[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Linux has an office suite >Linux has web browsers >Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: The_Happening.gif (2 MB, 320x316) Image search: [Google]
The_Happening.gif
2 MB, 320x316
>Linux has an office suite
>Linux has web browsers
>Linux is free
>Linux is efficient
>Linux is popular among people with weaker hardware because of how well it runs

Why don't cheap netbooks ship with Ubuntu or Ubuntu mate instead of windows 10?
>>
>>55017682
Because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
>>55017742
Things are better now though.
You don't needba verizon cd, you just turn on the Wi-Fi and connect. Everything has been dumbed down.
>>
>>55017682

They do, Chromebooks are getting more and more popular
>>
>>55017682

Because the user experience is fucking shit, still.

Trying to use it with multi high dpi monitors is a nightmare too.
>>
>>55017763
But most netbooks ship with a 1366x768 screen. Not high dpi.

>>55017758
Don't chromebooks need an internet connection to function properly? I've never used one, so sorry if I say anything that sounds stupid or ignorant.

>>55017682
Also I forgot media players. Linux has media players too.
>>
>>55017742
>>55017746
>Things are better now though.
True, however even back then it was ridiculous, spreading FUD and thrash-talking their competitors is how Microsoft rolls, they instructs their employees for manipulating opinions and they buy positive reviews because they know that keeping their competitors with a low marketshare makes them much harder to compete and with that they can lock their users with their formats and APIs. The consequence is that now i wouldn't use a MS product even for free if it's not absolutely necessary.
>>
File: MOPPING_UP.png (71 KB, 965x230) Image search: [Google]
MOPPING_UP.png
71 KB, 965x230
>>55017780
forgot to attach pic.
>>
>>55017682
Microsoft pays OEMs to include their shitware on their devices, OEMs accept Microsoft's bribed bceause 1) it's free money and 2) people are more likely to buy hardware running Windows. Netbooks used to ship with Linux (see: original eeePC) and a lot of people didn't buy them for that exact reason, which is why they now ship with Windows.
>>
>>55017767
Nah. Chromebooks are just a modified form of Gentoo. They're slightly crippled, but you can still do a lot with them.
The main limitation is that most only have 8-16GB of storage.
>>
>>55017682
Because W10 is free for <10" devices. OEMs would have to be retarded to include freetard shit that <1% of the market wants.
>>
It's not pretty
It's not intuitive
It's not widely used
It requires hours to study to become a semi-competent user
Your software choices are severely limited, and due to the lack of a profit motive, they're typically ugly and buggy
You often run into problems that require hours of googling and message board searching

In short, the average consumer just wants to get his simple tasks done without having to first achieve an unusually high level of technical competency first.

Just look at the friendly linux thread. You'll have your answer. It's not user friendly.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's bad for the average user

Of course, the typical response to this is "WELL THEY SHOULDNT BE DUMB", so I never expect to see linux marketshare to increase by any meaningful amount.
>>
>>55017831
>it's not pretty
debatable
>it's not intuitive
my 50 year old mother has been using Ubuntu without my help for two years
>it's not widely used
not an argument
>it requires hours to study to become a semi-competent user
so does Windows
>Your software choices are severely limited, and due to the lack of a profit motive, they're typically ugly and buggy
applies to most, but not all software on Linux
>You often run into problems that require hours of googling and message board searching
My aforementioned mother hasn't had a single problem with her Ubuntu install while her Windows 8 install kept giving her problems
In short, it seems like you haven't used any kind of Linux in the last ten years and think slackware is still the only Linux anyone uses.
>>
>>55017799
How does Microsoft make a profit with windows then?

>>55017831
You seem pretty autistic

>>55017817
Lots of netbooks are 12 inch though?

>>55017801
I just looked it up, it actually looks pretty neat. You still need internet for a lot of things though.
>>
>>55017888
>How does Microsoft make a profit with Windows then?
Same way Adobe does, users are used to their software, so businesses buy licenses.
Also, in Microsoft's case, ads.
>>
>>55017888
>>55017880

B-BUT IT IS USER FRIENDLY

Okay.
>>
>>55017911
Cool argument. Ubuntu actually is user friendly, more user friendly than Windows 8 was with its Metro design.
>>
File: 1442082838281.png (31 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
1442082838281.png
31 KB, 500x283
>>55017880
>so does Windows
The main thing here is that vast majority of people already got that training at work or at school and are used to doing things in Windows for years if not decades.

If freetards weren't a bunch of squabling infighting retards and just made a decent Windows clone, they could've taken a sizable desktop share over a decade ago. Instead they try to be special snowflake with every single fucking distro and clone OSX or some other abomination DE that the market will never accept.
>>
>>55017911
What's not user friendly about Ubuntu or Ubuntu mate?

And what are you expecting a netbook to do that Ubuntu can't do?
>>
>>55017927
Ubuntu works perfectly fine. The main issue is that people are refusing to adapt to a new UI. My mother switched to Ubuntu from Windows 8 because she couldn't get used to the Metro UI and had the choice to either deal with Microsoft's shit design or switch to an interface that isn't quite like Windows but works for her.
>>
>>55017921
>Cool argument
It's 4chan, not the Oxford Union Society. Settle down.

>Ubuntu actually is user friendly, more user friendly than Windows 8
No.
>>
>>55017921
"____ is actually ____" isn't really an argument either, dude. it's just an assertion.
>>
>>55017946
Ubuntu mate has a similar to windows ui. So does cinnamon.

>>55017948
People already know windows, but from scratch Ubuntu would be easier to learn.
>>
>>55017948
>No.
>How to open a program in Windows 8:
Press the start button, or click on the bottom left corner of the screen becaues Microsoft decided to remove the start icon. Have you screen filled with garbage. Search for the program you want to open by scrolling horizontally. Click it. It opens.
>How to open a program in Ubuntu:
Click its icon in the dock.
>>
>>55017742
some people just want it to work.
>>
Simple thought experiment:

Imagine having to use Linux without any knowledge of the command line.

Now imagine the same with Windows.
>>
>>55017987
You don't have to use the command line in Linux anymore.
>>
>>55017831
>It's not pretty
Even if you don't like the defaults of you distro you can change almost everything and make it look in a way it suits you.

>It's not intuitive
It's pretty easy to use but of course for a lot of people it'll not feel intuitive because they was teach how to use windows from a young age and they've invested probably thousands of hours using it. This claim is pretty debatable, i have recommended it to a lot of people that doesn't know anything about computers and hardly any of them and they have managed to use it without difficulties.

>It's not widely used
True but consider unlike windows, linux is an opt-in and windows is an opt-out. This is the opposite in the mobile side and the results are very different (well, except there's much more tablets and phones being sold with windows phone than computer with linux).

>It requires hours to study to become a semi-competent user
You have already spent a lot of hours on windows, if you're not willing to learn anything else then of course you'll not like anything else.

>Your software choices are severely limited, and due to the lack of a profit motive, they're typically ugly and buggy.
This is debatable, applicatons on linux often integrates well with your user theme unlike on windows. Font rendering is much better IMO. The desktop environments can look as pretty as you want, regarding the programs theres thousands of ugly programs on windows too but that it's not windows' fault.

