and more physical electrical-ly type stuff. I want to maybe start with C, as that was the toughest part of anything I've done so far, and I hated the teacher, and feel like I could improve on that.
>>
>>55028662

tldr

do a one-liner neet, what do you need?
>>
Oh and forgot to mention, some applied modern algebra-type courses as well. Like I said, I wanna go hard & fast into it, so if that includes related math fields and concepts, bring it on nigger
>>
Excellent.

Go write a program that downloads all post images in a 4chan thread, and saves them to a directory of your choice. In C. No external libraries other than C standard libraries and basic network sockets.

That's your assignment. Learn whatever you need to learn to get it done, no excuses. Google the fuck out of the problem to learn the relevant technologies, but don't look at programs that do the exact same thing. Return when it works.
>>
>>55028704
Want to self-learn coding, but not *just* coding aka writing hello world java applets, want to dive into whatever mariana trench of programming history and base-level concepts I can find. Where to start. I'm thinking focus mainly on C and idk what else?
>>
Kill yourself.
>>
>>55028737

got it

what do you want to do with that knowledge?
what are you aiming to achieve?
>>
>>55028734
Awesome, that actually sounds like something I might be able to do.

I'm curious though, and this is what I'm kind of asking, are there any good rough resources to start with on this? Other than going on amazon and buying every generic "C for Dummies" book I can find and pore over.
>>
File: 1465460448698.gif (567 KB, 300x456) Image search: [Google]
1465460448698.gif
567 KB, 300x456
>>55028737
>>55028662

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8Y8T2uBc3hGWEkwWmw5QldNeXc

Here's a collection of books. Read em all.
>>
>>55028788
You'll need: a good C book. An introduction to sockets and network programming. An overview of HTTP. An introduction to HTML.

I can't really recommend any particular C books. The type of book that suits you depends a lot on your background, and I don't really know any good C books anyway. The only exception is The C Programming Language by K&R (the original C book), but that's useful only with a particular low-level background that you probably don't have.

Regarding networking, http, and html, there are tons of documents on that on the internet that should do fine.
>>
>>55028786
Well basically be able to understand how most of the broader concepts in programming work together, and how they evolved throughout the years. For example one of my friends is learning objective-C on his own, and until I googled it I didn't even know that it was in fact a precursor to OOP in general (while not the same thing). I'd like to know exactly how that differs from other languages, if structures were the original "objects" and if not then how are they different etc.

Of course it'd be nice to be able to whip up some gnarly efficient programs too, but since I'm primarily an EE, I'd want to focus more on how the physical components (transistors, memory configurations) give rise to those logic structures in the first place.
>>
File: fedora dog.jpg (260 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
fedora dog.jpg
260 KB, 900x948
>>55028815
Shieeeettt thanks :)))))))

One of the books in there caught my eye, the Lauren Ipsum one. THAT is the kind of shit I'm talking about (well obviously maybe a touch too basic, but the general wrap-up of concepts is what I'm going for). I'm gonna curl up and devour that little bitch
>>
>>55028737
Honestly, as a fellow EE student I recommend trying to code an OS. It will give you new or better insight into everything you do as an EE. You should be at a sufficient level of proficiency by now if your uni has solid standards ...
>>
>>55029187
You know what I was wondering about this. Lol, only problem is no, my public uni in a redneck state has pretty shit standards.

But that's why I made the thread. Do you have any recommendations for where to start? I've been heavily into rooting & playing around with my android phone lately, could I possibly use that as a launchpad for understanding *nix systems better?
>>
>>55028662
drink bleach
>>
>>55028737
http://pastebin.com/AcmcNzMX
>>
>>55029286
>Lol, only problem is no, my public uni in a redneck state has pretty shit standards.

This is why I didn't want to go to college in my dumbass Republican state.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.