[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IPv6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: IPv6-Artwork.jpg (38 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
IPv6-Artwork.jpg
38 KB, 480x320
So /g/, how do I get into IPv6 for my LAN and IoT devices?

It was always buggy as shit when I tried enabling it in the past (not sure if it was my ISP or the modem) so I've always disabled it on my modem and my OpenWRT router. Now I'm reading that it's become more widely adopted. Should I re-neable it? How hard is it to assign IPv6 addresses to my devices? Should the modem be doing this (since all internet connected devices can have unique IP addresses) or should I still use some type of NAT and keep my LAN on IPv4?
>>
>>55012759
>not sure if it was my ISP or the modem
probably not ISP. definitely not modem
>How hard is it to assign IPv6 addresses to my devices?
It depends on how old your devices are

Your modem is simply the point where the ISP meets your home. In other words it is your connection to their service
>>
>>55014149
not to be an asshole since you took the time to reply to this post but absolutely nothing you just said comes even remotely close to helping me or providing any sort of actionable advice
>>
>>55012759
I told my firewall to not acept IPv6. I don't want to be tracked...
>>
Ipv6 works fine on my att uverse modem/router out of the box. In fact, i think it was set to ipv6 by default.
>>
>>55014216
Not the same guy, but you get what you pay for here at 4chins
>>
>>55014287
Do you let the modem assign addresses to your devices or do you still use a different router to act as a NAT

What I don't understand is if I can assign IPv6 addresses directly to my devices using my router and have them accessible to the WAN by default
>>
>>55014238
>thinks he's anonymous on the internet
>>
>>55012759
Do I really want to give Beijing access to my wi-fi thermostat?
>>
>>55014440
I just don't want to make that obvious :^)
>>
>>55014315
As far as I know the whole NAT thing should be a thing from the past with IPv6. You just get an IPv6 address for each device and then that's it. That means that each device is connected directly to your ISP what makes port forwarding etc. a thing from the past.

But I'm sure the jews in control of how the shit will be implemented will find a way to fuck that up anyway.
>>
6chan when
>>
File: 1396458015251.jpg (33 KB, 346x347) Image search: [Google]
1396458015251.jpg
33 KB, 346x347
>>55014315
>>55014481

There's no NAT and DHCP anymore with ipv6 you retards.

We SLAAC now
>>
>>55012759
If your ISP doesn't allocate you a public IPv6 block, there's not any point. You'd still have to use NAT, and nothing would change except your LAN would be using IPv6 addresses for internal communication. If you want to do that, it should work fine and feel free to do it, but again there's really no point. The only benefit that really affects you (not needing NAT) comes from your ISP allocating you a block of public IPv6 addresses that you can assign one of to each of your individual devices.
>>
>>55014631
My ISP gives me a /56

Stay mad 'murica
>>
>>55014658
>my ISP gives me the recommended IPv6 block size for a home network
Okay?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.