[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1322615842122.jpg (26 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1322615842122.jpg
26 KB, 600x600
What is it like to have a job? I've been a neet for a few years now and haven't had any experience in the real business world. How do people behave? Am I expected to put on some sort of persona or can I be myself?

I'm afraid of going to my interview.
>>
As long as you're not a dick and get your job done, nobody cares who you are.
>>
>>55027496
Definitely don't put on an act. For example don't treat one person different than another, but remember to converse (business or personal) according to who those people are and what they do or don't do for the company/business. You have to get along with people, but you don't have to kiss ass. There will be the odd douchebag that think their top shit, but just ignore them unless you're competing with then.
>>
>>55027616
Yea considering this he's probably fucked
>>
>>55027616
>>55027688
>>55027689
What if I'm shy and don't feel comfortable expressing enthusiasm? Also what if I don't know the full stack of technologies which the company uses but know I can pick it up relatively quickly? I want to be completely honest with those people, but maybe it's better to just omit certain things in conversation?

Like, I probably shouldn't mention being a neet. Right?

I feel like I need a pep talk. It's giving me a crazy amount of anxiety. I don't know if I have the courage to show up to the interview. The thought of fucking up and rejection is just overwhelming, I feel like an impostor
>>
>>55027864
just keep being a neet it's way easier
>>
You have to act as a normalfag if you don't want to be hated and ostracized from your fellow co-workers

It's fun though, it's like an RPG
>>
>>55027940
This, desu. If you have a loving mommy, she'll let you live with her and buy you chicken tendies until the day she dies.
>>
>>55027496
never be yourself because nobody wants to hire a neet
>>
>>55027958
>You have to act as a normalfag if you don't want to be hated and ostracized from your fellow co-workers
honestly if the "act" of being relatable to people off of 4chan is some real hurdle for you, you should probably see a therapist or something.
>>
>>55027940
Please don't demotivate me, because I know you're not wrong.

>>55027958
It does sound fun, but it also feels like getting into it will be overwhelming. I feel like there are a lot of things I'll mess up on. I've been alone for a long time. I don't know what will be expected of me.

If anyone could tell me about how it went when they were getting their first job, that would be great and I'd appreciate it
>>
>>55028157
i got my first job last year at the age of 23. it was a 3 month internship that paid $14.50 an hour for a degree in cisco networking i was working on. i mostly just worked a help desk and ran networking cables to new offices and set the workstations up in them.

my first day there my boss handed me a sheet of paper and told me to go around to everyone in the building and ask them their name and write down their name, office number, and number on their computer. i have social anxiety and there were about 200-300 people on the site so that fucking sucked. i honestly thought about just walking out and leaving but it would have been more awkward to explain that shit to my teacher so i just powered through it.

another time i fucked the paper shredder and i had a panic attack when i went to tell my boss and my voice cracked and i sounded like i was gonna start crying like a little fag. FUCK that was awkward. the whole 3 months was awkward as fuck really so once i got my networking degree i just decided to keep going to school for compsci or ee to put off getting a job longer
>>
>>55028383
> tfw going to school for increasingly hard classes to put off job
Iktf
>>
>>55028383
Thanks, that story was comforting
>>
>>55027496
>How do people behave?

In a small business setting, they behave somewhat casually. In a corporate setting, it's more formal.

>Am I expected to put on some sort of persona or can I be myself?

They'll eventually find out your fake persona, and it's going to be a huge turnoff for them. Just be yourself.

>What if I'm shy and don't feel comfortable expressing enthusiasm?

You should at least appear interested in the job during the interview.

> I want to be completely honest with those people, but maybe it's better to just omit certain things in conversation?

They might test you on basics of the technologies. Exaggerate your skill level but don't outright lie.
>>
Having a job, girlfriend, responsibilities fucking sucks OP.

Ride the gravy train as long as you can OP. It's all downhill from the days you spend jerking off and playing videogames all day.
>>
I gotta bump this one.

>>55027864
> Also what if I don't know the full stack of technologies which the company uses but know I can pick it up relatively quickly? I want to be completely honest with those people

I think I have the same feeling here. As a 3rd year CS student I feel like i learn a lot but not sure how much of it is actually useful in the job scene. I feel like I would just spend my first employment time on stack overflow.

I'm pretty good at what I do, one of the best at where I study really. And I like to do a lot of programming by my own, outside school context. But I never have the social strength to advertise that.
>>
>>55028055
Checked
>>r9k
>>
File: 1464403141180.jpg (21 KB, 228x171) Image search: [Google]
1464403141180.jpg
21 KB, 228x171
>>55027864
As a previous poster mentioned just give it all the effort you can and don't be an asshole. Being nice to people, in my experience, will take you even further than technical skills alone will. As for shyness, I'd consider myself shy and aside from a bit awkward initial experiences things are very smooth once I gave it some time.

Companies don't expect you to know their full stack day one in 99% of cases, and even if you are familiar with the technology/protocols/languages/etc that they use you probably aren't up to speed on how they are used at that specific company.

Don't mention you are a NEET because there is no reason to disclose it and you won't be as soon as you get the job. Also don't expect to ace every interview, some jobs you won't be a good fit for, other jobs won't be a good fit for you so find what is mutually beneficial. Rejection goes both ways, anon.
>>
>>55029645
>> I want to be completely honest with those people, but maybe it's better to just omit certain things in conversation?
I work on the same principle as when selling a car.
Don't tell them anything they don't ask about.
Answer questions truthfully but don't volunteer anything unless it's to your benefit.
You could spend a whole day chatting about yourself and cruel the pitch.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.