[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Printer as a screen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: 2000px-Gnome-dev-printer.png (197 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Gnome-dev-printer.png
197 KB, 2000x2000
Imagine a world where we never figured out how to use pixels for viewing data on a computer. Instead, we used printers, giving us data on single sheets of paper.

How many papers would need to be used per second to be comparable to a real computer screen (i.e. 60fps), and how fast would the printhead need to move in order to do so?
Also, would there be a way to save paper by removing the ink and reusing a sheet more than once?
Lastly, how would a smartphone work? Could it use the reuse-a-sheet method like a "normal" screen, but with a strip of paper used over and over? Or would there need to be some other method?
>>
Nigga computers used to use literal sheets to paper to input data .

Look up computer punch cards
>>
>>55013915
Hold it right there, only say one bullshit at a time not all of them together my brain's melting
>>
>>55013959
I'm not retarded, I know they used punch cards. I'm asking "what if we used printers as screens" not "what if we still used index cards with holes in them"
>>
File: mattel-view-master.png (409 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mattel-view-master.png
409 KB, 800x600
I don't think we have/I know of an input method that would work with paper display.

Now what I do believe could be plausible is instant development of rewrite-able film. Like a moving-picture view master.

>Data Projected onto film
>Film developed
>Film projected onto display
>Film enters rewriting process
>Data projected onto fresh film

I guess there would be adjustable FPS then. But honestly it would probably be too mechanical for mass production.
>>
60 FPS would obviously require 60 papers per second.

If you printed at HD "resolution" you would have 1920x1080 dots of ink (pixels) per paper, which would require 2073600 dots per page. Since we need 60 pages per second, the printer would have to be capable of printing 124416000 dots per second.

It would probably be possible to use some kind of modified laser printing technology to spread toner on a big loop of paper (or maybe a more durable material) without fusing it to the paper and then wipe it off when it has passed the "screen".
To prevent toner getting everywhere it might be beneficial to place light source behind the paper to project the image on to a screen.
>>
>>55013915
probably run on steam with a lot of cogs and gears all made out of copper
>>
>tfw display postscript is dead
>>
>>55013915
>How many papers would need to be used per second to be comparable to a real computer screen (i.e. 60fps)
Geez I dont know, maybe 60 papers per second?
>>
I think without a display the computer would have stayed in the university lab running calculations
>>
>>55017007
>>55015374
>>55013959
>>55013915

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MikoF6KZjm0
>>
>>55013915
I've been there.
When I started looking at microcomputers the standard I/O device was an ASR33. Very big barrier to entry.
That and having to etch your own boards and chips costing too much. Bit switches and LEDs were a cheap alternative but it was hard to run Breakout on 6 LEDs.
>>
File: Bild06.jpg (62 KB, 494x490) Image search: [Google]
Bild06.jpg
62 KB, 494x490
>>55013959
>>55013959
To expand on this further, the german armed forces' Hellschreiber from WW2 (the original design having been invented some time in the mid-1920's) also worked within a 7x7 pixel grid to display the data it received wirelessly on the sheets it printed out

It was basically an analog precursor to later teleprinters which in turn preceded modems of course
>>
>>55013915

Hey OP, love the thread buddy.

Hey, how about having them do away with the actual paper and have a spinning wheel instead that spins 60 revolutions per minute. On this wheel will be an eraser stage which clears all of the ink with each revolution.

The trick is to produce a print head setup that is so fast that it can instantly produce a pixel grid of 1920x1080 within that 1/60th of a second as the wheel is spinning.

Your welcome.
>>
Actually i'm not 100% sure it was 7x7px but the paper strips themselves were quite fucking narrow (you had to take this thing into combat mind you) so it couldn't have been much bigger than that basically
>>
you're talking about a pretty stupid alternate reality though, I mean basically what you're saying is what if we never advanced computer technology at all. I'd say we just wouldn't be using them because what possible usage could creative the market need for innovation in computer technology without a display. It'd be like all the computers today were still just calculators(in application no literally)
>>
File: 1422505051054.jpg (277 KB, 999x1453) Image search: [Google]
1422505051054.jpg
277 KB, 999x1453
>>55013915
>>
>>55020274
xD
>>
File: 1280px-Split-flap_display.jpg (143 KB, 1280x881) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Split-flap_display.jpg
143 KB, 1280x881
>>55013915
A flap display would be less retarded actually, as they were used when big electronic displays weren't available yet.
I'd be kind of cool to use a flip-display flip phone just for the sake of it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.