Regarding the limited choices while is true in certain extend is also true that you have access to tons of useful programs from the repos free of charge and without restrictions. On the other side regarding paid programs this is not enterely true, there's competing proprietary software for most programs on linux except for certain engineering areas.
>>
>>55017987
Exactly the same.

GUI exists for a reason.
>>
people who think linux is "easier" to use than windows/macos are living in a fantasy world.

i use linux, but your bias has crippled your ability to think rationally if you think your 45 year old mom can just pick up ubuntu the same way she could windows.
>>
>>55018012
My fifty year old mom picked up Ubuntu easier than Windows 8.
>>
>>55017831
As a Linux user, you're right. Too bad the typical response has the maturity around the level "hurr fuck off winders fud" and the logical reasoning of "but it works on my machine :·)".
>>
File: 1465504296967.gif (3 MB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
1465504296967.gif
3 MB, 260x195
ITT: Fanboys getting their feelings hurt
>>
>>55018012
It's not easier, but it's just as easy.

Windows 8 was really annoying to learn for many people, but 7 and 10 are very easy to use. Unity and mature are also just as easy to use.
>>
>>55018048
Unity and mate*
>>
>>55017742
If this weren't the first thing linked I would have had to do it myself. Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking up the bookmark anon.
>>
>>55017996
>You often run into problems that require hours of googling and message board searching
This is not different on windows, except being closed source is harder to find solutions because no one can audit the code, if you don't like something on windows no one has a chance to change it except MS. In fact on linux you get useful messagen but this is not always the case on windows because they cannot disclose a lot of things.

>In short, the average consumer just wants to get his simple tasks done without having to first achieve an unusually high level of technical competency first.
You're wrong in this point, you don't need expertise to use linux, most desktop environments are very similar to windows except wwith a lot of more options to customize them. I cannot prove you wrong but i don't buy your argument based on my own experience, i've seen a lot of people who barely knows about computers using linux fine. I theorize that the problem is for the so called "windows power users" because they're at a point where they depend heavily on windows.

>Just look at the friendly linux thread. You'll have your answer. It's not user friendly.
This would be true only if there wont exists entire sites dedicated to windows troubleshooting.

>I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's bad for the average user
I think you're wrong, it may have it shares of problems but the regular user almost never fix their own problems independently on the operative system, they take their computer to other people, like me for example.

>Of course, the typical response to this is "WELL THEY SHOULDNT BE DUMB", so I never expect to see linux marketshare to increase by any meaningful amount.
Please don't create strawmans, blaming the community of users for something unrelated makes me think you see this as a tribal war.
>>
File: frontrow.gif (2 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
frontrow.gif
2 MB, 500x280
>>55018048
>keeps mentioning windows 8, a 4 year old OS with less than 10% market share
>thinks this has relevance to anything

>I don't like apples because they sometimes have worms in them
>lol at ur argument oranges have worms too, therefore apples are superior
>>
>>55018034
>>55018048

The experience between Linux and Windows is roughly the same. There are a number of things that makes Linux distros much easier to use, namely a package manager and no annoying "you must restart for your updates to take effect" prompts.

Honestly, the only thing a normie misses on Linux is iTunes. 95% of people only use an office suite and a browser.
>>
>>55018047
get a life dude
>>
>>55017946
Ubuntu is total shit. The main issue is that freetards are refusing to create a UI people actually want to use.
>>
Linux users try to explain their 1% marketshare by refusing to accept Linux has any flaws
>>
>>55018113
there is literally nothing wrong with Ubuntu
>>
File: Screenshot_20160423_000136.png (143 KB, 1325x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160423_000136.png
143 KB, 1325x480
>>55018034
>Too bad the typical response has the maturity around the level "hurr fuck off winders fud" and the logical reasoning of "but it works on my machine :·)".
Guide on how to be a winfag:
1.-harass people.
2.-be passive-agressive.
3.-get backlash.
4.-play to be the victim.
>>
>>55018132
I'm a Linux user, nice try m8. That's the exact kind of behavior I mentioned in my post.
>any disagreement about how Linux is perfect in every single way is just windows FUD!!
>>
>>55018132
how to be a lincuck

1. refuse to accept any flaws in your distribution of choice
2. accuse anyone who doesn't agree with you of being a windows user
3. say things like "nice argument", and point out logical fallacies while making poor arguments yourself
4. live at home with mom
>>
>>55018114

It has more to do with how operating systems are distributed. There is a tremendous amount of inertia amongst the population when it comes to technology. Want to know why www.msn.com is so popular? It's because that is the default homepage on internet explorer. People just don't know how to change their homepage or don't know how. Overall, the number of people willing to change their operating system, much less their homepage, is incredibly small.
>>
>>55018114
Nice strawman. So tell me what is the point of the source being open if we think perfect code can be created in the first place? If the program is perfect from the start then the source being open don't have a lot of purpose, it wouldn't need to be audited and open to be improved by third perties. I hope you're just one of those guys who see this as a tribal war and not someone who unironically thinks like this.
>>
>>55018174
>the average user can't even figure out how to change their homepage
>they'd be better off with linux

oh boy
>>
>>55018114
There's no such thing as a program without flaws.

>>55018101
Most "normie" uses can be easily fulfilled on a Linux netbook, which was the point I was trying to make in the op.
>>
File: mlady.jpg (39 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
mlady.jpg
39 KB, 479x720
>>55018180
>constant references to logical fallacies and "tribalism"
>>
>>55018180
>implying anyone actually ~audits~ the code running on their machine
I'm willing to bet that less than 1% of the users that make up Linux's less than 1% marketshare actually read the source code of their OS.
>>
>>55017831
>It's not pretty
>It's not intuitive
What is KDE?
>It requires hours to study to become a semi-competent user
No it doesn't. There are plenty of OOTB distros that don't require any knowledge at all.
>Your software choices are severely limited, and due to the lack of a profit motive, they're typically ugly and buggy
Easiest way to spot someone who has either never looked at Linux, or hasn't since 1980. But you seem like a child, so I assume that you just never tried it.
Right, because this never happens on Windows. That OS is problem-free, ri- Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart :(
>>
>>55018182
Ubuntu is fine winfag. It just works.
>>
>>55018163
I always accept that there are flaws in software. I know that no software is perfect. What I do know is that freedom allows us to improve our own software to our own needs. What I don't accept is people who feel entitled to direct the direction of Linux without investing anything to make it happen. This is pure entitlement.
>>
>>55018182
>mom's Windows machine keeps fucking up and she's worried about viruses
>only uses it for internet and word processing anyway
>set up Ubuntu with auto updates
>not a single complaint since
You'd be surprised, but Linux is actually great for tech retarded people since they can't figure out how to break it without going to the scary terminal.
>>
>>55018183
Yeah those cheap lenovo and Dell netbooks that came with Ubuntu sold great and barely had anyone return them. Or what about the eeepc? That $150 Asus Linux netbook? That thing did well right?
>>
>>55018216
How long ago did they sell those and how far has Ubuntu progressed since then?
>>
>>55018162
>I'm a Linux user, nice try m8.
no m8, your try was the good one.
>That's the exact kind of behavior I mentioned in my post.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy
And this is exactly the kind of behavior i mentioned in my post too.

