[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was wondering what does /g/ think about password managers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: RLjWn.png (313 KB, 700x458) Image search: [Google]
RLjWn.png
313 KB, 700x458
So I was wondering what does /g/ think about password managers such as lastpass or 1password? I never really cared much about them but recently I started reading about it and was wondering if anyone here is using it, have used it before? Are they good, is it worth to get the paid versions, etc?
>>
You're just handing your passwords to the N (S) A.
>>
Thank you for you daily shill thread, poojet

One rupee has been added to your account.

For future reference and quality assurance, we ask that you not use exact copies of previous advertising texts for future threads
>>
>>55027983
>>55027964
Ok, so I assume it's not a good option then?
>>
Just use a goddamn paper to note all your passwords. If you live with a family, just hide it in the best spot you can think of.
>>
don't like any cloud connected pw managers.

using a local pw manager.
>>
>>55027694
Unrecoverable single point of failure. Sounds brilliant to me.

Passwords are for access control, they're not encryption keys. You don't need to make them into encryption keys.
My ATM PIN is 4 digits. A computer can run all 10,000 possibilities in a microsecond. Does this mean my account is pwned? No, since an ATM machine will eat the card after 3 wrong tries.
A password only needs to be good enough that it's unlikely to be stumbled upon before their tries run out.

Password strength is not likely to help much if their DB has been breached and the accounts are open to offline attack.
>>
>>55027694
>LostPass
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/06/16/bad-news-lastpass-breached-good-news-you-should-be-ok/
>>
>>55027694
I use lastpass solely for the convenience of autologin and shit like that, I couldn't care less about security
>>
>>55028946
I think the point of a password manager is not so much using strong passwords (though you may as well), but to use many passwords - ideally a different one for every site you use. If you're using the same password for everything, then all it takes is for the MLP forum you frequent to get hacked and bam, they have full access to your life - no guessing required.
>>
>>55029074
You don't need a password manager to not use the same account name and password on every account.
>>
>>55029130
True, and honestly I just use a text file. But I can see how a cloud-based password manager could be more convenient.
>>
>>55029002
Then you dont need lastpass...the browser password manager will do all the auto-login stuff
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.