[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will we see an 128-bit processeur?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 222222.jpg (178 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
222222.jpg
178 KB, 1280x720
When will we see an 128-bit processeur?
>>
File: No..jpg (97 KB, 1023x1024) Image search: [Google]
No..jpg
97 KB, 1023x1024
>>54971735
No.
>>
>>54971735
When we need to access more than 16 exabytes of RAM
>>
>>54971735
Processors already can do 512 bit math.
>>
When we start seeing physical implementations of RISC-V. The creator made a 128 bit extension as a joke, but then found out that some companies are starting to use like... 54-56 bits of addressable memory and may in time need 128 bit machines for large datacenters.
>>
>>54971735
When processors need to handle 128 bit numbers natively
>>
When you need more than 16.8 million terabytes of RAM so probably not in your lifetime.

Data centers can barely use 0.00000001% of this much RAM. Most RAM on a single motherboard is 128GB AFAIK.
>>
>>54972276
RAM addresses aren't the only numbers processors deal with, you mong.
>>
>>54972304
Yeah so you use large number libraries. Where you write chunks of a single number to ram. How you going to address ram with numbers stored across multiple addresses in ram you stupid monkey ass assing dumby
>>
>>54972304
>128-bit processor takes 1ns less to do the same math a 64-bit processor does
oh wow it's fucking nothing

Anyway the only practical point of 128-bit processors is if you needed insane amounts of RAM on a motherboard that do not exist. Most servers support is 128GB, maybe 256GB in a few more years.
>>
>what is the Transmeta Crusoe
A later model was 256-bit, but they're both used to virtualize IA32
>>
>When will we see an 128-bit processeur?
Probably never.

By the time any consumer-grade applications exist that would require that kind of thing, we'll be onto qubits and time travel. I mean, we don't even fully utilise the technology we have now, so there's plenty of room for growth.
>>
>>54971735
Le PlayStation deu already has one, mon ami
>>
>>54972730
I was waiting for someone to post about the PS2's 64-bit CPU
>>
>>54971735
When we want the nanites to kill us all.
>>
>>54972730
Merci de cette information mon cher
>>
>>54972187
This and only this. RAM can be addressed by other means with negligible performance penalties but doing 64 bit math on a 32 CPUS is horrendously inefficient. This is why 64 bit smartphones are a marketing gimmick.
>>
>>54971735
How would you solve the 1.21 jigawats problem?
>>
>>54972163
Joke is, eh... Essentially RV is designed to be very, very future-proof. We won't want it now sure but if you're looking forward 50 years at, say, flat memory architectures with flexible locking in future distributed systems I can totally see why you might want RV128a.

Must be tempting to do one purely to bring the first "true 128-bit" CPU to market, even if it's completely useless because it's so far ahead of its time.
>>
>>54971735
see http://yarchive.net/comp/128bit.html
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.