>>any disagreement about how Linux is perfect in every single way is just windows FUD!!
It's not about linux being perfect, if linux were perfect there won't be any point on being open source in the first place, the advantages of having more eyes and more collaborators wouldn't be necessary if what you claim in your strawman were true. Regarding to the microsoft FUD sorry man but manipulating opinions is something microsoft actually does, it almost seems that there's a campaign to blow of proportion any problem on linux and to do damage control on any thing MS does wrong.
>>
>>55018200
>What is KDE?
Vista lookalike that's bloated as fuck and kept causing my machines to kernel panic
>Easiest way[...]
he actually made a good point, there is lots of software that just doesn't have a proper Linux alternative, such as the Adobe suite.
>Right, because this never happens on Windows
Sorry, but I've never had a machine bluescreen on my for no reason whatsoever, it was easier a driver install I fucked up or dying hardware. Linux software has broken on me before for no reason, for example my wifi card randomly supports 5GHz networks or doesn't, depending on what kernel I use.
>>
>>55018209
Also this. I set up Ubuntu on my moms c2d laptop and she loves it a lot more than vista.
>>
>>55018209
>Linux is actually great for tech retarded people since they can't figure out how to break it
>they can't figure out

The ol' security through obscurity ruse.

You're admitting they can't figure out how to do anything but open a web-browser. This isn't what "user friendly" means.
>>
>>55018264
That's literally all they do though.
>>
>>55018012
My 61 year old mom did. And now she doesn't bug me to fix her laptop anymore.

People on /g/ seem to think that regular folks use their computer for things other than the internet. They don't. Not really. Look at computer ownership before and after the internet matured. People don't want computers; they want internet access. If the computer does that, then it's good enough and is probably easy to use.

Because of how mature the internet is now, I could even put Chrome OS on my mother's computer (which is Linux, don't bother arguing that it's not), and it would be even simpler for her.

Windows is on a downhill trend and the sooner it dies, the better it is for everyone. This is coming from a guy who used Microsoft operating systems for over 25 years. I switched to Linux a few weeks ago now that my graphics drivers are near parity with Windows and I'm not looking back.
>>
>>55018163
>1. refuse to accept any flaws in your distribution of choice
man, please read
>>55018245
>>55018180
You're making that up

>2. accuse anyone who doesn't agree with you of being a windows user
One thing is being a windows user and other different one is spread lies about competing operative systems, harassing user from software you don't like and the playing to be the victim. Sorry, no sympathy from me.

>3. say things like "nice argument", and point out logical fallacies while making poor arguments yourself
Explain me how my arguments are poor please.

>4. live at home with mom
the same person talking about bad arguments not uses name calling...
>>
>>55018234
Not the person you replied to but. They still sell them, but are marketed towards enthusiasts now. You can in fact get any laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled from lenovo or Dell. And it's cheaper. Linux is more difficult to use. This is a fact and there's nothing wrong with that. It isn't a ton more difficult, but it's enough. What seems like a small gap in usability to you is a chasm to others. And that's what many Linux users fail to grasp. That said, I've dual booted arch for the better part of a decade now with no real issues. If I want to game oe use cases,i switch to Windows. Otherwise I use arch. The best user friendly OS right now is in fact Android for x86 machines. It truly does just work and has all the software Normie's care about. Look up RemixOS,it really is pretty good.
>>
>>55018249
I've had bluescreens on my x240 with Windows 8.1 and no Windows update. It crashed the most when surfing the web with either Chrome of Firefox. It happens the most whenever I try to press the browse button to upload the file but I've seen it happen when writing a document in Libreoffice and when I was playing Microsoft Freecell.
>>
>>55018193
If your best argument is disregard what i said with a meme then i guess nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>55018264
it's user-friendly because it allows the user to do what they want to do easily.
>>
>>55018264
how is windows easy to break?
>>
>>55018264

>yfw windows doesn't have a package manager yet

If someone wants to download a program, they just search the software manager. With windows, normies have to find reputable websites to download .exe's from.
>>
>>55018012
The only reason my 40+ year old mom hasn't picked up Ubuntu is because all of her business related software is proprietary, and licensed to her already, and making a switch would require her employees to re-learn another finance software.

My grandmother hasn't used computers very much, but I could probably teach her to use Ubuntu (or maybe a Chromebook, as she's not likely to need anything more)

>>55018091
>thinks this has relevance to anything
What do you expect? People also always bring up Unity's Amazon debacle, which was also 4 years ago.

Doesn't change the fact that Linux distros aren't really that much harder to use for an average user, than Windows.
>>
>>55018300
>no Windows update
Gee I wonder why it could be buggy.
>>
>>55018245
I literally use Linux, stop being so paranoid and stop using that paranoia to dismiss criticisms of an operating system.
>>
>>55018307
Windows has has a package manager since sp3 on XP. At least get your facts straight man. It recently got a Linux style package manager in 10 though.
>>
>>55018264
That's not security through obscurity. Security through obscurity works like hiding the open entrance to your house with a bush that people don't bother to look through because they assume there's nothing behind the bush. There is no security through obscurity with a standard Linux install.
>>
>>55018299
I get what you're saying, and I just can not agree.

I have windows and linux computers, my mother switched to ubuntu mate, and if a 65 year old tech illiterate stubborn as fuck persian mom could do it, then its obviously not more difficult to use.
>>
>>55018334
>If you don't know how to break it, it's safe and secure.
No.
>>
>>55018315
You're trying to imply that Windows is less buggy than Linux. It is neither less buggy nor more buggy.
>>
>>55018319
>I literally use Linux, stop being so paranoid and stop using that paranoia to dismiss criticisms of an operating system.
I don't care what you use, again, this is not a tribal war. Address what i said the same way i addressed what you said without playing to be the victim anymore.
>>
>>55018348
This. It's all the same in the end for normies.
>>
>>55018334
if you weren't retarded you'd realize that i was referring to the small amount of malware written for linux due to the fact that hardly anyone uses linux
>>
>>55018345
Typical installs of Linux are secure by the virtue that they are designed with reasonable security parameters by default. This is not the same as setting up a system and assuming that it's secure. This is also true for Windows, typical Windows installs are indeed secure.
>>
>>55018348
I'm implying that your shit is broken because you refuse to install the fixes Microsoft has published.
>>
>>55018344
As someone who did their thesis on statistical ergonomics I'm just pointing out the facts. It is more difficult to use for a variety of reasons. Most of this is caused by how customizable Linux is. While it is very easy to use with the right setup windows is still easier. Your single use case does not trump the millions of samples. There's specific edge cases where yes it is better in usability. But windows offers comparable versatility, it's easier and has wider support. Things that Linux isn't likely to ever have. The most popular Unix variants are OSx and Android for these three reasons. And those three things will nearly always mean more than anything else. Arguing against that is a fools errand.
>>
>>55018361
While Linux being a small target is one of the reasons Malware isn't written for it, there's also the fact that 99% of software is installed through the package manager, which is considered reputable and safe.
Malware is so easy to spread on Windows, because the ecosystem encourages users to download software from suspicious third party sites.
>>
>>55018361
It's not because that hardly anyone uses linux. Look at OSX. Tons of people use it, but there's not a lot of malware on it. The reason is due to how privileges are handled in linux and OSX over windows. Malware would need root access to do any real damage to a linux or OSX computer.
>>
>>55018371
I'm sorry, I consider the Windows 10 patch to be malware. If I update, I am guaranteed to get Windows 10 because I have no time to hunt the list of hundreds of updates for the ones that trigger Windows 10.
>>
>>55018303
My good man, what a splendid display of rational thought. I am at awe of your grasp of logic. These sophists know nothing of the art of argumentation! Please continue to point out their logical shortcomings and fallacious arguments. You do the world, and indeed this board, a service. Good day, sir!
>>
>>55018264
>You're admitting they can't figure out how to do anything but open a web-browser.

