[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
need an office suite on linux should i trust chinkware, or should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: wps.jpg (22 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
wps.jpg
22 KB, 1024x576
need an office suite on linux

should i trust chinkware, or should i stick with the heap of shit that is libreoffice?
>>
>>54977401
I don't know what is this, but LibreOffice fully suffices my needs.
>>
>>54977401
Depends on what you want to do with it...
I don't know WPS, but here is my experience with LO of what works and what not.

- creating simple texts like letters or assignments you don't care to much about. Works
- creating homeworks or bachelor thesis. Works. If the kerning pisses of the prof, even better.
- creating semantical styled rich text: It's actually a nightmare in every office and other software, as there is no proper rich text semantical highlighted software dedicated to it.
- tables: works, as long as you don't rely too much on VBA macros
- presentations: somewhat works as long you don't care for compability, buggy though, so if you do this often

About the rest, I don't know, but who knows if this WPS covers this.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with LibreOffice.
>>
>>54977401
google docs or office online

/thread
>>
LaTeX and git for version control
>>
>>54978021
this.

LaTex is your friend. But you do need to script. LibreOffice is for MicroTards.
>>
>>54978052
It's alright for college stuff when dealing with a few pages of essay work. But anything more and I use LaTeX and style to my needs. I've asked my professors to look at my work and they've never had problems reading it.
>12 pt font
>times new roman
>dbl spaced
Fuck the people that do this.
>>
Check out kile.
It is really good for presentations / reports.
For spreadsheets, use what your coworkers use.
>>
Dumb Linux poster.
>>
>>54978052
>But you do need to script.
This.
Use snippets.
General thing regardless of what you are writing, use snippets.
There will always be things you write frequently, and having this being auto completed is a good thing.
It is far superior to a hotkey.
>>
>>54977401
I haven't really measured it but I guess is just a little bit faster tha libreoffice.

This is only relevant if you use old computers.

I figured I might use this for an old shitty PC only used for showing presentations on the projector.

It loads a bit faster and kind of looks like office o normies dont get freaked out when they see it.
>>
I joined the chink botnet because I am addicted to >muh ribbons thanks to Microsoft. I like it quite a lot. It replicates 90% of the he functionality of MS office for free and it has a UI which didn't require me to learn new icons.
>>
>>54977401
libreoffice is less shit with .docx than word with .odt ,and is as good with .odt as word is with .docx. You should still use .pdf tho. If you think word is supreme to libreoffice by a relevant margin you should use windows.
>>
set up remoteapp on a windows vm and get into MS office in seamless windows via remina
>>
>>54977801
>- creating semantical styled rich text: It's actually a nightmare in every office and other software, as there is no proper rich text semantical highlighted software dedicated to it.
What is Latex
>>
>not having a dual boot with office

office is the best hands down just use it faggit
>>
>>54977450
This.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.