[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>recently promoted to information technology manager >having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
>recently promoted to information technology manager
>having quarterly technology panel meeting
>room full of men and women who are in charge of technology but know nothing about it
>they ask if there's anything we need to change at this point
>say that we need to relicense our software as MIT to avoid viral software issues and legal conflicts
>they seem concerned, ask what I mean
>explain to them about the GPL, including how we have to "waste disk space" including the license header on every file
>they ponder it for a few moments, then say to go ahead and change it ASAP
>all of the technology staff who generally say "GNU/Linux" out loud are visibly angry when I go back to tell them to remove the GPL license text from every source file and just throw the MIT license in the root

Feels good to be in charge.
>>
I can understand using MIT as an individual, but a corporation using MIT is just letting other companies take your source code without attribution.

Fucking cuck.
I bet you feel real smart now, huh?
>>
>>54967496
It doesn't mean that at all. The code will never be distributed outside our walls.

What it does mean is that if the company ever goes out of business, all of the work I put into it goes into the wild and the GPL won't have its slobber all over it.
>>
Why the fuck would you remove the GPL?
Makes no sense. Your move served no purpose at all.
>>
>>54967532
The GPL is a viral, destructive license which hampers productivity and creativity.

I've worked at companies which actually pay lawyers to oversee code licensing before something is distributed publicly, to avoid potential legal issues. It's just fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>54967521
This never happens.
Someone else buys the company and it's intellectual property portfolio.

If your software never leaves the company walls, why even use an open source licence?
If you're being paid to write software, you're implicitly writing proprietary software with your company as copyright holder.
>>
>>54967446
>tells very specific story that any one of the tech faggots you work with could recognize and identify you

why do you do this?
>>
>>54967777
What could they realistically do to him?
> Waaah he made us do something that's in our job description
>>
>>54967809
Most companies have no disclosure clauses implied with your employment.
>>
>>54967446
Fucking champion. 10/10, would buy you beer. Stallman and his cadre of GPL fags should rot. Even the LGPL is fucking poisonous trash.
>>
>>54967777
>Believing OP's blog post
>>
>>54967955
iv recognized my coworkers before on 4chin from pics they posted of themselves so its not that crazy
>>
>>54967521
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>""""""""""""""""""""""""implying"""""""""""""""
>>
>>54967543
top kek
>>
>>54967662
He is smart
He convinced them to pay him to write MIT

Meaning he can still use the code even if they are bought out
Genius
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.