No, he's saying that the majority of users only use the web browser. The next most common thing they use is office software. These two things come with giant-ass icons in Unity. Windows doesn't do that, so I'd argue that Ubuntu is actually easier to use than Windows for the majority of people.

What you've done is conflated system administration with ease of use. The two are actually opposites. An ideal OS wouldn't require the user to know anything at all about the technical aspects of said OS.

>>55018306
The default user account on Windows has root access. Users can be tricked into altering their OS without realizing it, because there is not always a prompt for privilege elevation.
>>
>>55018411
enjoy your vulnerabilities and bluescreens lol
>>
>>55018416
The default user account had root access. In Windows XP. This hasn't been the case since then. And again, windows has had a package manager since sp3. If people dont use it that's their decision but installing random software is hardly encouraged. In fact it warns you when you attempt to launch exe not downloaded from the package manager.
>>
>>55018395

>linux is hard to use because it is customizable
>windows is easier to use because "it's easier and has wider support"

You're drunk, go home.
>>
>>55018405
>Malware would need root access to do any real damage
This isn't actually true. Malware doesn't need to break your computer. It just needs to make YOUR life difficult, and advertise to YOU, the user. Which only requires user-level privileges.
>>
>>55018395
You claim a lot of things and i'll not say linux is perfect in any way, but it's reasonabily easy to use even if you don't believe in his use case, it can substitute windows easily for most people. Still, you claim a lot of things but please provide some examples on what you're saying and according to you how exactly can be improved. Also:
>Things that Linux isn't likely to ever have
Even if you prove to be right this is just a prediction, the more people collaborates there's a higher chance of getting more designer for the project. One example is plasma 5 and gnome 3 which have a team of designers collaborating. So please, while i don't completely disagree with you don't try to predict that the situation will not improve because i don't buy it.
>>
>>55018450
I'm typing on a phone at work. Our wifi operates on a whitelist and hotspots aren't allowed. So I apologize if my grammar is off but argue with my points and stop shitposting please. I mainly use Linux at home and at work. But you guys are just posting completely incorrect things about windows. Mainly that it doesn't have a package manager, or secured permissions. Things that haven't been true for over a decade now.
>>
>>55018437
The default user account still has root access, you just have to enter your password before using this access, just like sudo on Linux. Also literally nobody uses the package manager in Windows or even knows it exists.
>>
>>55018350
Nobody here is playing the victim or calling a "tribal war" except for the person calling anyone who disagrees a "winfag".
>>
>>55017742
Fucking hate how linux fags try to force their very obviously professional only computer system onto normies.
Very clearly people don't want to spend the time screwing with pointless options on their PC's so unless their running a server there's no way a normie could care.
>>
>>55018414
>...
Again, you'll keep attacking me or you actually have something to say? i don't care how you call me, you're wasting your time.
>>
>>55018421
It's not hard to secure Windows with a firewall. I use Comodo myself.
>>
>>55018437
>>55018472
>root access

Yeah, UAC isn't the same as running the default user account as a user instead of root. Don't be dumb.
>>
>>55018489
Same is true for Windows. You have to screw with pointless option in Windows to get it installed and configured properly.
>>
>>55018496
Yeah I'm sure that third party closed source firewall is gonna protect your outdated system that crashes 24/7.
>>55018501
it allows the user to do the same exact shit, it makes absolutely zero difference.
>>
>>55018491
Jesus, learn to take a compliment.
>>
>>55018489
Browsers are the new OSs.
Most normies wouldn't even bother with anything in their OS other than occasional updates since most of their time will be spent on facebook or some shit on the web. Everything else like instragram they do on their phone.
>>
>>55017742

>the internet wouldn't work on it

Dumb bitch.
>>
It's called Gnu/Linux °-°
>>
>>55018489
>obviously professional only
What?
>>
>>55018463
Linux is Foss. It just isn't going to have commercials for it, a lobby in Congress or people actively reaching out to manufacturers. Which is commendable but that's just the nature of it. I'm not bashing Linux for this, I love Linux for those reasons. But it's core mission is also what keeps it obscure. Like I said but you seem to ignore. It's perfectly usable, and I've installed remixos or a customized arch install on several people's laptops with no issues. There's a slight learning curve compared to Windows. Mostly because people aren't used to it. And this is a huge detergent despite it being a minor curve. While unfortunate, this is the case for many products and is a common issue in a variety of industries (see Hershey kisses vs mini bars, single switch oscillating vs variable speed fans, automatic vs manual). I'm sorry if this upsets you but its just how Linux is designed that creates this issue. And it isn't going to change because that defeats the purpose of Linux.
>>
>>55018523
I bet you smell bad
>>
>>55018249
Fucking hell. I had a long post explaining to you point by point why you're wrong and the piece of shit kernel that is Windows 10 crashed like it often does on the dozens of machines that I've had to put it on for work. In summary:
KDE looks almost identical to W10.
KDE is far less bloated than Windows
Fair point about Adobe, but that doesn't mean that everything looks like shit on Linux.
On my laptop 5GHz networks work fine on Linux, but not on Windows.
I think that was everything. Fuck Windows.
>>
>>55018468

Windows doesn't have a package manager, you mongrel. A utility that uninstalls programs isn't a package manager.

>windows is more versatile and has wider support

That's simply not true. Linux runs on literally everything. The only thing Windows has going for it are the licensing agreements it has with manufacturers. If it were not for Windows being the preinstalled OS, it would have less of a market share than gentoo.

Your phone has nothing to do with you making incoherent arguments. I hope your thesis has tighter arguments.
>>
>>55018510
You have to go through many menus to disable UAC. And even then it isn't completely disabled. I don't think you know how windows permissions work.
>>
>Install Linux Minut
>Want to play dark souls 3
>Find out it's not available on linux
>Realize if I ever want to play ds3, which I so often, i'll have to restart my computer and boot into windows
>Immediately uninstall

Fuck Linux
>>
>>55018540
>KDE looks almost identical to W10.
it doesn't, and even if it did that's not a positive thing
>KDE is far less bloated than Windows
well yeah, obviously. one is a desktop environment, the other is an operating system.
>>55018550
it doesn't matter if UAC is enabled or disabled, because users are trained to just blindly click on okay whenever it pops up.
>>
>>55018557
>playing video games on a netbook
You clearly didn't read the op.
>>
>>55018557

>muh games
>Fuck Linux

Control your edge, summerfag.
>>
>>55018416
>The default user account on Windows has root access.
Technically incorrect. An administrator still can't touch system files or folders without getting an "access denied" message. The real "root" account would be NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
>>
>>55018537
I don't smell bad, i just have the technological skill to determine what a kernel and an operating system are. xD
>>
>>55017682
God I have to use windows, and windows server at my work now and it is hell. I thought it would be an easy transition but goddamn guis are so unproductive if you know the power of terminal.
>>
>>55018548
I'm not dumb. I know what a package manager is and yes it has had one for over a decade. And by versatility I don't mean that windows can run on many devices, I mean in terms of what applications can be launched and used. It is more versatile by default because you have more permissions. Also you criticize my argument yet resort to using racist, derogatory terms. I don't think you have any real argument here. I'm not even criticizing Linux. I'm just pointing out differences in design and goals.
>>
>>55018578
>xD
this is an 18+ website
>>
>>55018550
>windows permissions

Oh yeah, like how a single instance of the Windows Installer is allowed to install multiple pieces of discrete software?

I hate it when that happens in Linux-- oh wait
>>
>>55018550
>many menus to disable UAC
[Win+R] + "useraccountcontrolsettings.exe" and you're done
>>
>>55018563
UAC is far from just a pop-up. If it was there wouldn't have been widespread backlash from it. I advise you to look up what it actually does.
>>
>>55018584
But why would a normie with a netbook use terminal to browse the web, type up documents, and watch movies/listen to music?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160610_202205.png (269 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160610_202205.png
269 KB, 1920x1080
>>55018563
>it doesn't
Yes, it does.
>that's not a positive thing
I agree, but you're the one shitposting about how Windows is flawless because Linux looks bad.
>it doesn't matter if UAC is enabled or disabled, because users are trained to just blindly click on okay whenever it pops up.
Malware can obviously fuck up your PC with user or administrator-level access, but system files are actually protected by SYSTEM level access, meaning that unless you know what you're doing it won't trash your install, just the rest of your computer.
>>
>>55018119
Enjoy that 0.5% marketshare for the rest of eternity.
>>
>>55018597
I was using xD as a joke.

I applaud your stupidity for thinking that the use of emotes can determine someone's age.
>>
>>55018592

Please, tell us this secret windows package manager you speak of.

The only argument for Windows is that more software is available. The fact remains that most people only use desktop computers for browsers and office suites.

>complaining about the word mongrel on 4chan

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>55018482
>Nobody here is playing the victim or calling a "tribal war" except for the person calling anyone who disagrees a "winfag"

You'll clearly don't accept you're being hypocritical and you're playing to be the victim so i'll just let the reader think whatever they want, if i'm so wrong as you say then i am, however let me remind you what post i'm referring to if you're the same person:

>Too bad the typical response has the maturity around the level "hurr fuck off winders fud" and the logical reasoning of "but it works on my machine :·)".

If there's a trait i hate in someone is first being passive-aggressive and then play to be the victim, and yes, my argument about the tribal war is relevant for this board and i said that because a lot of people insults or make up things just because they don't like the users f the other operative system. So let me repeat myself: i don't care what software you prefer, i'm not judging you for that but for the reasons i mentioned previously, so if you gonna get offended for being called names at least think about what you wrote originally.
>>
>>55018613
to 99% of users it is just a popup that pops up whenever they want to do something, so they just automatically click yes.
>>
>>55018584
>goddamn guis are so unproductive if you know the power of terminal
They have different uses. It's a terrible idea to exclusively use either of them.
>>
>>55018624
Who gives a fuck about market share? If the OS works then what's the problem?
>>
>>55018568
Why build a fast pc if you're not gonna play games on it. The fact that you can't even play ds3 on linux shows why you should never install it
>>
>>55018630
he's talking about MSI packages. he's not wrong, he's just an idiot.
>>55018644
this is a thread about Linux on netbooks.
>>
The frequent changes/updates to Linux are inconvenient.
>>
>>55018592
>mongrel
>racist

You are a child. Piss off.
>>
File: Nonon_smug2.jpg (29 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
Nonon_smug2.jpg
29 KB, 499x499
>>55018644
So that you can be an epic youtuber or vlogger? Perhaps you want to do rendering?
>>55018661
Use something like debian then.
>>
File: giphy.gif (988 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
988 KB, 480x360
>>55018518
oh u
>>
>>55018661
the fact that windows has the same amount of updates and forces you to reboot is slightly more inconvenient.
>>
>>55018630
Windows 10 actually has an integrated package manager. It's called PackageManagement (previously known as OneGet, and NuGet before that)
>>
>>55017682
they don't because they do

Dell and whitebox sell them.
>>
>Girlfriend has acer aspire running w7, not the fastest laptop but works for basic Netflix streaming which is what she uses it for
>Autoupdates to windows 10 despite me clicking no a million times while we were sleeping
>Laptop virtually unusable now
Fuck you Microsoft.
>>
>>55018012
I installed ubuntu on my 68 year old moms laptop because she kept getting viruses. Most people that age just use web browsers. I told her to just use chromium and showed her how to use google drive instead of microsoft office. She has had only positive things to say. Her laptop runs faster and she can easily share documents with people instead of emailing them.
>>
>>55018630
>The only argument for Windows is that more software is available.
Because MS provides standard and (almost) stable APIs unlike GNU/Linux where devs keep breaking and introducing new APIs because "i didn't like the existing one so let's make a new one".
>>
>>55018661

Updates aren't pushed on the user and don't require a reboot, how are they inconvenient?

>>55018680

Nobody uses it. Everyone downloads sketchy .exe files from the internet to install software.
>>
>>55018680
>PackageManagement
It literally has no repositories. Can really call it a package manager if by default it can't even manage packages by default?
>>
>>55018714
>unlike GNU/Linux where devs keep breaking and introducing new APIs
I honestly can't tell if you're misinformed or actually a Microsoft employee.
>>
>>55018700
>not doing a clean install as soon Win10 gets installed.
That practically fixes 99.8% of the issues.
>>
>>55018639
That pop-up doesn't do anything. Why are you so fixated on that? It's pretty difficult and deliberately counter intuitive to enable system file access. That pop-up does not do that. It simply allows you to install that piece of software. Also
>Pkgmgr.exe
Can be configured to run with a variety of repositories. There are also several Foss package managers available such as chocolatey. If people choose not to use it thats their decision. But don't act like it doesn't exist.
>>
>>55018693
Cheap $200 netbooks?
>>
>>55018705
>just use chromium
Why not Chrome? She'll run into less problems and it's not like she gives a fuck about open source.
>>
>>55018669
Can I play DS3 on Linux?
NOPE
Fucking garbage.
>>
>>55018737
>it simply allows you to install that piece of software
Are you retarded? The UAC popup is triggering by a currently running program requesting administrator access, clicking on okay elevates the privileges of that program. Read up on what UAC actually does before shitposting about it.
>>
>>55018714
I wonder what happened to Silverlight, XNA, distributed COM and in fact, plain desktop applications altogether?
>>
File: 1455201076358.jpg (365 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1455201076358.jpg
365 KB, 1000x1500
>>55018700
>too retarded to computer
>blame everyone except yourself
>>
>>55018752
PS4
/thread
>>
>>55018752
How is that relevant in a netbook thread?
>>
File: 1455950055870.jpg (32 KB, 300x470) Image search: [Google]
1455950055870.jpg
32 KB, 300x470
>>55018644
>Why build a fast pc if you're not gonna play games on it
Simply ebin

>>>/v/
>>
>>55018763
Yes elevates it to administrator privileges. Not root. Those aren't the same thing, and even if it was how is that different than Linux?
>>
>>55018729
Luddites keep coming to this thread and saying retarded shit and it's actually blowing my mind.

Unmitigated access to a tool that can fetch virtually every piece of information available to humanity, and these fucking idiots say dumb shit like this.
>>
>>55018677
>>55018723
I was thinking more of changes to the features/UI. It's why books on Ubuntu are quickly outdated. Organizations especially find that inconvenient but I also don't like it.
>>
>>55017682
No games without unnecessarily complicated shit
>>
>>55018737
>chocolatey
Not nearly as powerful or well-designed as something like pacman.
>>
>>55018807
Again, it's for netbooks...
>>
>>55018787
>Getting a PS4 when you have a PC specifically built for gaming
>>
>>55018779
Sorry I don't have time to tink around with the settings on a laptop I never use. It shouldn't be default to force an update while you're goddamn sleeping in the first place.
>>
>>55018815
If the argument you want to make is usability then why does the average user need all of those features? Doesn't windows win out in that regard by your own admission? You can't have it both ways anon. There's a reason Linux has a low marketable and they've been pointed out in this thread. Literally no one with a cohesive argument has said windows is better in every way. They've pointed out pros and cons to each system.
>>
>>55018535
>Linux is Foss. It just isn't going to have commercials for it, a lobby in Congress or people actively reaching out to manufacturers.
This is very true, it still can be used in commercial solutions like chromeos tho.

>I'm not bashing Linux for this, I love Linux for those reasons.
Yeah, it can be a double edged sword in certain scenarios.

>But it's core mission is also what keeps it obscure.
well, i don't think it's fault of the mission itself, the mission is not keeping itself obscure but as you said not everyone has the pockets as deep as MS or google for example.

>Mostly because people aren't used to it. And this is a huge detergent despite it being a minor curve.
I concur in that.

>I'm sorry if this upsets you but its just how Linux is designed that creates this issue.
Don't worry the current situation doesn't make me upset but i still don't manage to agree in the part that says "but its just how Linux is designed that creates this issue". To address this please give some suggestions on how you would change linux.

>And it isn't going to change because that defeats the purpose of Linux.
I don't know, i may be idealistic or even naive but i think a lot of your arguments are mostly based on the statu quo, in an assumption that the statu quo cannot be changed, i haven't lost hope though.

Also i was interested in another claims:
>As someone who did their thesis on statistical ergonomics I'm just pointing out the facts. It is more difficult to use for a variety of reasons.

>Most of this is caused by how customizable Linux is.

would you mind clarifying this by providing some examples?
>>
>>55018779
this info is outdated, because MS decided that the Windows 10 nag was a security update.
>>55018798
>how is that different than Linux
by default there is no way for a program to request elevated privileges automatically, a user has to consciously launch it with elevated privileges.
>>55018806
>books on Ubuntu are quickly outdated
And books on Windows aren't? Compare Windows 7's, 8's, 8.1's, and 10's UI to each other.
>>55018815
Also third party
>>55018807
>Install steam
>install game
>launch game
shit that was hard
>but muh windows only!
>install steam
>launch game through wine
>get 99% performance even in modern games like DOOM
>>
>>55018832
>getting a PC specifically build for gaming
>already have a PS4
>>
>>55018769
Silverlight died because HTML5
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-10_13-06-43.png (175 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-10_13-06-43.png
175 KB, 1366x768
The only reason I don't use windows outside a VM is its lack of privacy and security
>>
>>55018846
Silverlight died because it was fucking garbage
>>
>>55018730
I don't want to go through the trouble of making a bootable usb and sitting through that because Microsoft forced an update on me. I have a busy schedule as is.
>>
>>55018624
>Enjoy that 0.5% marketshare for the rest of eternity.
I get what you say, i'd like for linux to get more marketshare because that way it would get much more third party support, however if the marketshare is your criteria for deciding if something is good or bad then go for it tiger.
>>
>>55018630
>>55018728
>secret package manager
>widely announced and reported by multiple technology news outlets
>no repertories
Please be joking my man
>>
>>55018846
Microsoft is deprecating their older API in favor of their newer Xbox/Windows/tablet/phone all in one API. They have a history of publishing various API that is pushed for a few years then left to rot after a decade in favor of the latest Microsoft API.
>>
>>55018843
>yet you still can't even play DS3
>>
>>55018884
>their older API
you mean WinForms? it's about time they deprecate that piece of shit.
>>55018890
you can, I've played hundreds of hours with my freetard friend who only runs Linux.
>>
>>55018879
Unfortunately not. You can't even use it to manage Windows' native packages. Did you fuck up your version of Edge? Better reinstall the OS, because why the fuck would the native package manager be able to manage native packages?
>>
>>55018844
>Playing DS3 on PS4
>Barely 30 FPS

No thanks
>>
>>55018871
but you have time to shitpost on /g/
>>
>>55018900
nevermind, read that as D3 instead of DS3.
>>
>>55018843
Each version of Windows is supported for a number of years. I prefer that kind of stability to having to upgrade frequently and adjust to the changes.
>>
test
>>
>>55018912
A bootable Windows USB installer is far more time intensive than 20 minutes of shitposting.
>>
>>55018746
It came preinstalled on ubuntu and I figure fuck it she will never know the difference. I just labeled the icon "internet"
>>
Can Microcuckolds torrent freely these days?
>>
>>55018926
Ubuntu LTS releases are supported for five years. CentOS releases are support for ten years. Neither of them nag you to update to the newest version when it gets released.
>>
>>55017767
>>55017801
Can easily install a larger SSD in most models. Put a 128gb drive in my 16gb C720
>>
>>55018746
What problems would the average user run into with chromium vs chrome?
>>
>>55018729
Well, he's right. Check out how often GNOME, KDE, Unity, LibreOffice, or any other GNU/Linux run program introduces API being changes. There's a lot of stable software, but a disproportionate amount of developers working on popular desktop software have and will continue to introduce API being changes in their software, because "this time it will be better and more elegant, I promise!"

Meanwhile, Windows offers a "it-just-works" compatibility button and bundle skeleton versions of previous NT versions so you or your boss can continue to run that Visual Basic script written by some guy in Win98 or something. Windows devs take stability of desktop software much more seriously than GNU/Linux devs do.
>>
>>55018952
>Pirating Gaems when you can't even play them
Linuxfags BTFO
>>
>>55017968
If we're assuming there's an icon in the dock we can assume the program is pinned to the taskbar.
>>
>>55018979
>Pirating softwares and own OS' company sues them
Micro-cuckolds blown the fuck out
>>
>>55018843
I'm sorry but jokes about audio RM RF exist for a reason. Don't be dense anon.
>>55018841
For some oddball examples
Suzuki WRX vs Mitsubishi Lancer
The Lancer is popular among enthusiasts and the better vehicle all around. Is cheaper, has tons of options. Better ride quality and has great community support. It is also extremely customizable to a serious fault. This is both it's greatest asset and why it's less popular amongst the general population. That's probably the best example of this.
Sears vs Best Buy
Sears has more appliances in stock, better brand variety and is cheaper than best buy. Best buy has been eroding into Sears marketshare for the better part of a decade and has now surpassed them in appliance sales. Why? Because people don't know what to buy and are presented with too many options. The greatest factor of diminished sales in retail is increased variety. You need options, but not too many. This is why the good/better/best system is so widely adopted in the TV or appliance industry. You typically represent each brand with 3 models and 2 or 3 sizes in each model for tvs. And typically just 3 models of varying brand in each catevory of good/better/best for appliances. Thus minimizes distraction and causes a person to buy in what would otherwise be a lost sale. I was actually a part of the team that presented this model to best buy in 2010 and it helped turn sales around tremendously. This is what my thesis is based on. I did a wide track neural analysis of why people bought what and from where. I found that given a wide array of options. People will often pick none. Given too few and people will often feel like they have none (this was Walmarts problem in only selling GE when trying to get into the appliance business) but given a handful of reasonable choices. People will choose and feel happy and informed. This is a common mistake that businesses make. And why companies like Facebook spend millions in research before adding a new button.
>>
>>55017682
>boot2docker is under 40MB and can run anything
>>
>>55018975
s/being/breaking.
>>
>>55018992
That..... actually makes a lot of sense anon...
>>
>>55018714
>>55018803
>Because MS provides standard and (almost) stable APIs unlike GNU/Linux where devs keep breaking and introducing new APIs because "i didn't like the existing one so let's make a new one".
Not completely wrong but not completely right, i'd say 80% wrong and 20% right. Yes, to certain extent the developers of certain projects seems to like breaking compatibility however development in the open source world can be very fast, this is why certain distros gives stable versions on the packages and only provides bug fixed and security patches. Also there's runtimes like the steam runtime, what developers does on windows is not special, they bundle all the dependencies with the package and this can be done without problem on linux too, in fact there exists stand alone installers aside from the package managers.

Regarding the APIs and formats i think that, by supporting Microsoft you're ignoring a big elephant in the room, they make their APIs and formats in a way they can lock their user, this is done on purpose as some leaked documents shows:
http://techrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/comes-3096.pdf
Every program that doesn't adopts their closed standards is like an small defeat for them. What does thin means for the user? they try to make people dependent on their products and strip them from the option of consider a competing product. If you or any other person, knowing that want to willingly support that is up to them, i prefer to use formats and APIs that promotes competition because that benefits me as a potential customer.
>>
>>55018975
You, like that other anon, have no idea what an API is.

You could rectify that with some research, and you probably should, given how ignorant what you just said is.

I believe what you're talking about is fragmentation, but even that's not so much a problem any more.
>>
>>55018992
Sudo RM RF*
Sorry the new Google keyboard doesn't allow me to add custom words in chrome. It's very frustrating. I wish my phone would update to lollipop already so I could get this feature back.
>>
>>55018993
Can this shit even run netflix? flash?
>>
>>55018993
sudo docker run quake3 when?
>>
>>55019029
>flash
lol
>>
>>55019034
I'm a cam model. I need flash. And Skype for that matter. Laptop is too slow to be efficient anymore.
>>
>>55017987
confirmed idiot
>>
>>55019067
Flash works fine, Skype not working is not Linux's fault, go bother Microsoft.
>>
>>55018992
>Make long informative factual post
>Get completely ignored
Tttthanks anon....
>>
>>55019017
Okay dude.
>>
>>55018992
Oh, i see, i guess you're referring to the ammount of distros and how while letting the natural selection occur is good at the same time having too many options makes harder for people to choose one. I completely agree with the statement itself, still is a bit hard for me to completely agree on one thing, or at least i admit i'm not sure if it's what you mean but correct me, let me explain myself:

If a understand correctly you put a big blame on the ammount of options to choose from, however i ask you to clarify with percentages how much you think this influences the marketshare because i think there's a much bigger reason that dwarf what you said, not saying you're wrong but for me the reason i'm going to state has a lot more wheig from my POV: linux is an opt-in while windows is an opt-out. Simple as that, if we talk about percentages each machine sold increases the ammount of windows users independently on if that person knows or not what is an operative system or if this person know that other options exists. Meanwhile to increase the usage of linux distros you need for a person to research about the topic and to have the willingness and time to try other options, combined with the fact windows is teach at schools the probability is extremely low. As you say, people takes what is offered to them bundled with the hardware, it's hardly love to the brand in a lot of cases, so the only way to change this is if a big ammount of machines are sold at retail stores. This is what i think, your argument is good.
>>
>linux diehards desperately trying to validate their fandom

It's just an operating system, kids. It's allowed to be flawed in certain areas.
>>
>>55019067
Flash and netflix works however talking seriously i don't think is fair to blame linux for the lack of support on certain closed technologies because the support depends entirely on the provider of that technology and often competitors cannot implement it without reverse engineering it, in fact a lot of this formats and APIs are created with the purpose of making for the unsupported platforms hard to compete.
>>
>>55019230
Too many choices is bad, it confuses the normie.

That's why I went with Ubuntu. In my experience it's the easiest distro that works great without tweaks or cli.

Fedora was good too, but their strict FOSS only policy was annoying. Like when I needed broadcom wireless drivers...
>>
>>55019251
nice strawman dude but first think what would be the purpose of the source being open if we assume that the code is perfect in the first place. Seriously, do you really think like this or you're just baiting?
>>
>People using ubuntu.

If you want to go debian way at least choose mint with KDE.
shitbuntu is vomit inducing.
>>
Some Linux people don't care if it becomes popular. Some say they want Linux to go mainstream and compete with Windows, but they have no idea what they're doing. Linux was designed by techies for techies, and it has a long way to go to become convenient and easy to use.
>>
>>55019230
I agree with you. The selection I issue is minor in comparison. The foss communities pockets simply aren't as deep as apple, Microsoft or Google's though. So widespread distribution isn't likely to ever happen. I applaud manufacturers like Dell, Asus or lenovo for offering the option. But this will never change. I can take a look at things and throw together a rough graph to give you percentages on influence. I'll try to do that Monday. That data should be readily available. The primary issue is distribution. Manufacturers will not distribute it by choice because their incentived not to in two ways.
1. Microsoft subsidizes their products. Not by choice. But to compete. They want to adopt the apple business model but have failed with the surface book and tablets.
2. It has failed in the past. Regardless of the reasons why; it failed when they tried it before. The best way to simplify the logic in this without being technical is why make the same mistake twice? While it wouldn't necessarily be a mistake now. They don't want to waste money trying. What works is still working. Why fix what isn't broken.
It also doesn't help that English is my fourth language. So I'm sorry if it seems that I'm explaining poorly. When I get home maybe I start a thread and post journals and my own analysis on Sunday. I'll definitely do the statistical analysis you asked. That is simple. I'll try to write and proofread a short paper to explain the analysis and logic of big business. It sounds counter productive, but you have to understand it is hard to break decades of research and trends. This is the same logic applied by Martell with the Barbie dolls believe it or not. Identical analysis has been performed on these two seemingly separate issues. Yet Martell took a chance with BBW barbie, black ken and black barbie. Only to fail miserably with all three.
>>
>>55019299
>Too many choices is bad, it confuses the normie.
Yeah, this is true, as i said people takes what comes with the hardware, they don't even choose.

>That's why I went with Ubuntu. In my experience it's the easiest distro that works great without tweaks or cli.
i see, i'm more the kind of guy who likes to customize things tho (not criticizing your tastes, just sayin')

>Fedora was good too, but their strict FOSS only policy was annoying.
Yeah, that's annoying.
>>
>>55017682
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT CHROME OS IS DOING YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKER
>>
>>55019332
>conflating bugs with flaws
>>
>>55019341
>mint
I want this meme to die
>>
>>55019436

what's wrong with mint? seems better than ubuntu.
>>
>>55019451
Their security is shit and they hold back important updates (like the kernel) on purpose, making it more outdated and less secure than Ubuntu.
>>
>>55019451
It is, using it right now. Literally like any other distro.

Shows Linux fags will complain about anything that isn't either Ubuntu or Arch
>>
>>55019372
Without being limited to 8gb eMMC and an internet connection? Lol yeah.
>>
>>55019341
Isn't mint just Ubuntu with cinnamon?
>>
>>55019350
> I'll try to do that Monday. That data should be readily available.

Oh sorry, i didn't mean in an strict way, i was just asking for your general opinion but if you want to do that that's great for me (i don't know if i'll look at this site the monday though). I don't want to make you work just for something like that but it's a good initiative.

>They don't want to waste money trying. What works is still working. Why fix what isn't broken.
I know, if you add the lock-ins this creates the egg-chicken problem, it's something that cannot be fixed without an strong will.

>It also doesn't help that English is my fourth language. So I'm sorry if it seems that I'm explaining poorly.
Don't worry i'm also not native english speaker. It's true that some things was ambiguous for me but if you have been here a long time i guess that you already know how anons roll, it's good to be as skeptic as possible in this place (some people is very sensible and gets offended if you doubt them though). I don't ask people for proof often, just to provide a reasoning and most of them fails to do that but you seem to know what you're talking about.

I agree completely with the rest of your post. While being skeptical is good and more in 4chan where people claims a lot of things that are not true i have a hunch that you're not that kind of anon, that just appeals to authority, i think you're the real deal. Good luck with your analysis it was a nice chat.
>>
>>55019473
I'm using it too. :)
>>
>>55019395
ok, explain yourself please, i already explained that the people who uses open source generally is not because they think is perfect but because it's much more transparent and willing to keep improving and fixing mistakes allowing anyone to search for those mistakes. Now give me your reasoning because i don't understand very well your point, not saying the open source model is perfect but i see it as an steep forwards.
>>
>>55017742
>tfw i bought dell notebook with ubuntu in 2008 and saved several hundred $ on not buying a wangblows license
it's a damn shame nobody offers them anymore, but i guess now you can just get a chromebook and replace chromeos
>>
>>55017682
I used to think the same thing, but microsoft gives the laptop manufaturers windows for free and the majority of normies are fucking retarded and as such unwilling to learn how to use linux.
>>
>>55019473
Arch user here, i have no problem with people using other distros.
>>
desu if you don't have the energy to type GNU/Linux you should shorten it to GNU, not Linux
>>
>>55019569
Can't wait for this shitty meme to end.

>>55019562
Yeah I didn't know it was free. If that's the case then it makes sense, because windows is recognized and used by most people.
>>
>>55017742
>to late to go back to windows

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

HOLY FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>55019563
Well good for you, most people aren't.
>>
>>55017987
I actually will admit that Windows is still more intuitive and freindly than ubutu, but at this point you can do all of the stuff normies care about without ever touching the terminal.
>>
>>55019473
It's the same end-user experience as any other distribution, but the security is far worse.
>>
>>55018661
less inconvenient than this shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC4Mlhna6kE
>>
>>55019599
allow me to defend other users even if i know i'll indirectly defend a lot of people who don't deserve to be defended. I don't think is a good think to take 4chan as a statistical sample on how the users of certain software behaves, by extension i don't think generalize is a good thing in general mostly because i don't think the software preferences are related on how shitty the person is.

I think the best you can do is to have a thick skin and filter the people that doesn't worth to deal with because otherwise you increase your bias that somehow using certain product changes how a person behaves or that certain software attracts people with certain traits. While i don't discard this completely i haven't found empirical evidence that the preferences of software is related with the personality. On the other side i think something way more related is how people search other people, for example due to the nature of this place is very easy to find people that likes to call names or to annoy others in general, however even in this place i have found a lot of nice people. In conclusion there'll be shitty people everywhere in all communities, just look for the people that worths you time.
>>
>>55017987
KDE.
>>55019659
This. Manjaro even claims – correctly – that you never have to touch the terminal if you don't want to. There really isn't any reason not to use it ever since they improved their security policy when they got called out on it.
>>
>>55019708
hahahahhaha Okay buddy.

That's about as funny as the spergs saying Windows 10 is a botnet.
>>
>>55019753
that you, bro? you need a xanax.
>>
>>55019845
No, it's not me.
>>
>>55019799
Are you fucking kidding me? Mint has demonstrated several times that they are incompetent when it comes to security and that they will often make things insecure intentionally just because.
How is that the same as the FUD surrounding W10?
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 250x150) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 250x150
Why don't PC manufacturers just sell desktops and laptops WITHOUT any sort of operating system installed?

Wouldn't that make things any cheaper?
>>
>>55019875
Linux is free, so the cost is the same as including nothing.
>>
>>55019875
It definitely won't help them sell if people have to set up their own devices. It's why laptops are more popular than laptops. Just buy it and start using it.
>>
>>55019869
haha
>>
>>55018034
>I-I'm totally a linux user, guys!

Nice try, Pajeet. No rupees for you.
>>
>>55017979
More likely she wanted it to not work so she'd have an excuse to drop out.
>>
>>55019875
Microsoft strategically subsidizes manufacturers. This makes windows in fact cheaper than Linux.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.